Glenea miss the chance to go top of Premier Division

GLENEA UNITED remain in third place in the Brian McCormick Sports Donegal League Premier Division a point behind Lifford Celtic and Kilmacrennan Celtic.

GLENEA UNITED remain in third place in the Brian McCormick Sports Donegal League Premier Division a point behind Lifford Celtic and Kilmacrennan Celtic.

Tom Coll’s defending league champions appeared to be returning to the summit of the table yesterday as they led Lagan Harps by two goals to nil. However, the Manorcunningham side got back on terms in a 2-2 draw.

Brian McCormick Premier Division

Lagan Harps 2

Glenea United 2

Glenea United squandered a two-goal lead in yesterday’s reversed fixture at Glasserchoo against Lagan Harps.

It was the home side that started the brightest and took a two goal lead through goals from Michael Barry and Ryan McFadden.

Lagan pulled a goal back through Declan Sweeney and equalised through Kevin McHugh. Glenea pushed hard for a winner but were unable get it.

Rathmullan Celtic 3

Castlefin Celtic 1

Rathmullan Celtic remain in the hunt for honours at the top of the Premier Division thanks to a routine win over bottom of the table Castlefin Celtic.

The Seasiders got off to a sensational start after five minutes when a cross was headed down by Eamonn Sheridan to his cousin Oisin McMenamin, who unleashed an unstoppable volley.

The hosts doubled their advantage on 18 minutes when Aaron Mc Clafferty flicked the ball in to full back Paddy Sheridan, who drilled his strike into the bottom corner.

The Hoops put the game beyond doubt in the 28th minute when McMenamin crossed into midfield maestro Eoin Sheridan who wrapped up a much needed win for the Hoops with a calm finish inside the area.

Castlefin were finally rewarded for their rich vein of form in the second period when Ronan Tourish found the back of the net in the 83rd minute to reduce the deficit with a fine finish from inside the area. 

Dunkineely Celtic 2

Gweedore Celtic 3

Gweedore Celtic moved up to the relative comfort of mid-table thanks to a 3-2 win over Dunkineely Celtic in a match that was reversed to An Screaban.

Jamie Boyle put Gweedore in front aftre 14 minutes from a long ball from the end line. Owenie McGarvey then doubled the lead with a deflected effort on 24 minutes.

Ten minutes into the second half Dunkineely pulled one back through Andrew Nesbitt and Ronan Boyle was then on hand to level things up. Just when it looked like it would finish level, Tomas Diver popped up with a late winner.

Watson Hire Division One

Eany Celtic 0

Cappry Rovers 2

The visitors went away from Inver with all three points following a hard battle with Eany Celtic.

Both sides had chances in the first half but were unable to make the breakthrough. The teams were still scoreless at half time. Eany had the better of the exchanges at the start of the second half with Seamie Cannon going close on the hour.

The breakthrough came in the 65th minute when Kyle Lafferty latched onto a ball played into the box. Eany went close to finding the equaliser on several occasions but were unable to score the elusive goal and Barney Lafferty got the second Cappry goal in injury time

CT Ball Division Two

Copany Rovers 1

Kerrykeel ’71 FC 6

Kerrykeel underlined their title credentials as Mark Friel scored four goals in their large win over Copany in a match moved to the Lakeside Center, Ballyshannon.

Mark Friel opened the scoring after 18 minutes and the same player netted on 25. Johnny Friel grabbed the third and fourth on 36 and 51 minutes, with Friel completing his hat-trick on 55 minutes.

Friel grabbed his fourth on 72 minutes before Paul Clarke netted a late consolation for Copany after 80 minutes.

Whitestrand United 3

Bonagee United 1

Whitestrand were victorious against Bonagee United yesterday in what was a superb game played in tricky conditions.

In what was really a must win game for the home team they got off to a magnificent start with Shaun Martin finishing superbly to get his first goal of the season .

The first half was played at a high tempo throughout with both sides playing some beautiful football but it was Whitestrand that struck again on the stroke of half time.

Calvin McGowan whipped in a great corner and Michael Sweeney finished clinically. Bonagee came out all guns blazing for the second half and got a goal back with 25 minutes remaining .

The hosts struck the final and decisive blow thanks once again to the goal scoring machine Michael Sweeney. Sweeney ran onto a sublime through ball from Shauny Gallagher and finished at the second attempt.

Whitestrand deserved the three points in what was a pulsating encounter from the first whistle to the last .

Old Orchard Inn Division One

Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 1

Castlefin Celtic Reserves 3

Castlefin Celtic got the better of Kilmacrennan Celtic reserves on Saturday afternoon.

A quiet first half ended 0-0, chances were very limited for both teams. Castlefin got the first goal of the match just five minutes into the second half when John Mc Granaghan headed in from a well worked free kick.

Kilmacrennan applied some pressure and got their reward after an hour. Paul Mc Eldowney rose well at the back post to head in Steve McElwaine’s corner.

The game opened up after this with both teams creating chances. Mark Lafferty struck for Castlefin with five minutes to go with a good finish from the edge of the box.

Kilmacrennan were pushing, trying to get a late equaliser, but were dealt another blow in the last minute when Mark Lafferty tucked in a rebound after a brave save from Kilmacrennan keeper

Fintown Harps AFC 1

Glenea United Reserves 1

Fintown Harps and Glenea United, who are third and fourth in the Old Orchard Inn Division One table respectively, shared the spoils at Pairc Acla on Saturday.

In perfect playing conditions the Harps took the lead on the 10th minute when Stephen Molloy crossed a ball in from the right wing and it slipped into the back of the net.

Fintown continued to create scoring opportunities but were unsuccessful. Then, on 43 minutes, Glenea came within inches of making it all level but JP Breslin did very well to clear it off the line.

The second half started well for the Glenea men. They got the equaliser in the 55th minute when the ball came to Tommy Rodgers, after good team work, and he smashed it into the Fintown goal. In the 25th minute of the second half Fintown were awarded a penalty from a handball in the box.

Daragh Gallagher stood up to the ball but sent it to the left and wide. The Harps pushed hard at the end to get a winner but to no avail. The game finished all level in Fintown.

Downtown Cup Group A

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Erne Wanderers 9

Erne Wanderers continued on their goal trail when they hammered Tullyvinny Rovers on Saturday.

The Ballyshannon side have scored 24 goals in just four group games. They away team opened their scoring account in the second minute of the game when goal machine Sticky Ward finished off a fine move with a fierce shot from 12 yards out.

In the 22nd minute Dermot Slevin unleashed a fierce shot which was parried by the Tullyvinney keeper Thomas McBride unfortunately into the path of the inrushing Eamon Cleary.

Eight minutes later, Eamon Cleary registered Erne’s third goal after a fine passing move down the right hand side. Johnny Corcoran scored Tullyvinney’s only goal in the 39th minute with a well placed shot from twenty-five yards into the top corner of the net.

The score at half- time was 3-1. In the second half despite hard work by Tullyvinney they couldn’t handle the experienced Erne Wanderers outfit with Sticky Ward registering four more goals one of which was a spectacular overhead kick from the edge of the 18-yard box.

Diarmuid Spratt rounded off a fine performance when he scored and David Dolan put the icing on the cake for the Erne side when he scored.

Milford United Reserves 1

Cranford United Reserves 2

Milford had to travel for this home fixture to Cranford Park and came home empty handed.

Cranford opened the scoring after 10 minutes when Dale McFadden shot low to the corner from 10 yards after a poor clearance.

Milford applied the pressure for the rest of the half but weren’t able to turn possession into goals.

The equaliser came with 20 minutes remaining when Jason Mc Conigley tucked the ball away after another goal mouth scramble. With Milford pressing for the winner they were caught on the counterattack with a well taken goal from Johnny Wilhare who beat the keeper from 30 yards to seal the points for Cranford.

Downtown Cup Group C

Gweedore United Reserves 2 Downtown United 1

Gweedore United had Sean Paul McMahon and Stephen O’Donnell to thank for the goals in their win over Downtown United.

In the 20th minute the home side went in front when a long pass fell to McMahon who shot home to make it 1-0.

The visitors equalised in the 38th minute when a well delivered corner from Bonner was headed into the back of the net by Sean Sweeney.

Gweedore United got the winner in the 82nd minute when O’Donnell finished well from 20 yards following a good pass from his brother Aodh.

Donegal Youth League

Rosses Academy and Letterkenny Rovers will meet each other in the Donegal Youth League Northern Division Play off this Saturday afternoon in Fintown.

Both sides ended their campaigns level on points, with Erne Wanderers awaiting the winners in the Dick Duffy Memorial League Final.

Just one game was played at the weekend, Erne Wanderers winning by four goals to nil against Drumbar United in the Gorey Curran Cup.

Goal scorers for the Wanderers were Jamie Brennan(2), Philip Patton and James Morris.

On Wednesday night, Ballybofey United host Swilly Rovers in a John Gorey Curran Cup quarter-final tie and on Saturday afternoon Cappry Rovers host Erne Wanderers and Illistrin FC are away to Swilly Rovers in preliminary round games in the Colin Breslin Cup.


John ‘Gorey’ Curran Cup


Drumbar 0-4 Erne Wanderers

Donegal Youth League

Swilly Rovers P-P Rosses

Swilly Rovers failed to field resulting in a 4-0 score being awarded to Rosses Academy



John ‘Gorey’ Curran Cup


Ballybofey United v Swilly Rovers (K Logue) 7pm

Saturday, 2pm

Donegal Youth League Northern Division, League Play-off

Pairc Achla, Fintown, extra time and penalties if required

Letterkenny Rovers v Rosses Academy (S Toner)

Colin Breslin Cup

Preliminary Round

Cappry Rovers v Erne Wanderers (V McLoughlin)

Swilly Rovers v Illistrin FC

(M Lagan)