Harps go down tamely in Longford

Harps go down tamely in Longford
After three unsuccessful attempts Longford Town finally registered their first win of the season over Finn Harps on Saturday night.

After three unsuccessful attempts Longford Town finally registered their first win of the season over Finn Harps on Saturday night.

Longford Town 3

Finn Harps 1

Harps have a decent record over the Midlanders in recent seasons especially away from home but on this occasion they failed to come away with anything.

It was a comfortable win for Longford but when they raced into a 3-0 lead they sat back and invited Finn Harps onto them and the Donegal side should’ve punished that. They did pull a goal back in the 70th minute through Sean McCarron and could very easily have got a second seven minutes later but Shane McGinty’s low drive just went wide.

It was McCarron who had the game’s first chance but he blasted over from about 16 yards out in the 13th minute. Six minutes later Longford opened the scoring; right-back Jamie Mulhall went racing down the wing and after holding off two challenges he put a low ball in that Dean Ebbe finished from close range.

Longford should’ve doubled their lead in the 24th minute; David O’Sullivan went one and one with Harps keeper Ciaran Gallagher, he got his shot in but it was off target and went just wide.

Harps had a chance to level in the 28th minute; McCarron played the ball to the unmarked Lee Toland but he blazed over. Ebbe and O’Sullivan then had chances just before the break for the home side.

Longford doubled their advantage in the 55th minute when after a number of thwarted efforts Rhys Gorman’s header was deemed to have crossed the line. In the 60th minute the unlucky O’Sullivan squandered another chance.

It was all Longford at this stage and in the 68th minute they grabbed their third goal; Mulahall the provider for Josh O’Hanlon to finish to the net.

Longford then sat back and allowed Harps to try and get back into the game. They pulled a goal back in the 70th minute through McCarron and minutes later McGinty was so unlucky with his powerful drive.

Down the other end Keith Quinn’s shot in the 79th minute was tipped over by Gallagher and then minutes later the netminder denied Ebbe from grabbing his second goal of the game. Longford substitute Gary Shaw was guilty of a glaring miss in the 86th minute as his side held on for a much needed win and Harps now turn their attentions to their FAI Cup Quarter Final tie with Drogheda Utd on Friday night.

Longford Town: Chris Bennion; Jamie Mulhall, Noel Haverty, Corie Tracey, Keith Quinn; Dean Ebbe, Ryan Connolly, Rhys Gorman, Derek O’Brien; Josh O’Hanlon, David O’Sullivan. Subs: Daniel Purdy for O’Brien (27mins), Keith Gillespie for O’Sullivan (70mins), Gary Shaw for O’Hanlon (77mins).

Finn Harps: Ciaran Gallagher; James Doherty, Packie Mailey, Keith Cowan, Ciaran Coll; Shaun McGowan, Shane McGinty, Pat McCann, Mark Forker; Sean McCarron, Lee Toland. Subs: Paul McVeigh for McGowan and Michael Doherty for Toland (58mins), Jordan Duffy for Forker (86mins)

Referee: Robert Harvey