Glenea United win at Kilmacrennan Celtic

GLENEA UNITED took a huge step towards retaining the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division title with a 3-1 away win at Kilmacrennan Celtic.

GLENEA UNITED took a huge step towards retaining the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division title with a 3-1 away win at Kilmacrennan Celtic.

The win means the side managed by Tom Coll are four points clear now of second-placed Rathmullan Celtic, who hammered Lagan Harps by six goals to one.

Brian McCormick Premier Division

Kilmacrennan Celtic 1

Glenea United 3

Kilmacrennan’s title hopes are all but gone following a defeat to league leaders Glenea United.

The second half was a much livelier affair thanks to a goal within two minutes of the kick off.

A poor clearance from the Glenea keeper bounced through a host of players. The inrushing Ryan McFadden couldn’t believe his luck when he was one on one with Mark Gallagher and coolly scored the opening goal.

Kilmacrennan replied within 10 minutes and were awarded a penalty when Liam McBride was hauled down.

Michael McLaughlin converted and sent the keeper the wrong way. The game was in the balance for 20 minutes with the home side looking the most dangerous.

However Glenea punished the home side with a goal out of nothing. McFadden was the beneficiary at the back post following a Mick Mulhern cross. Mulhern wrapped up the three points on 90 minutes.

Milford United 1

Lifford Celtic 0

Milford gained a great three points at home to Lifford with a goal from the penalty spot well converted by Peter Doherty after Brendan Murray was taken down on the edge of the box.

Both teams failed to create many goal scoring chances in a high tempo hard fought match. Milford showed much more hunger and work rate compared to the match in the cup last week. Best for Lifford was Mark Neeson. Good all round team effort by Milford to lift them out of the bottom 3. Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle

Rathmullan Celtic 6

Lagan Harps 1

Mark Curran’s Rathmullan Celtic kept their bid for an historic treble right on track with an emphatic win over Lagan Harps at Flagpole.

The Hoops’ first strike of the afternoon saw Eamonn Sheridan open his account on 16 minutes with a fine finish. Curran’s charges doubled their advantage on 25 minutes when Oisin McMenamin unleashed an unstoppable 30 yard free kick into the top corner.

Just before the interval, Aaron Mc Clafferty crossed in for Dara Patton to head into the bottom corner to give secure commanding three-goal lead.
 In the second period the Hoops put the game beyond doubt when Patton got his second of the afternoon after tucking in from five yards following a goal mouth scramble.

Niall Doherty then beat three defenders before curling a 20 yard strike to the bottom corner.

The Hoops went six up after Eamonn Sheridan took advantage of a goal mouth scramble to score his second of the afternoon on 83 minutes. Kevin Kelly scored a 25-yard free kick as late consolation for the Orchard Park men.

Castlefin Celtic 1

Dunkineely Celtic 1

Castlefin earned their first home point of the season after a hard fought 1-1 draw against Dunkineely in Parkview on Sunday.

Castlefin started the second the brighter and took the lead in the 60th minute when a Simon Mc Glinchey pass played through to Barry Tourish who slotted home from 12 yards.

However, this resulted in the visitors upping their game and they equalised when Castlefin failed to clear a free kick and Shane Mc Quinney was on hand to poke home from six yards with 70 minutes played.

Gweedore Celtic 0

St. Catherines 1

St Catherine’s eased their relegation fears with a 1-0 away win against Gweedore Celtic.

The match was evenly balanced and the game looked to be heading for a stalemate when a foul was conceded in the penalty area. Jason Noctor made no mistake from the spot.

Gweedore did have a few chances in the last 10 minutes but they were unable to breach the St Catherine’s defence.

Watson Hire Division One

Donegal Town 4

Arranmore United 2

Donegal Town moved to top of the table after a 4-2 victory over Arranmore United.

Donegal opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Declan Brown headed home at the back post after Benny Byrne’s original shot was deflected. Shane Elliott equalised shortly after when he finished well from inside the area. Brown and Byrne linked up again to put Donegal back in front.

Brown’s shot from outside the area came back of the post for Byrne to hammer home and restore the lead. The visitors levelled things up once more when left back Declan Proctor followed in well after a poorly defended set piece to ensure the Islanders went in level at the break.

The second half was all Donegal. Stuart Johnston’s powerful strike from the edge of the area put the home side back in front on the hour mark after good work out wide from Conor Mc Monagle. Declan Brown crashed a header off the bar shortly after before Byrne wrapped up the scoring tapping home from Joe McIntyre’s excellent cross late on.

Eany Celtic 1

Keadue Rovers 2

A goal by Cori Gallagher and an own goal late in the second half gave Keadue all the points at Eany Celtic.

The home side started well and Barry Rose hit the post on 20 minutes. From the clearance Keadue broke and Cori deflected a shot into the net to give Keadue the lead.

Eany were back on level terms within minutes as a long clearance from the Keeper, Kelly, found Barry rose who found the net. The first half finished 1-1. Eany kept the pressure on and were unlucky not to extend their lead on the hour . The away side got the winner in the 83rd minute when a Keadue cross was deflected into the Eany net.

Cappry Rovers 1

Curragh Athletic 0

Cappry Rovers ended Curragh Athletic’s unbeaten record in an entertaining game in Cappry Park.

Aaron Kelly got the vital goal for Cappry deep in injury time following a free kick which the visitor’s keeper failed to hold, and Kelly was in to head the ball to the net from close range to give them three vital points.

CT Ball Division Two

Dunlewy Celtic 6

Drumbar United 0

Dumlewy had six reasons to cheer following their comprehensive win over Drumbar United yesterday.

Daniel Cannon when he latched on to a Daniel Coll pass to knock home. The second came soon after, Brendan cut inside two players to rifle home a powerful shot.

The third came from a Mark Roarty cross which found Brendan Mc Geady at the back post, he half volleyed it into the box were John Cannon was on hand to converted.

In the second half Daniel Cannon got his second when he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards out.

Kevin Doohan got the next when good work down the right found the incoming Doohan to knock home.

The sixth came from John Cannon when he won a loose in midfield and busted through the visitors defence to score.

Letterbarrow Celtic 2 Gweedore United 7

Gweedore United kept the pressure on Bonagee United at the top of the table with a big win at Letterbarrow Celtic.

The deadlock was broken when top goalscorer, Kieran McFadden, drilled the ball home after a fine turn inside the box.

On the stroke of half time a Letterbarrow free kick from just outside the Gweedore box was blocked and United broke down the field to snatch a second through McFadden.

Gweedore started the second half very strongly and Kevin Cassidy poked home from close range after a mix-up in the Letterbarrow penalty area on 50 minutes.

One minute later Gweedore had their forth when McFadden broke the offside trap. On 60 minutes Declan Gallagher pulled one back for the home side after good work from Paul Murrin.

That goal sparked a spirited effort by Letterbarrow but on 75 minutes, Kevin Cassidy scored a screamer from 30 yards. Another from Kieran McFadden on eighty minutes put the visitors six one ahead.

Declan Gallagher scored his second for the home side on 82 minutes with a good header after an Emmett O’Neill cross. In the dying seconds, Stephen Cassidy poked home the seventh for Gweedore.

Bonagee United 1

Convoy Arsenal 0

Bonagee United remain four points clear at the top of the CT Ball Division Two after their narrow win over Convoy Arsenal yesterday.

Bonagee took the lead on six minutes following a free kick from 30 yards by Kevin Doran. The Convoy keeper seemed to think the ball was going wide of the post but it ended up in the bottom corner of the net.

Convoy had chances through Darren Harley and Garry Bradley but Carr in the home goal was in fine form. Kevin Doran should have scored when he was put clear by Ross Hanlyn on 30 minutes from midfield only to see his effort just go over the bar from 20 yards.

Ramelton Mariners 6 Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2

Mariners came out on top of this local derby and maintained their push for runners up spot in the Old Orchard Inn Division One.

It was Kilmacrennan who took the lead when Adrian Doherty slotted home after 10 minutes after a mix up in the Mariners defence.

Mariners quickly equalised in the 20th minute when Barry Coyle scored an excellent free kick from 20 yards that left Damien Crossan in the Kilmacrennan goal no chance.

They took the lead 10 minutes later when Alan Blaney scored from close range. Mariners should have extended their lead just before half time but Barry Mooney’s poor spot kick was saved by Crossan.

Mariners started strong again in the second half with goals coming in the 50th minute by Alan Blaney, his second, Gavin Mackay with a header from a corner in the 66th minute, and Corey Mc Cahill getting in on the act on 75 minutes.

Paul Mc Eldowney did pull a goal back for Kilmac in the 85th minute but Mariners scored their sixth in the dying moments when Corey Mc Cahill scored his second after a poor back pass.

Fintown Harps AFC 2 Castlefin Celtic Reserves 3

Castlefin Celtic came out on top against Fintown Harps in a good game on Saturday.

In the last few minutes of the first half Castlefin smashed the ball to the back of the net to put the away side in front going in at half time.

The second half started with Harps on top. In the fifth minute John McFadden chipped a great ball to find Gary McHugh in the box and he headed it into the net.

The equaliser was short lived, Castlefin put themselves ahead by a goal from a cross in the 15th minute.

In the 75th minute of the second half, Fintown’s Shan Mc Millian made the game all square after great work from Raymond Mc Menamin. With five minutes left on the clock Castlefin’s Gary McNulty scored the winner.

Glencar Inn Division Two

Deele Harps 0 Cranford United Reserves 0

A minutes silence was observed before this game in memory of Sadie Gallagher, Liskey who passed away this week.

The game itself was bossed by the home side with Christopher Roulstone in the Deele goal a spectator for most of the game.

But Cranford defended well throughout and on the few occasions that Deele did breach their rearguard they found the Cranford keeper in good form. Aidy Gallagher had Deele’s best chance but the playing surface was difficult and the chance was gone.

Glenree United Reserves 1 Milford United Reserves 2

A freak goal gave Milford United a 2-1 win at Glenree.

On a fine day in Glenree Park it was the homeside that took the lead through a fine finish from Matthew Coyle on 15 minutes.

Both teams battled well throughout. Ciaran Blaney got the equaliser on the hour mark. TJ Everson got the winner in the 80th minute when his free kick was going straight into the keepers hands only to take the most wicked bounce and go in over the keepers head, which the away side could not believe their luck.

Downtown United 2 Donegal Town Reserves 1

Downtown United got the better of Donegal Town on Saturday.

Downtown took the lead on the 41st minute through Sean Sweeney with a great right footed volley at the back post.

Donegal Town equalized 10 minutes into the second half through Stevie Curneen, with a great strike from outside the box.

Both teams pushed for a winner and it was Downtown who made the breakthrough with Niall Bonner swinging in a delightful corner for Gio Peoples to tap in at the back post, to put Downtown 2-1 up with just 5 minutes left on the clock.

Tullyvinney Rovers 2 Gweedore United 7

Just like their Sunday team, Gweedore United’s Saturday side bagged seven goals at the weekend.

After the opening 10 minutes Tullyvinney found themselves in an uphill battle trailing 3-0 with goals from Patrick McFadden, Declan Friel and Aodh O’Donnell.

In fairness to Tullyvinney it didn’t get them down and they started playing some nice passing football, creating chances but failing to score.

Garvan Tinney’s corner kicks proved a potent force for Tullyvinney and the evergreen Michael Shiels twice hit the crossbar with two headers from consecutive corners.

Tullyvinney’s breakthrough in the 34th minute came when an inch perfect pass from Jonny Corcoran found Thomas McBride wide on the right wing and he rounded a defender and produced the perfect cross with Garvan Tinney, getting in at the end with a diving header.

In the forty third minute Gweedore scored on the counter attack when Patrick McFadden scored from a right wing cross and headed home from ten yards. The score at half time was 4-1.

Six minutes into the second half Gweedore attacked again and found Tullyvinney’s defence wanting and Joseph Coyle scored with a fierce shot from the edge of the box.

In the 70th minute Tullyvinney registered their second goal when Martin Alexander lobbed the advancing keeper from twelve yards out.

That was as good as it got for the home team with Denis McBride and Paul Mc Daid having good chances but failing to score.

In the 80th minute Daniel Diver scored the sixth goal and Patrick McFadden wrapped up the scoring for Gweedore when he converted a penalty.