Cranford United gain useful point at Glenea

Cranford United gain 		useful point at Glenea
The 2011/12 Donegal League Premier Division champions Glenea United were held to a 1-1 draw against newly promoted Cranford on Sunday.

The 2011/12 Donegal League Premier Division champions Glenea United were held to a 1-1 draw against newly promoted Cranford on Sunday.

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division

Glenea United 1

Cranford United 1

Glenea got their home league programme underway with a draw against Cranford United.

The home side dominated from the beginning of the game and took the lead on 15 minutes when after some quick passes Michael Barry floated a ball in for Ryan McFadden to slot the ball home.

Glenea pushed hard for the 2nd goal and came close on a couple of occasions through efforts from Sean McBride, Denis Boyle and Darren Mc Geever.

Oon 75 minutes when Philip Buchanan got down the right and pulled the ball to the far post, where Hugh McBride was on hand to score with Cranford’s first effort on goal.

Glenea pushed hard for a winner and were denied when Denis Boyle’s free-kick was saved by the away keeper and right on full time Kevin Mulhern saw his effort the edge of the box just slide past the post.

Gweedore Celtic 3

Curragh Athletic 1

A brace of goals by Fionnan Diver gave the home side a deserved victory against Curragh Athletic.

Curragh took the lead on 20 minutes with a ball in from the wing being finished by Ryan Carlin.

Gweedore were back on terms on the half hour with Johnny McGinty heading home from a corner.

Ten minutes into the second half Colin Ferry carried the ball down the wing before crossing for Diver to hammer home from close range.

On 70 minutes Jamie Boyle played him in and Diver again found the target.

Diver was unlucky not to claim a hat-trick when he shot over the bar following a flowing attacking move.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

Donegal Town 1

Kilmacrennan pick up their first three points of the season after a deserved win against newly promoted Donegal Town.

The opening goal arrived on the 20-minute mark when Liam McBride finished coolly after good work from John ‘Rab’ Sandilands.

The visitors soon found the back of the Kilmacrennan net however when Clint Walsh reacted quickest to a wayward goal kick and played David Harron through on goal. Harron made no mistake to level things for the first half.

The winning goal arrived with 10 minutes remaining when Aidan Friel slotted past McCafferty in the Donegal net.

Watson Hire Division One

Gweedore United 3 Bonagee United 0

Gweedore United got their new league campaign off to a perfect start in glorious conditions at Carrickboyle against Bonagee United.

The home side took the lead in the 19th minute when Darren Ferry’s free kick found Ciaran M Fadden and McFadden, who turned to finish well from 18 yards into the bottom corner.

Michael Connolly put the home side two up in the 80th minute following a great through pass from Matthew Byrne which Connolly neatly finished.

Castlefin Celtic 3 Lagan Harps 3

Castlefin Celtic and Lagan Harps played out an interesting 3-3 draw at Parkview.

With not even a minute on the clock Lagan opened the scoring with Ross Hamlyn finding the net.

Fifteen minutes later Lagan doubled their lead when James Gillen found himself one on one with the Castlefin keeper and he finished well to make it 2-0 to Lagan.

Castlefin pulled a goal back when a Ronan Tourish cross into the box found Damien McAnenny and he headed home in 27th minute.

Colin Carlin was then fouled in the box. Emmet White stepped up to drill home from the penalty spot.

At the start of the second half Lagan took the lead again when Shane Kelly scored.

Castlefin however managed to get a late equaliser when Dylan White was brought down in the Lagan box. Emmet White again stepped up to beat the keeper and get his second from the spot to leave it 3-3.

Drumoghill F.C. 2 Dunkineely Celtic 0

Drumoghill FC continued their excellent opening to their campaign with this hard earned victory over Dunkineely Celtic.

It was Drumoghill who opened the scoring on 15 minutes.

The architect was Michael Doherty whose run down the left took him past Cassidy to the bye-line and there was Liam O’Donnell to head beyond Donal Murrin at the back post.

Dunkineely were caught on the break through Kevin Kelly, who drove home to seal the points.

CT Ball Division Two

Copany Rovers 3 Ballybofey United 1

This was a closely contested hard fought match played at a fast pace. 

The deadlock was broken in the 17th minute with a free kick on the edge of the box taken by David Graham and headed home by Roger Leonard. 

Copany extended their lead in the 53rd minute when Roger fed David Graham down the wing and he crossed to the back post for Glen Harron to tap in. 

Ballybofey pulled one back on the 61st minute but Copany killed the game off in the 81st minute with a goal from Pauric Rooney. 

Glenree United 0 Deele Harps 1

A single goal was all it took for Deele Harps to get the win at Glenree United.

The major turning point in the game came five minutes into the second half when a through ball was handled by Glenree Keeper John Cunningham just outside the box. He was swiftly sent off and Glenree scrambled to re-arrange the team.

Despite their 10 men Glenree fought hard and limited Deele to only one chance, which they scored from. A cross from the wing was headed home perfectly by Seamus Mullen.

Whitestrand United 2 Drumbar F.C. 0

On a fine autumn afternoon Whitestrand United overcame Drumbar FC at Whitestrand Park.

The game started off with a bang as with less than two minutes on the clock Paul Lynch opened the scoring with a header. The game went to half time with the White Strand leading 1-0.

The second half began in a similar vein to the first with Paul Lynch scoring early.

Raphoe Town 1

Convoy Arsenal 2

Convoy Arsenal took all three points following a narrow win at their neighbours Raphoe Town.

Raphoe went a goal up through Mark Bogle when he got on the end of a great move involving Stephen Craig, Jamie Gallagher and Ryan Mc Cullagh.

Raphoe kept pressing and should have added to their tally but the Convoy goalkeeper was having an inspired afternoon with a string of fine saves.

Raphoe let Convoy back into it when they gave away a penalty which Darren Harvey dispatched.

The second half belonged to the young Convoy goalkeeper who was stopping everything Raphoe threw at him saving from Paddy Gallagher and Ryan Mc Cullagh.

But as the saying goes it’s a funny old game, Convoy broke and Melaugh scored against the run of play.

Donegal ladies help Ireland U-19s progress

The Republic of Ireland Women’s U-19 side will progress to the next phase of the UEFA Championships after a thrilling 2-2 draw wit Denmark at Tolka Park on Wednesday night.

Gemma McGuinness from Greencastle had a fine game in midfield for Ireland, while Milford’s amber Barrett was a second half substitute.

Dave Connell’s side produced a top class display but were ultimately undone by two Danish equalisers. The Danes top the group on goal difference but the Irish progress as one of the best placed runners-up thanks to a 3-1 win over Greece and a 7-0 victory over Kazakhstan.

The breakthrough finally came a minute later, when the hardworking Clare Shine nodded home to give the Girls in Green a well deserved lead, a superb header from a Shauna Newman corner. Katie McCabe then missed a penalty to double the Irish advantage.

Ireland were hit with a sucker punch in the 66th minute when a quickly-taken throw allowed Anna Fisker to convert after Irish keeper Jill Maloney had parried the initial shot by Sarah Hansen.

Moments later, Shannon Carson arrived up from the back and rose highest to head her team back in front.

With Lisa Casserly being replaced by Lagan Harps’ Barrett, Ireland again reclaimed the initiative and bossed affairs until the 76th minute, when a speculative effort from Danish substitute Kamala Jenson looped over the unfortunate Maloney.