Gweedore Celtic topple champs Lifford Celtic

League champions Lifford Celtic went down for the first time this season when Gweedore Celtic left Greenbrae with the points.

League champions Lifford Celtic went down for the first time this season when Gweedore Celtic left Greenbrae with the points.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Lifford Celtic 0

Gweedore Celtic 1

Played in perfect conditions at Greenbrae Park Gweedore began brightest, retaining possession without really troubling Paul Given in the Lifford goal.

Lifford gradually came into the game and dominated for the final 20 minutes of the first-half.

As the game progressed they should have taken the lead on three separate occasions, chances falling to Johnny Mahon, Alan Gethins and Patrick Sumners.

But it was Gweedore who created the better chances as the second half wore on and they got their reward after Eamon McGee flicked on a long ball to Finnian Diver who scored from close range on 75 minutes.

Lifford protested for offside but the goal stood. Lifford committed more men forward in search of an equaliser but the Gweedore rearguard stood firm to hang on for a 1-0 victory.

Cranford United 1 Rathmullan Celtic 2

Cranford suffered their first defeat of the season against their close
neighbours Rathmullan.

The game was full of entertainment from start
to finish and a last minute goal from Eoin Sheridan proved the
difference between the sides.

Rathmullan went ahead after 15 minutes when
Ciaran Gorman shot against the keeper and Oisin McMenamin tapped home the rebound.

The equaliser came on the half hour mark when Philip Buchanan played Marty
McBride through and he chipped home with aplomb. Ian Strain made a
super stop on the half time whistle from a Kyle Black header meaning
the teams went in level at the break.

The game could have went either
way with chances at both ends before a scramble in the Cranford area
deep into injury time resulted in Sheridan hammering home via the

Ciaran Gorman was best for Rathmullan with Marty McBride the
best for the home team. Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle.

Glenea United 5 St. Catherines 0

Glenea got their first league win of the season with a well earned victory over a young under strength St. Catherines.

In perfect conditions the home side dominated the early stages but were unable to finish chances that came their way until the 28th minute when Michael Barry was on hand to drive the ball home from 15 yards after good work by Sean McBride down the right.

Glenea extended their lead on 30 minutes when Sean Coll got onto a John Harley through ball and he slotted the ball past the advancing keeper.

St. Catherine’s came more into the game after this and on 38 minutes Aidan McGinley was unlucky to see his free-kick from 25 yards come back off the bar. From the resultant corner Declan McGarvey was required to head the ball off the line to maintain the home team’s two goal advantage.

In the second half Glenea struck early with two quick goals to put the game beyond doubt.

On 46 minutes Michael Barry took advantage of indecision in the visiting defence to knock in the third goal and a minute later Ryan McFadden was on hand to tap in the fourth after good work down the left by Darren Mc Geever.

The away side tried hard to get back into the game but were unable to put pressure on the home goal.

Glenea had chances to increase their lead but had to wait until the 80th minute to get the fifth when Ryan McFadden picked up a loose ball, drove into the penalty area, and found the bottom corner of the net.

Donegal Town 2

Milford United 2

It was honours even at the Hospital Field after a thrilling 2-2 draw.

Although Milford dominated the early stages it was Donegal who opened the scoring.

Declan Brown’s cross field ball allowed Hugh McPartland the opportunity to tee up Aidan McFadden and the front man made no mistake from ten yards.

Donegal grew into the game from then on and doubled their lead before half time when Ryan Early got his head to a well delivered set piece.

Both sides created chances after half time, the best of which fell to the visitors as Gary Merritt struck the bar from the edge of the area.

A neck injury to Milford’s Glenn Hamilton midway through the second half caused a lengthy delay and after the stoppage it was all Milford.

Joey Cullen pulled a goal back shortly after as Milford piled on the pressure. Donegal defended excellently considering they were reduced to ten men for the final twenty minutes.

In the end the pressure told as Christy Mc Cafferty headed home to grab a late equaliser.

On reflection it was a fair result in a well contested game.

Curragh Athletic 1

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

An injury time goal from Eddie Doherty sealed victory for Kilmacrennan in a game in which the home team Curragh Athletic will feel they could have won themselves.

But it was the away side who took the lead when Mickey Mc Laughlin drilled home from close range on 61 minutes.

Curragh then came storming back with Ryan Carlin lifting the ball over the keeper, after a fine pass from Shane Barclay on 69minutes to equalise.

Watson Hire

Division One

Keadue Rovers 0

Castlefin Celtic 2

Castlefin Celtic went away from Central Park with all three points on Sunday following this win over Keadue Rovers.

Despite Castlefin then getting in top in possession it was David Ward who had the home side’s next chance, a shot over the bar on the run. Castlefin then began to create chances.

On the 15th minute mark Emmet White shot just past the post. The away side were proving difficult to break down and they were also dangerous at set pieces.

In the second half Castlefin went one up, slightly against the run of play, when following a kick out which was well controlled, Matthew O’Rourke turned and lashed a brilliant effort past the Keadue keeper on fifty nine minutes.

The goal seemed to spur Castlefin and they almost made it two when JP Malley shot wide.

On 76 minutes the game changed when Martin Redmond was sent off for an off the ball incident.

On 87 minutes Castlefin wrapped up the game when JP Malley scored.

Bonagee United 4

Kerrykeel 1

Kerrykeel suffered a setback as Bonagee came to Rab’s Park and left with a well deserved three points.

Both teams started well and it was Kerrykeel who went in front on twenty one minutes when Kevin Loughrey finished well after good work from Marty Mc Ateer and Cathal Martin. 

Bonagee drew level on 30 minutes when Karl McHugh headed home a Kevin Doran corner.  They went in front on 38 minutes, this time Doran slotted home after great work from Duggan. 

It got worse for the ‘71 on 41 minutes when Doran unleashed a great strike from 20 yards giving Mc Conigley no chance. 

With Kerrykeel pushing Bonagee caught them on the break and Karl Duggan scored the goal of the game on 68 minutes. 

Gweedore United 1 Cappry Rovers 1

Gweedore and Cappry Rovers shared the spoils at Carrickboyle.

In what was a tight opening half both sides had chances with Michael Connolly, Frank McGee and Matthew Byrne going close for United however Brendan O’ Mara in the Rovers nets was excellent on the day.

In the 51st minute the home side took the lead when an excellent through ball from Darren Ferry was well finished by Matthew Byrne to make it 1-0.

The visitors were back on level terms three minutes later when Dylan Ramsey hit a free kick from 20 yards over the wall into the bottom corner of the United net.

Dunkineely Celtic 6 Eany Celtic 0

Dunkineely Celtic produced a blistering first half display to win this match against their near neighbours Eany Celtic.

They went in front on six minutes when Andrew Mackey opened the scoring from close range.

There was nothing close about his second strike as he rifled home from 40 yards giving the Eany keeper no chance. Kristian Mc Nelis and Damien Quigley added two more before the interval.

Mackey, who was outstanding on the day, completed his second hat-trick in two weeks when he scored from the spot on 75 minutes after Adrian Nesbitt had been taken down.

Nesbitt then grabbed Dunkineely’s sixth in the last minute of the game.

Lagan Harps 2

Drumoghill F.C. 1

Lagan overcame local rivals Drumoghill in a hard fought encounter in Orchard Park.

Drumoghill started the second half better with Michael Doherty going close with a couple of efforts. Lagan took the lead, against the run of play, on60 minutes.

The Drumoghill keeper misjudged a high punt down the field and when the ball bounced over him Austin Marron drove the ball to the back of the net.

Drumoghill were dealt a second body blow on 65 minutes when Drew Connolly blocked a clearance from a back pass and the ball rebounded in to the net.

Drumoghill were given a lifeline on 75 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for handball.

Former Lagan star Kevin Kelly kept his head to slot home the spot kick.

Raphoe Town 2

Deele Harps 3

Deele Harps produced a fine win at Raphoe Town.

But just as they were getting into their stride they were hit by two quick goals from Deele’s Gallagher who firstly slotted home at the back post and then a few minutes later from a corner kick that was half cleared.

Raphoe were in shock but to be fair to them they kept plugging away and were awarded a penalty when Jamie Gallagher was brought down after a great run.

From the resulting spot kick Paddy Gallagher went for power instead of placement and smashed the ball off the crossbar and the chance had gone.

Deele got a third just before the break when Lynch ran from his own half and finished well.

The second half saw few chances created until the final five minutes when Raphoe scored twice, the first from a fine Tom McHugh header and then through the influential Christy Bogle as time ran out.

Dunlewy Celtic 4

Drumbar FC 1

It was Kieran Mc Geady who opened the scoring when he latched onto a rebound after a shot by Christy Cannon was saved by Mark Willis.

The second half saw the visitors on top and they kept the home team pegged back. Once the home side settled they increased their lead when John Cannon converted a Michael Roarty cross and they made it three when Kieran Mc Geady latched onto a clearance and delivered a wonderful pass to Patrick Cannon.

The visitors kept pushing for a goal but left gaps at the back and were hit on the break with Patrick Cannon splitting the defence for John Cannon to knock home. The Drumbar boys got a goal back from Gavin Bennett after good work from David Charles but it was too little too late. Team performances from both sides.

Letterbarrow Celtic 2 Convoy Arsenal 4

A game played in excellent conditions saw Convoy continue their good start to the season with a fine away win. The home side started brightly and after ten minutes went ahead from the spot when Kevin Campbell rifled the ball to the top corner after he was bundled over in the box. Convoy equalised on the half hour mark when Jason Toner scored a screamer from twenty five yards. However, Letterbarrow went back in front five minutes later through Kevin Campbell who slotted home his second penalty of the afternoon. The second half saw chances for both sides but two goals in two minutes for Convoy in the sixtieth and sixty first minute decided the contest. Toner got his second to level the sides when he poked home from a corner. Keelin Gillen then broke the offside trap to put Convoy in front. Deep into injury time Jason Toner completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Gillen and Toner were best for Convoy with Emmett O’Neill and Declan Gallagher best for Letterbarrow. Referee: Seamus Mc Groary