Some big home wins in Downtown Cup

Some big home wins in Downtown Cup
There were some big home wins in the Downtown Cup on Saturday with Fintown Harps the top scores, hitting Milford Reserves for six.

There were some big home wins in the Downtown Cup on Saturday with Fintown Harps the top scores, hitting Milford Reserves for six.

Glenea United Res 3

Curragh Athletic Res 0

In wintry conditions Glenea kept their unbeaten run going in the Downtown Cup with this victory over Curragh Athletic.

The home side started brightly and took the lead on 15 minutes when Darren Mc Geever picked up the ball in midfield and ran through the retreating defence before rounding the keeper and slotting the ball home. Glenea pressed hard to increase their lead but failed to take a number of chances that came their way until the 40th minute when Dean Gallagher controlled a cross from the left and fired home.

In the second half it was the home team again who started strongly but once more failed to take advantage of the numerous chances they created. As the half progressed Curragh started to come more into the game and they went close with a couple of long range efforts. Glenea finally extended their lead on 75 minutes when Lee O’ Brien reacted quickest to a loose ball and he slotted the home from close range.

Best for Glenea were Shane Coll, Sean Sweeney and Shane Ferry while it was a team effort from Curragh. Referee: Martin Coll.

Fintown Harps AFC 6

Milford United Res 2

In wet conditions at Pairc Acla it was the home side that came out on top. Both teams started well.

Fintown’s Darragh Gallagher broke the deadlock in the 16th minute. It remained at one nil until the interval. Into the second half and it was all to play for. Fintown’s John Paul Breslin added to Fintown’s lead when he got a header onto a corner kick from Gary McHugh making it 2-0 to the home side.

Milford then got one back through JJ McCormack. With 15 minutes left on the clock John Paul Breslin got another from a corner kick. Milford’s Ciaran Mc Laughlin narrowed Fintown’s lead yet again when he scored with 13 minutes remaining.

Shane Mc Millian made it 4-2 to Fintown and Darragh Gallagher made it five after good approach play by Mc Millan. Fintown’s Brian Delaney then put the icing on the cake with Fintown’s 6th goal of the day when he capitalised on a mix-up in the Milford penalty area.

Team performance by both teams. Referee: Andrew Mullin

Erne Wanderers 3

Tullyvinney Rovers 0

Erne Wanderers played host to Tullyvinney Rovers on Saturday at the Lakeside Centre in good conditions.

It took the home side a while to get into their stride against a youthful Rovers team but they gradually got some rhythm going after the first 20 minutes and created some clear chances but couldn’t find their shooting boots.

They eventually got the first on 37 minutes with a stroke of luck when the centre back was shepherding the ball back to the outrushing keeper but he hit his back-pass too far to the left and it rolled past him into the bottom corner.

Erne nearly doubled their lead before halftime when David Dolan went on a brilliant run down the left and he cut into the box and drilled his effort off the crossbar. Wanderers started the second period in control of possession again and kept probing and got the second on 55 minutes when David Dolan rose highest at the front post to meet Alan Russell`s corner the head into the roof of the net.

Rovers kept plugging away and never threw in the towel and created a few half chances. Erne wrapped it up on 87 minutes when Dermott Slevin converted a penalty after Micheal Mc Neely was fouled.

Best for Erne were David Dolan and David Dorrian and a good team effort from Tullyvinney. Referee: Paul Doherty.         

Glenree United Res 4 Gweedore United Res 2

This was a must win game for the homeside in the Downtown Cup group stages if they had any aspirations of progressing.  

It was a breezy day in Glenree Park and the away side opted to play with the wind in the first half.  The away side were under the cosh for the first 15 minutes of the game with some fine efforts testing the keeper.

In the 25th minute against the run of play Gweedore took the lead when a corner kick was swung in by Declan Browne and it fooled everyone with the aid of the breeze to end up nesting in the net.  

The home side to their credit were back in it two minutes later when the away side handled the ball in the box and the referee pointed for a penalty which Damien Nelis dispatched confidently.

Gweedore started to get a foot hold in the game for the last 20minutes and got their second when a free kick was floated in and Darren Cassidy nodded it over the keeper.  

It could have been worse 5 minutes later when both Gweedore strikers found themselves in positions to enhance their lead but two great saves from Daryl Gibson kept his team in the game.  

The second half began at a slow pace both teams were sitting back waiting for the other to do something. Then in the 60th minute the home outfit got their second when Nelis met a free kick which he headed past the keeper.  

The homeside got a second lease of life from the goal and went at Gweedore like a freight train an found themselves a goal up when Darren Connor hit a free kick from 40yards which got a small nick on the way to goal to fool the keeper.  The game was over as a contest on the 75th minute when Dylan Mc Bride struck a powerful shot from 20yards which left the away keeper helpless.  

Best for Glenree United were Damien Nelis, Darren Connor and Dylan Mc Bride. Team effort from Gweedore United.

Strand Rovers 2

St. Catherines Res 4

Match Three in the Downtown Cup saw Strand host the men from Killybegs in a windy Maghery.

Strand started well and had a few chances early on but it was the visitors who took the lead and quickly followed with a second to lead 2-0.

Strand pulled one back before the half-time break, scored by Brendan Glackin. Strand’s were then caught when the ball bounced off the back of a Strand defender and fell into the path of a St. Catherine’s striker who made it 3-1.

A penalty awarded to Strand was put away by Brendan Brennan to make it 3-2 but it was St. Catherine’s who pushed grabbed another before the end resulting in a 4-2 win for the visitors.

Cranford United Res 0

Castlefin Celtic Res 1

Castlefin started strong and had a number of chances before taking the lead in the 15th minute.

Cranford responded well and had some good chances through Ben Mc Bride and Kevin Fisher. Both teams created chances in the second half with Naoise Cullen going close for Cranford on 60 minutes.

Castlefin had a number of good chances as well but failed to convert. Team efforts.