Eunan’s send Naomh Conaill crashing

Eunan’s send Naomh Conaill crashing
Naomh Conaill are out of the Radio Na Gaeltachta Senior Football Championship after their defeat to St Eunan’s and Malin’s victory.

Naomh Conaill are out of the Radio Na Gaeltachta Senior Football Championship after their defeat to St Eunan’s and Malin’s victory.

St Eunan’s 2-15

Naomh Conaill 3-9

Paddy Campbell’s Naomh Conaill looked to be tamely exiting the championship at half-time, as they trailed their opponents by ten points.

But Naomh Conaill were rejuvenated in the second half scoring two goals, and when Conal Dunne was dismissed it looked like they might pull off a remarkable comeback. However, St Eunan’s seasoned campaigners calmly closed out the game.

Aaron Thompson opened the scoring for Naomh Conaill, but Lee McMonagle replied soon after to level the scores. Glenties got their first goal in the ninth minute, when Anthony Thompson’s shot dropped short and Leo McLoone palmed the ball past Damian Martin.

St Eunan’s responded superbly and scored a goal themselves a minute later when Donnacha Gallagher received an excellent lay-off from Haran, and buried the ball past Stephen McGrath. The Catherdal Town outfit added four quick-fire points through Rory Kavanagh, John Haran, Kevin Rafferty and Conal Dunne.

Donnacha Gallagher swooped for his second goal in the 19th minute after another assist from Haran. McLoone replied for Naomh Conaill, but further points from Dunne (2), Ross Wherity, Ciaran Sharkey and Gallagher put St Eunan’s in a commanding position, with Glenties only able to add a Dermot Molloy free to their tally.

Eamon O’Boyle’s St Eunan’s had wonderful fluidity, and all their first half scores came from play. Naomh Conaill were clearly fired up for the second half, and points from Daragh Gallagher and Molloy and a well taken goal from Molloy brought them back into contention.

Their cause was further helped in the 37th minute when Conal Dunne received a straight red card following an altercation with Aaron Thompson.

John Haran got St Eunan’s first score of the second half in the 43rd minute but a minute later Glenties scored their third goal, when Leon Thompson caught a superb pass from his brother Anthony and hammered the ball past Damian Martin.

Molloy and Gallagher exchanged frees, before a fabulous individual point from Haran put Eunan’s four up with only three minutes remaining. Molloy and Gallagher (2) scored frees, but points from Wherity and Mark McGowan eliminated the Glenties men from the Championship.

St Eunan’s: Damian Martin, Conor Parke, Mick Martin, Dara Mulgrew, Peter Devine, Eamonn Doherty Ciaran Greene, Kevin Rafferty (0-1), Rory Kavanagh (0-1), Lee McMonagle (0-1), Conal Dunne (0-3), Ciaran Sharkey (0-1), Donnacha Gallagher (2-2, 1f), John Haran (0-3), Ross Wherity (0-2). Subs: Mark McGowan (0-1) for Lee McMonagle (43 mins).

Naomh Conaill: Stephen McGrath, Jason Campbell, Johnny Bonner, Aaron Thompson (0-1), Ciaran Brennan, Marty Boyle, Eoin Waide, Leo McLoone (1-1), Anthony Thompson, Brendan Mc Dyre, Daragh Gallagher(0-3, 3f), Ciaran Thompson, AJ Gallagher, Dermot Molloy (1-4, 2f), Leon Thompson (1-0). Subs: John O’Malley for Ciaran Thompson (4 mins), Cathal Ellis for Campbell (25 mins), Eunan Doherty for Brennan (Half-time).