Goals galore for donegal teams in Junior Cup

Goals galore for donegal teams in Junior Cup
There were goals galore in the Ulster Junior Cup on Sunday with Milford hitting eight and Gweedore Utd. Reserves six.

There were goals galore in the Ulster Junior Cup on Sunday with Milford hitting eight and Gweedore Utd. Reserves six.

Milford and Gweedore were both playing Cavan opposition with Milford against Cootehill Harps while Gweedore’s away victory against Cavan Celtic was impressive.

Watson Hire Division One

Castlefin Celtic 6

Eany Celtic 1

Castlefin had a convincing victory over an under strength Eany on Sunday. Castlefin took the lead in the 4th minute when Ronan Tourish scored from the penalty spot after Mathew O`Rourke was fouled in the box.  Castlefin made it two in the 25th minute. The ball was played out of defence from Michael Dunnion to Matthew O` Rourke who played it through to JP Malley to score.

Eany pulled one back in the 32nd minute when Liam Mc Groarty scored direct from a corner. Castlefin increased their lead on the stroke of half time when Simon Mc Glinchey tapped home from a Ronan Tourish corner. Matthew O` Rourke scored the home sides 4th goal in the 60th minute, fed by a though ball from Kieran Brennan.  

In the 75th minute Ronan Tourish scored again form the penalty spot after Mailey was fouled in the penalty area.  JP Malley completed the scoring in the 85th minute when he shot past the keeper from a Matthew O` Rourke pass. Referee: James Malseed

CT Ball Division Two

Raphoe Town 3

Letterbarrow Celtic 1

On a stormy day in Raphoe the home side collected their first three points of the season. Raphoe started very well with Jamie Gallagher and Mark Bogle causing all sorts of problems for the away team. Jamie Gallagher opened the scoring after a great move involving Seamy Bogle, Mark Bogle and Paddy Gallagher.

They went two up when Mark Bogle scored with a fantastic diving header. Letterbarrow got back into it when they scored on the break, after this they had a few half chances but Raphoe held firm and went three one up after Micheal Quinn was taken down in the box. Christy Bogle stepped up and dispatched he penalty expertly.

Best for Raphoe: Jamie Gallagher and Gavin Mc Brearty. Solid team effort from Letterbarrow Celtic.

Drumbar F.C. 1

Convoy Arsenal 2

Drumbar welcomed the league leaders Convoy on a wet and windy day for football. A bright opening from the home side but they just couldn’t convert their chances.

Convoy shocked the home side with a quick double before half time from David Harvey and John Melaugh. Drumbar dominated the second half and forced a free kick after some fine play from Adam Enright, Enda Brogan and Gavin Bennett. Shane Browne stepped up and dispatched a fine free kick. Drumbar pushed on from there with shot after shot but couldn’t get past a Convoy keeper in great form on the day.

Team effort from Convoy. Best for Drumbar were Owen Harron and Daniel Bennett.

FAI Junior Cup

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2

Whitestrand United 1

Kerrykeel ‘71 moved into the next round of the FAI Junior Cup with a win against local rivals Whitestrand United.  The game started at a frantic pace with Kerrykeel on top.  Brendan Friel saved well from his brother Johnny on ten minutes.  Paddy Mc Grenaghan was pulling the strings in midfield and he went close on eighteen minutes only to see his strike go narrowly wide. 

Mark Friel put the ‘71 in front on 25 minutes when he brilliantly fired home after a Cathal Martin pass.  Whitestrand were trying to hit Kerrykeel on the break but Marty Mc Ateer, Seimie Friel, Patrick Mc Conigley and Mylie Mc Bride dealt well with it.  Kerrykeel had chances to extend their lead but Brendan Friel was having a fine game. 

Whitestrand drew level in the first minute of the second half when Jerome Burke broke the offside trap and finished well.  Kerrykeel upped a gear and got their lead back on sixty minutes when Kevin Loughrey crossed for Johnny Friel to head home from six yards. 

Kerrykeel had keeper Shaun Friel to thank shortly after when he made two point blank saves to deny Burke.  In the final ten minutes the ‘71 had chances through Mark Friel and Cathal Martin but again Friel came out on top.

 Best for Kerrykeel: Patrick Mc Grenaghan, Fergus Callaghan and Shaun Friel

Best for Whitestrand: Eamonn Martin and S.P. Gallagher

 Referee: Paddy Duffy


Ballybofey United 2

Lagan Harps 1

Ballybofey United advanced to the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup by defeating Lagan Harps on Sunday afternoon. The Twin Towns outfit fell behind after just ten minutes when Austin Marron struck to give the Manorcunningham based outfit the lead.

Ten minutes later the home side pulled level when Conor Doherty scored from twenty five yards. The game was contested in typical Cup Football fashion throughout. Ballybofey United secured the winner in the last minute of the match when Chris Darby drilled a free kick to the back of the Lagan net.

Referee: Brian O’ Kane

Lifford Celtic 4

Kilmacrennan Celtic 0

Lifford stormed out of the blocks, similar to the weather, and they raced into a two goal early lead following goals from the evergreen Patrick Sumners and a cool Johnny Robb penalty. As the first half progressed Kilmac came more into the game but never really troubled Paul Given in the Lifford goal.

The second half began as the first ended with Kilmac pressing and Lifford rearguard standing strong. Lifford ensured they would progress to the next round as Declan Lafferty scored from 40 yards on 70 minutes with the Kilmac netminder caught in “no man’s land”. Kilmac continued to enjoy fine spells of possession but couldn’t find a way through a determined Lifford defence marshalled by Marcus McDonald. Patrick Sumners put a fine gloss on the result as he scored Lifford’s fourth and his second to wrap up the victory and cap a fine personal performance.

Milford United 8

Cootehill Harps 3

Milford advanced with a comprehensive win over Cootehill Harps at the Flag Pole Pitch in Rathmullan following the switching of the game from Milford.

The sides met in the FAI Junior Cup earlier this year with the Cavan team coming out on top by five goals to nil. Milford were not going to be caught cold this time round and started with great drive and energy and ended the game as a contest with four goals in the opening half hour.

Milford’s first was headed home by Christy Mc Cafferty following a perfect cross from TJ Evesson. PJ Hagan rattled in the next again from an Evesson cross. Christy Mc Cafferty scored the goal of the match, following good work by Gary Merritt, Mc Cafferty took the ball 25 yards from goal to strike with power to the top corner. Gary Merritt tapped home the fourth following good work by Mc Cafferty. Cavan scored a goal before half time. Mc Cafferty struck again from 20 yards to secure his hat-trick.

PJ Hagan added another and also rounded the keeper minutes later to tap in for his hat-trick. Merritt scored two further goals to complete his hat-trick also. Cootehill scored two late consolation goals and Milford finished with 10 men when Paddy Peoples received two yellow cards and was dismissed.

A great team performance by Milford. Referee: Kevin Logue.

Curragh Athletic 0

Carndonagh F.C. 2

Last year’s winners Carndonagh F.C. progressed through the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup thanks to two goals from former Derry City player Brendan Devlin.

However, although the Inishowen team probably just about deserved their win, they had another former Derry City player, goalkeeper Seamus Houghton, to thank as he had an excellent game in goals. Devlin opened the scoring on fifteen minutes when he slotted home from close range from a free kick. He then wrapped up the game with a penalty on seventy minutes. But the home team will feel they could have done better with a bit of luck, Ronnie Carlin’s header just going the wrong side of the post and Houghton making several confident saves when needed.

For Curragh, Garbh Gallagher and Neil Lloyd tried hard up the middle with Carlin and Marcus Oliver always looking dangerous up front. But it  was the Inishowen outfit that dealt better with the difficult weather with Curragh if anything trying to play too much football. Referee: Joe Mc Hugh. 

Donegal Town 1

Rathmullan Celtic 2

Rathmullan came out on top in this closely fought affair at the Hospital Field. In blustery conditions, the visitors started the brighter and created some early chances. Donegal then grew into the game and came close from a David Harron effort. Goalkeeper Dermot Mc Cafferty and defensive pair JP Byrne and Barry Farragher dealt well with the fluid Rathmullan attack. After the break Donegal grew in belief and that belief was rewarded when Clint Walsh fired home in the sixtieth minute.

Good work out wide from David Harron and David Bustard created the chance which Walsh buried into the bottom corner. Rathmullan pushed forward in search of an equaliser and got their reward when Eamonn Sheridan nodded home from a corner. The winner was scored in the second half of extra time when Darragh Patton headed home at the near post from a corner. Ryan Earley went close for Donegal late on but fired his effort just over. Good team performances from both sides.

Cranford United 4

Dunkineely Celtic 0

Cranford got their Ulster Cup campaign off to an excellent start against Dunkineely Celtic with a 4-0 victory. Arthur Lynch stabbed home from close range after Philip Buchanan’s effort was cleared off the line.

They made it two nil on 40 minutes when Kyle Black headed home a Michael Cannon cross.

In between Dunkineely had a few chances well saved by the in-form Cranford keeper Shaun Gallagher. On 75 minutes Kyle added his second from a Buchanan through ball and got his hat-trick when he scored from a Cannon pass. Declan Murrin put in a good shift for the away team with new signing Kieran Sharkey, Kyle Black and Seamus Carr the pick of the home team. Referee: Charlie Crerand.

Gweedore Celtic 3

Bonagee United 0

The final result may flatter Gweedore Celtic as this was a much closer game than the scoreline suggests. As early as the first minute Bonagee had a chance as Lee Mc Gonigle outpaced the home defence but his low shot went past the post. Against the run of play Brendan Devine’s shot took a deflection and wrong footed the keeper with the ball ending up in the back of the net.

Bonagee continued to press and they seemed to have their reward when they were awarded a penalty just before half-time. Kevin Doran took the kick but fired it over the bar. The second half was a more even affair. Gweedore Celtic got their second goal on seventy-five minutes when Odhran Mac Niallais drove home from just inside the area. In the last minute Tommy Diver headed home from a Chris Porter corner. Best for Gweedore were Johnny Mc Ginty and Jamie Boyle. A team performance from Bonagee. Referee: Michael Lagan 

St. Catherines 2

Cockhill Celtic Youths 1

The Saints entertained Inishowen side Cockhill Youths in the Ulster Cup at a windy Emerald Park. Cockhill started the brighter and on thirty five minutes opened the scoring when Daniel Doherty hit a free kick from wide on the wing and it found its way to The Saints net with the assist of the strong wind. The Saints pressed for the equaliser but couldn’t break through the Cockhill defence.

The second half saw chances go amiss from both sides and it wasn’t until eighty minutes that St. Catherines found the net when Cormac Cannon pounced on a defensive error and his shot hit the post on it’s way in. Cockhill finished the ninty minutes with ten men.

Extra time saw The Saints press hard for the winner as Cockhill defended for their lives and on one hundred and five minutes Ryan Farrell popped up at the back post to riffle the ball low and hard into the bottom corner. Good team performances from both sides. Referee: Victor Rainey.