Glencar win top of table clash with ST. CATHERINE’S

Glencar win top of table clash with ST. CATHERINE’S
Glencar Celtic had three goals to spare in the top of the clash in the Old Orchard Division One on Saturday in difficult conditions.

Glencar Celtic had three goals to spare in the top of the clash in the Old Orchard Division One on Saturday in difficult conditions.

That was the main theme of Satu8rday’s games with the heavy rain and wind making life very difficult.

Old Orchard Saturday

Division One

Ramelton Mariners 3

Castlefin Celtic Res 2

Ramelton took a tenth minute lead when Alan Blaney converted Glen Mc Elhinney’s cross. Castlefin came more into the game after this with both goalkeepers heavily employed. On forty minutes Damien Buchannan extended the Mariners’ lead when he scored from thirty yards. Ricky Fisher then saw his effort strike the post as the home side reached the interval in control of proceedings. Fisher had better fortune as the second half got going.

It was only ten minutes old when he was fed by Blaney and he flighted a lovely ball over the visiting keeper to extend the advantage to three.  Castlefin rallied after this and pulled a goal back through a fine header from Nelis which gave the Mariners’ keeper no chance.

Mariners had a chance to go three ahead again but Duffy fired wide. Nelis then got a second for the visitors as the deficit fell to one. Aided by a strong breeze Castlefin pushed forward in search of an equaliser but it wasn’t to be and Ramelton claimed the spoils.

Glencar Celtic 5

St. Catherines Res 2

Both teams found it hard to get a foothold in this game. Marty Brogan broke the deadlock with a low drive from the edge of the box. Glencar started second half brightly with Baker rattling the Killybegs crossbar. Chris Malseed headed home Pajo Rafferty’s cross to extend the lead to two. Pajo then sold a superb dummy and slotted home to open his account. Five minutes later he got his second after good approach work by Steven Browne to create the opening. Gary Mc Fadden then pulled a goal back for St. Catherines. Pajo completed his second half hat-trick with a solo effort late in the game. Anderson got a second for St. Catherines but Glencar had the hard work done and secured a valuable three points. Referee: Martin Mc Cafferty

Orchard F.C. 1

Erne Wanderers 3

On a very wet and windy day in the Lakeside Centre Ballyshannon Erne Wanderers played Orchard United. In these rough conditions the game was fairly even for the first 25 minutes but eventually the Erne men broke the deadlock with a great finish from Michael “Sticky” Ward. After a scrappy start to the second half Erne stamped their authority on the game and David Dolan smashed home a great free kick. With 20 minutes to go David Dolan drove a ball across the face of the Orchard keeper and into the far corner to make it 3-0. Carl O’ Brien kept Erne alive with three great saves. With 10 minutes to go Charles Mc Loughlin scored for the visitors leaving the final score 3-1. A team performance from Orchard with strong second half displays from Carl O’ Brien and David Dolan for Erne.

Glencar Inn Saturday

Division Two

Strand Rovers 0

Arranmore United 1

Strand Rovers welcomed there near neighbours and unbeaten table toppers to Strand Park on Saturday. The game started in lively fashion and in good conditions with Strand having the majority of possession. The game was all square up until the  40th minute when Arran were awarded a free kick just outside Strand’s box. A fantastic delivery was headed into the Strand net by Michael Mc Hugh to divide the teams at half time.

Weather deteriorated for the start of the second half with the wind picking up and some heavy rain.

With the wind to their backs Arranmore pushed forward and were nearly rewarded with a second goal when Benny Mc Garvey hit the cross-bar. A change of formation after 10 minutes saw Strand once again enjoy good possession and they had numerous chances through Thomas Brennan and Brendan Glackin. But they were unable to equalise and the game ended in a victory for Arranmore.

Best for Arranmore were Benny Mc Garvey and Mark Ward with Brendan Brennan, Thomas Brennan, Brendan Glackin and Stephen Glackin all doing well for Strand.

Milford United Res 3

Glenree United Res 4

In the first ten minutes of the game Glenree found themselves two nil down through a Conor Meakin free kick and a tap in for P.J. Hagan after a poor clearance.  Glenree started to get a foot hold in the game and tested the Milford keeper and Darren O’ Connor hit the cross-bar from 30yards out from a free kick.  Karl Mc Elhinney got Glenree going against his old team in the 25th minute when he stroked home a flick on.  

Five minutes later the sides were level when Vinny Mc Laughlin unselfishly passed the ball for Damien Nelis to finish coolly.  It stayed the same until half time.  In the 50th minute Glenree were in front for the first time in the game when Vinny Mc Laughlin did well to finish after some good work in the air by Nelis.  Then in the 65th minute Macca Cunningham let fly from 25 yards and the keeper could do nothing but admire it as it flew passed him. Milford pulled a goal back through J.J Brown in the 75th minute.  Glenree held on to see the game out and earned three well deserved points.  

Best for Glenree were John Mc Clafferty, Damien Nelis and Darren O’Connor. 
Referee: Barry Hunter

Donegal Town Res 2

Curragh Athletic Res 1

Donegal Town maintained their unbeaten home record with a 2-1 victory over Curragh Athletic at the Hospital Field. Donegal dominated the early stages and deservedly took the lead after just five minutes. Ciaran O’Reilly’s through ball allowed James Feighney to produce the perfect ball for winger Kevin Devaney to power home at the back post. Curragh came well into the game after the early setback and played the better football for the majority of the first half although they failed to carve out any clear cut opportunities.

Donegal’s attitude greatly improved in the second half and with a greater emphasis on attack they got their reward on 53 minutes when Gary Ward’s excellently stuck effort found its way into the bottom corner. Curragh rallied immediately and got back into the game thirty seconds later when some slack Donegal defending allowed Gary Heaney flick the ball home for a fine finish. Curragh pressed on looking for an equaliser but Donegal defended well and were always threatening on the counter attack with both Gary Ward and Adam Wilson going close on occasions.

Good team displays from both sides.