Naomh Conaill through in U-21 but Eunan’s and Kilcar draw

Letterkenny Gaels will rue a number of missed chances when a 14-man Naomh Conaill were let off the hook in Convoy on Saturday evening.

Letterkenny Gaels will rue a number of missed chances when a 14-man Naomh Conaill were let off the hook in Convoy on Saturday evening.

Naomh Conaill 0-10

Letterkenny Gaels 2-3

Naomh Conaill men looked to be in control throughout the first half with points from Ciaran Thompson, and two apiece from Dermot ’Brick’ Molloy and John O’Malley.

Conor McBrearty pointed the only Gaels score of the half with a free he won himself in the 6th minute.

Naomh Conaill were looking comfortable at 0-5 to 0-1 at the break and a couple more scores from Thompson, both from play, it looked as if the Glenties side were cruising to an easy win.

Ciaran Lynch fired over a fine score from play for the Gaels on 36 minutes. Next they were handed a lifeline as Mikey Harte lay crumpled on the ground, referee Paddy Keever approached Naomh Conaill’s James Doherty and issued a straight red for striking Harte off the ball. Conor McBrearty pointed the free making it 0-7 to 0-3 and the fightback was on as they enjoyed much of the possession for the rest of the half.

Dermot Molloy pointed a free and scored another from play to keep them at bay until Harte combined with James McGlynn who set McBrearty up for a fine goal leaving it 0-9 to 1-3. On 53 minutes the sides were level as Ciaran Lynch smashed the net for Gaels’ second goal. Despite much possession they still hit a number of costly wides and were left deflated when Dermot Molloy hit a point from play from a quick free leaving it 0-10 to 2-3 in the 59th minute. Despite four minutes of injury time the only other real chance fell to Naomh Conaill John O’Malley who fired wide and Naomh Conaill held on for the win.

Naomh Conaill: Ronan O’Donnell, Seamus Campbell, Jason Campbell, Hugh Gallagher, Eoin McGlynn, Seamus Ellis, Mark Molloy, Cathal Ellis, Ciaran Thompson (0-3), Eunan Doherty, Dermott Molloy (0-5, 3f), James Doherty, Jamie McHugh, John O’Malley (0-2, 1f), Christopher Molloy

Letterkenny Gaels: John Doran, Eoin Kelly, Luke Kinister, Cillian Kinister, Ciaran Cannon, Darren Hunter, Gerard Gibson, Mikey Harte, Caolan Breslin, Ciaran Lynch (1-1), James McGlynn, Lee Dorrian, Peter Doherty, Conor McBrearty (1-2, 1f).

Kilcar and Eunan’s must meet again

St Eunan’s 0-9

Kilcar 0-9

Kilcar and St. Eunan’s must meet again to decide who will go through to the semi-final of the U-21 championship after the sides ended deadlocked in O’Donnell Park on Saturday.

In a game that could have been won by either side, the draw was probably a fair result in the end. The second half, in particular, was a topsy turvy affair with Kilcar turning a half-time two point deficit into a two point lead thanks to Matthew McClean and three points from Patrick McBrearty, but then St. Eunan’s hit back with three points of their own to go back in front, 0-8 to 0-7.

Kilcar did have a great goal chance when they were 0-7 to 0-6 ahead with Patrick McBrearty and the McHughs combining to put Darragh O’Donnell through but he failed to convert, his effort hitting the side netting.

Patrick McBrearty levelled matters at 0-8 each before Oisin Carr seemed to have won it for St. Eunan’s when he put his side ahead late in the game but Patrick McBrearty punished a high tackle on Darragh O’Donnell in added time to take the game to a replay.

The first half had been very even until the final minutes of the half. The sides were level at 0-3 each after 18 minutes with Patrick McBrearty (2) and Aidan McGinley for Kilcar and Darragh Mulgrew, Conor Park and Kealan Ward pointing for the home side.

In the final minutes of the half St. Eunan’s edged two clear with poins from Mulgrew and a Conor Gibbons free.

There was some controversy late in the first half when an effort from Patrick McBrearty was deemed not to have crossed the line with the umpires, one from Kilcar and one from St. Eunan’s, disagreeing on the decision.

In what is a quote that could make the quote of the month, the Kilcar umpire was asked at half-time was it a goal. Ross Brady replied: “It was over the line but it wasn’t a goal!”

Kilcar: Kevin Boyle; Ciaran O’Donnell, Pauric Carr, Christopher Cunningham; Eoghan McHugh, Ryan McHugh, Thomas Burke; Conal Gilmore, Patrick McBrearty (0-7,3f); Liam Doherty, Darragh O’Donnell, Matthew McClean (0-1); Aidan McGinley (0-1), Dermot McGinley, David Gillespie.

St. Eunan’s: Jordan McBride; Colm Flood, Conor O’Donnell (0-1), Mark Forde; Ciaran Greaney, Peter Devine, Oisin Carr (0-1); Conal McGinley, Kealan Ward (0-1); Darragh Mulgrew (0-2), Conor Parke (0-1), Lee McMonagle (0-1); Conor Harley, Michael Coleman, Conor Gibbons (0-1,1f).

Referee: S McGonagle (Aodh Ruadh)