McDaid star of the show as Termon and Dungloe draw

McDaid star of the show as Termon and Dungloe draw
Dara McDaid kicked a goal and seven points including a late, late equaliser as Termon and Dungloe drew in a highly entertaining and open championship encounter at the Burn, Road, Termon on Saturday evening.

Dara McDaid kicked a goal and seven points including a late, late equaliser as Termon and Dungloe drew in a highly entertaining and open championship encounter at the Burn, Road, Termon on Saturday evening.

Termon 2-9

Dungloe 1-12

Minor ace McDaid tapped over the levelling point from from 20m, having missed from the same distance but from a more acute angle one minute earlier.

It was no more than the locals deserved for their industry and work rate against the slightly better footballing side, Dungloe.

Three times in the second half they came from behind when it looked like Dungloe had that little extra bit of quality to see them take the spoils.

Twice goals proved to be the crucial scores. The first from Paddy McDaid six minutes into the new half was slightly of the gifted variety when Mark Clerkin and Raymond Sweeney got their signals mixed up in the Dungloe half-back line.

The experienced McDaid nipped in to carry a good 40 yards untouched to drill past the stranded Ciaran Sharkey in the Dungloe goals.

The goal propelled Termon to the front for the first time since the middle of the first half as the led 1-5 to 1-4, with Dungloe still to register in the second period.

With Noel McBride coming into his own around midfield Dungloe were soon back in front again courtesy of an Adrian Sweeney free and a brilliant point from David McCarron, that could go down as a half goal chance.

And while Aidan Sweeney glided through to slot over to equalise once more on 42 minutes Dungloe, playing with a little more urgency and upping the pace by the three quarter mark, were three up again as Martin Redmond, Adrian Sweeney and Mark Sweeney all knocked over points to make it 1-9 to 1-6, with a little over 12 minutes of normal time remaining.

But with Dara McDaid impeccable in front of the posts and Termon refusing to buckle the margin was back down to one again by the 53rd minute.

And was the case minutes earlier any time Termon threatened Dungloe just seemed to have the ability to step up and pull away again.

Adrian Hanlon, with his first touch after being introduced, got the Dungloe scoring machine up and running again when he combined with McCarron to split Michael Boyle’s posts for a point, that must also go down as a goal opportunity.

And when shortly after Adrian Sweeney found McCarron, the young minor made no mistake and all of a sudden Dungloe were three in front again with just over 55 minutes on the clock.

However, Termon once again found the way through for another goal. This time a long ball in over the top from Ollie Doherty found danger man Dara McDaid inside his marker Doalty Boyle, and while the angle was tight McDaid did not let the opportunity slip as he slid the ball under the advancing Sharkey for goal number two for Termon.

That was on 58 minutes and all of a sudden it was all square once again Dungloe 1-11, Termon 2-8 and the clock ticking and the draw looking the likely outcome.

Dungloe had other ideas though and when Shaun Sharkey, 60 seconds later, drove forward to take from Adrian Sweeney, the Rosses men had their noses back in front once.

But as they had shown from very early Termon were not going to lie down. And while Dungloe did most of the pressing in the time added on, twice Termon hit them on the break and after failing to convert the first opportunity - albeit from a tight angle - McDaid did not fluff his lines a second time.

He coolly tapped over from 20 metres after referee Connie Doherty moved the ball to straight in front of the posts after a short dust up and dissent in the Dungloe defence.

McDaid’s strike was the second last kick of the game, as Connie Doherty sounded the final whistle from the following kick-out.

Dungloe played the closing seconds with 14 men after Martin Redmond was sent off on a second yellow following the dust up before McDaid’s point.

Signalled his intention

Man of the match McDaid, had signalled his intention and displayed his class from very early.

While Mark Clerkin had the opening score, McDaid hit the game’s next three scores, one from a 20 metre free, one from a 45 and the other from play, to see the locals lead 0-3 to 0-1 after 17 minutes.

He also was denied a goal too when one on one with Dungloe ‘keeper Ciaran Sharkey, who pulled off a brilliant point blank save with his foot.

Dungloe were first to raise a green flag when Martin Redmond, from an Adrian Sweeney lay off, cracked past Michael Boyle.

That was on 18 minutes and with McCarron and Gerard Walsh adding points to a McDaid free and Stephen McIlwaine from play, Dungloe went in at the break, 1-4 to 0-5, in front.

Termon: Michael Boyle; Joe O’Donnell, Kevin McGettigan, Jamie McIlwaine; Jimmy Gallagher, Anthony McGrenra, Kevin McIlwaine, Bernard Alcorn, Ollie Doherty; Daniel Conaghan, Aidan Sweeney (0-1), Kevin McDaid; Dara McDaid (1-7,3f, 1’45’), Paddy McDaid (1-0), Stephen McIlwaine (0-1). Subs: Trevor Alcorn for D. Connaghan (21); Johnny McCafferty for J. McIlwaine (46).

Dungloe: Ciaran Sharkey; Doalty Boyle, Gavin Ward, Owen Scally; Martin Redmond (1-1), Shaun Sharkey (0-1), Mark Sweeney (0-1); Raymond Sweeney, Noel McBride; Mark Clerkin (0-2,2f), Jack Scally, Gerard Walsh (0-1); Adrian Sweeney (0-2,1f), Conor Greene, David McCarron (0-3). Subs: Adrian Hanlon (0-1) for C. Greene (46); Eoin Redmond for E. Scally (53 inj).

Referee: Connie Doherty (Naomh Conail).

Senior Reserve Championship

Dungloe 0-10

Termon 0-6

Dungloe got their reserve championship campaign off to a winning start with a four points victory over Termon, in the curtain raiser at the Burn Road, on Saturday evening.

The winners led 0-7 to 0-1 at half-time with Brendan McGarvey and Thomas Brennan doing the bulk of the scoring.

Dungloe: C. McGlynn (0-1,1,f); E Sweeney, M Connolly, C Carr; D O’Donell, M Boyle, D McGee; D Rodgers, B McGarvey (0-5, 1.f, 1.45); A Neilly, D Hanlon, P Ferry (0-1); R Wherley, T. Brennan (0-3), Joe Sweeney. Subs: D Reilly for M Boyle (h/t inj); S. Doogan for J. Sweeney (55).

Termon: C Tinney; D Nelis, S R McDaid, J J McLaughlin; D Toland, P McGettigan, B Nelis; G Gorman, M O’Donnell (0-1,1f); M Gallagher (0-1,1,45), P Hilferty (0-1), A Friel; F Friel (0-2), C Gallon (0-1),J English. Subs: C. McGettigan for G Gorman (45), C Murray for D Toland (48); P McMenamin for J English (55).

Referee: Don Langan St. Michaels.