Celeration time for Donegal Town and Gweedore

Celeration time for Donegal Town and Gweedore
There was celebration for Donegal Town and Gweedore United after they lifted the Watson Hire and CT Ball divisions respectively. Donegal needed a last minute winner to get the draw necessary against Curragh Athletic while Gweedore had a comfortable win to take the Division Two title.

There was celebration for Donegal Town and Gweedore United after they lifted the Watson Hire and CT Ball divisions respectively. Donegal needed a last minute winner to get the draw necessary against Curragh Athletic while Gweedore had a comfortable win to take the Division Two title.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Rathmullan Celtic 1

Milford United 2

Milford scored two late goals to cancel out David Edward’s opener in the second half to steal three points and keep their title aspirations alive, while the Hoops’ dream of a treble was cruelly dashed.

A Cathal Mc Gettigan free kick from 60 yards in the 85th minute proved to be the difference between both sides after Edwards had given the Hoops the lead with 15 minutes to go and a wonder over head kick from Mark Flood levelled proceedings with 10 minutes remaining.

The Seasiders dominated proceedings in difficult conditions with Paddy Sheridan coming closest to breaking the deadlock in the opening half from a sumptuous free kick that was dealt superbly by Caolan Mc Gettigan in goals.

Milford’s Brendan Murray saw his effort on 40 minutes go perilously wide of the far post as the sides went in level at half time. Edwards finally broke the deadlock on 75 minutes, to reward the Hoops for their domination, when Darragh Solksjaer put the young starlet through and he slotted the ball past the advancing Mc Gettigan.

Just when the Hoops seemed to be heading towards a local derby win Flood unleashed a sensational overhead kick from a corner in the 80th minute to set up a nail biting finale. As a draw seemed inevitable, Cathal Mc Gettigan unleashed a ferocious free kick in the 85th minute from 60 yards that sailed right into the top corner of Ian Strain’s goals to steal the three points and break the hearts for the Hoops with a Swan song classic.
Eamonn Sheridan, Ryan Connolly and Edwards were outstanding for the Hoops while Peter ‘Maverick’ Doherty inspired the Swans to a memorable derby win in the Seaside town.
Referee: Mick Lagan

Dunkineely Celtic 2

Kilmacrennan Celtic 1

Dunkineely gave their survival hopes a great boost with this home win against Kilmacrennan. Played in very windy conditions Dunkineely took full advantage of the gale in the opening half to take a winning lead through Dermot Gallier and Adrian Nesbitt .

Kilmacrennan pulled a goal back in the second half through Liam Mc Bride.

For Dunkineely Patrick White was impressive while Timmy Burke showed that he is still one of the best footballers in the league. Referee: Liam Farren.

Lagan Harps 3

Castlefin Celtic 1

Lagan took the lead on five minutes when a cross delivered by Ciaran Doherty was caught up in the wind and when Castlefin goalkeeper Simon McMenamin punched clear Kevin Kelly sidestepped two players and dispatched to the net. Castlefin equalised on 42 minutes when Barry Tourish beat Conor Sweeney to a long ball and slid home passed Mitchell.

Lagan regained the lead on 55 minutes when a long ball from Kevin Kelly found Austin Marron who ran through and clinically beat the keeper with a great finish from 15 yards and they increased their lead when Aidan O’ Donnell found Marron wide on the right, he pulled the ball back to James Gillen who fired low to the bottom corner.

Glenea United 1

St. Catherines 0

Glenea got their league challenge back on track again with this hard earned victory over St Catherine’s.

With the elements in the second half, Glenea made the breakthrough on 75 minutes when Lee O’ Brien and Barry McGinley combined down the left and McGinley’s cross was met by Sean McBride who turned the ball into the net. Glenea looked to double their lead but were almost made to pay on 80 minutes when Daniel Breslin broke clear but saw his effort well saved by Ciaran Gallagher. The windy conditions meant it was good team efforts from both sides. Referee: Joe McHugh.

Watson Hire Division One

Arranmore United 2

Keadue Rovers 0

Arranmore upped the tempo in second half and Daniel Rocky made the breakthrough from 20 yards following a great ball from Ruan Reynolds. Chris Mc Glanaghey doubled the lead after receiving a great ball from Brendan Brennan and finishing expertly to the bottom corner of the net. Arranmore were in control after this with Danny Rodgers, Brendan Brennan and Mark Ward all going close. Shane Elliott then missed the easiest chance of the game from 2 yards out when it seemed easier to score.

Mark Ward and Daniel Rocky played well for Arranmore with Martin Proctor outstanding. Best for Keadue was Danny Doogan

Drumoghill F.C. 1

Raphoe Town 0

Drumoghill FC brought the curtain down on another season with this narrow victory over their near neighbours from Raphoe. The only game came from the penalty spot on seven minutes, when Lynch calmly sent the goalkeeper the wrong way after winning the penalty himself when Kelly had upended him inside the box.

Donegal Town 1

Curragh Athletic 1

This winner takes all showdown at the Hospital Field in Donegal Town attracted a good sized crowd. Lying two points behind their hosts, Curragh Athletic took the lead on 14 minutes after Ryan Carlin had been fouled, thirty yards from goal. Mickey O’ Brien floated the free kick to the near post where Carlin turned and crossed for Eddie Moore to give the visitors the lead when he side footed the ball home from eight yards through a glut of players in the Donegal Town six yard box.

The lead lasted until the last minute of normal time. A seemingly harmless ball into the Curragh Athletic penalty area was nodded down by Benny Byrne into the path of Declan Brown who drove the ball home, firing low under the body of Roy Duffy in the Curragh goal. This leveller gained the point that the home side needed to secure the Division One League Title. Man of the Match: Mickey O’ Brien of Curragh Athletic.

Referee: Kevin Logue

Cappry Rovers 2

Cranford United 0

Cappry Rovers finished their season with a victory over Cranford United in an entertaining game in Cappry Park on Friday night. The home side who took the lead in the 61st minute when a through ball from Eunan Doherty found Kyle Lafferty who drilled the ball passed Enda Mc Hugh to the bottom corner of the net.
Cappry got their second goal in the seventy ninth minute when Malachy Martin won the ball in defence broke free and chipped the advancing keeper from fourteen yards to put the ball in the net. Both sides came close to scoring in the closing minutes but to no avail. Cranford have the play-offs to look forward to.
Darren Mc Gowan and Eunan Doherty were best for Cappry. Goalkeeper Enda Mc Hugh and Chris Kelly best for Cranford.
Referee: Liam Farren.

Ballybofey United 2

Eany Celtic 3

This Division One match was played on Friday night at the Finn Valley AC Complex in Stranorlar. Eany took a two goal lead within the opening ten minutes but the home side fought back well and by the 35th minute they had drawn level after strikes by Conor Doherty and Darragh Redmond. United were then guilty of missing a couple of good chances to take the lead and were punished just before the interval when Eany reclaimed the ascendancy courtesy of a well taken goal.

Referee: John Mc Glanaghey.

CT Ball Division Two

Gweedore United 3

Glenree United 1

Gweedore United F.C. added another Division Two title to their records after this tricky encounter against a hard fighting Glenree side at a windy Carrickboyle.

The home side with the aid of the strong breeze put a lot of pressure on the Glenree defence, however Cathal Mc Bride in the visitors nets did well on a number of occasions. In the 19th minute Gweedore scored when a good pass from Ciaran Mc Fadden fell to Michael Connolly who finished well.

The Gweedore pressure continued and 3 minutes later Connolly made it 2-0 after showing good skill and executing a good finish. United had a number of chances to extend their lead however it remained 2-0 until the interval. Glenree came out in the second half and tried to press to pull one back, however in the 56th minute Gweedore were rewarded with a penalty when Ciaran Mc Fadden was brought down in the box. Shane “Baggio” O’ Donnell converted the penalty to make it 3-0.

The visitors with the aid of the strong breeze pushed forward and pinned the home defence back, however the home side stood firm. The visitors got a consolation in the 89th minute when Damien Nelis finished well and the game ended 3-1. It was a good team performance by both teams . Gweedore United F.C. were crowned champions at their home Carrickboyle where they haven’t lost all season and were presented with the CT Ball Cup by Terry Leyden of the Donegal Junior League.

Convoy Arsenal 1

Letterbarrow Celtic 2

Slow start by both teams until a through ball by Convoy allowed Mickey Melaugh to chip the stranded keeper on 20 minutes. Good play from Letterbarrow allowed Paul Murrin to beat the offside and slot home. Within 2 minutes Letterbarrow took the lead when the ball was hammered home after a great strike came of the bar.

Best for Letterbarrow Emmet O’Neill, James Mc Grory and Christopher Burke.

Old Orchard Inn Division One

Castlefin Celtic Res 2

Glencar Celtic 5

Castlefin ended their league campaign with a defeat after Glencar emerged winners in a eight goal thriller played in blustery conditions in Parkview. Castlefin took the lead in the 18th minute when Johnny Bogle played through Ronan Tourish who slotted home. Glencar responded with Anthony Doherty equalising and Marty Bropgan put them ahead on 42 minutes. Doherty extended the lead and Paddy Rafferty added another.

In the 60th minute Castlefin pulled a goal back when Stephen Lafferty slammed home a Ronan Tourish cross. Mark Molloy pulled another goal back for the home side after good work from Darren Bogan with 70 minutes played. However in the 82nd minute Paddy Rafferty wrapped up the points for Glencar after a neat finish.

Ramelton Mariners 3

Mulroy Celtic 1

The Mariners consolidated their place as runners up in the Old Orchard Inn Division 1 of the Saturday League with a final day victory over Mulroy Celtic at a windy Kerrykeel on Saturday.

Goals from Kevin ‘Ozil’ Coyle, Bobby Hanlon and Paul Stevenson were enough to ensure a good end to the season for long standing clubman William Blaney in his first year as manager

Mark Griffin was the Mulroy scorer.

Fintown Harps 1

Erne Wanderers 1

On a fine Friday evening to Pairc Acla the spoils were shared. The goals came in the second half with Michael Ward’s effort deflected past JP Breslin but John Molloy had a late equaliser.

Glencar Inn Division Two

Tullyvinney Rovers 2

Milford United Res 4

Milford came out on top in this game. In the 26th minute Christy McCafferty had Milford ahead and he doubled their lead on 35 minutes. Lee Burke had their third after the break before Tullyvinney registerd through a Paddy Cassidy penalty. They got back on level terms but then had a man sent off.

Tullyvinney pressed for an equaliser and were caught on the break when Gareth Kerrigan lashed on to the ball and raced through to score on the 88th minute.

Deele Harps 3

Donegal Town Res 0

Deele had an easy victory over Donegal Town with goals Kieran McGowan, Paul Lynch and Shane Gallagher.

Donegal Town had a penalty saved in the first half, Christopher Roulstone saving brilliantly from Ted Bustard.

Gweedore United Res 1

Glenree United Res 1

The points were shared at a cold and windy Carrickboyle. The visitors got their goal in the 13th minute when the referee awarded Glenree a penalty which was well converted by Damien Nelis.

The second half saw Gweedore with all the possession and the aid of the strong breeze. The home side pressed and pressed and in the 56th minute Sean Mc Mahon equalised when his excellent free kick went into the top right corner from 20yards

Keadue Rovers Res 2

Cranford United Res 1

Keadue ended their first season in the Saturday league with a good 2-1 victory over Cranford to finish a satisfactory 4th place in the league.

In the 42nd minute Cranford went one up when Michael Logue’s shot from the edge of the area squirmed under keeper Ben Boyle. In the second half and Keadue had most of the play and Damien Hanlon and he lobbed a great effort from 35 yards over the keeper. The home teamwent ahead after 65 minutes when a corner, which Cranford failed to clear, fell to Packie Mc Gonagle and he headed home from close range.