Killybegs remain top of Division Two after win in Fanad

Thanks to a good away win in Fanad on Sunday, Killybegs remain on course for a return to the top flight. But it looks as if it will be a three-way fight for promotion with Malin and Glenfin having games in hand which could be important.

Thanks to a good away win in Fanad on Sunday, Killybegs remain on course for a return to the top flight. But it looks as if it will be a three-way fight for promotion with Malin and Glenfin having games in hand which could be important.

McGlynn’s Restaurant Castlefin Division 2

P W L D Pts

Na Cealla Beaga 12 8 2 1 17

Glenfin 10 7 3 0 14

Malin 9 6 2 1 13

Bundoran 10 5 4 1 11

MacCumhaill’s 13 5 6 0 10

Cloch Cheann Fhaola 11 3 5 2 8

Naomh Brid 9 3 6 0 6

Fanad Gaels 12 3 7 0 6

Naomh Mhuire 10 2 7 1 5

Sean MacCumhaill’s 2-8

Malin 1-15

Sean MacCumhaill’s up and down form continued on Sunday as they dropped two more points against Malin in MacCumhaill Park.

After a good opening half after which they lead 2-5 to 1-6 with Steven O’Reilly and his brother Marty O’Reilly scoring the goals, they collapsed in the second half after Marty O’Reilly went off injured and they had no answer to the Matthew Byrne and Anthony Kelly inspired Malin who kicked nine points to MacCumhaill’s three in the second period.

Stephen McLaughlin scored the Malin goal in the opening minutes after the Inishowen men got off to a flying start before Steven O’Reilly settled the locals with a goal at the end of the first quarter and with Marty O’Reilly driving forward from centre-back the locals were looking good for a second win in-a-row to smash the ball to the net on the stroke of half-time.

Unfortunately for Pat McNabb and his men O’Reilly picked up an injury and did not resume in the second half and already short a number of regulars and also having lost keeper Chris Patton to injury earlier, they were a pale shadow of themselves in the second period and paid the price against an inform Malin.

Sean MacCumhaill’s: C Patton; E Wright, J Dunnion, A McCloskey (0-1), G Grindle, M O’Reilly (1-1,1f), G Gallagher; P McNulty, D McGowan; B McLaughlin (0-1,1f), D White (0-2), S O’Reilly (1-0); G Dunnion, D O’Leary (0-2), B Lafferty (0-1). Subs: R Patton for C Patton (inj); S Mulligan for M O’Reilly.

Malin: D Mullarkey; C Byrne, D Harkin, C Farren; J G McLaughlin (0-1), G Farren; P Kelly, A Kelly (0-8,7f);P McLaughlin (0-1), M Byrne (0-2), P McColgan; S McLaughlin (1-0), T Doherty, D Walsh. Sub. B McLaughlin (0-1).

Fanad Gaels 1-10

Killybegs 1-12

Killybegs came from behind to win by two points in their senior championship dress rehearsal win over Fanad Gaels in Portsalon on Sunday afternoon.

Killybegs led by four points 1-6 to 0-5 at half-time and had maintained that advantage for most of the second period before they were rocked back on their heels in the closing minutes when Seamie ‘Coshia’ Friel broke through to score a Fanad goal.

All of a sudden the locals had their noses in front by a point. But Joe McBrearty’s men refused to buckle and they bounced back with the game’s three closing points to win by two and maintain their position at the top of the Division Two League table.

Fanad Gaels: S McAteer; P Herrity, F Friel, T McBride; F Sweeney, P Shiels, C Martin (0-1); M McSweeney, B Callaghan; M Friel, C McElwaine, A McAteer (0-3); D Walsh, S ‘Coshia’Friel (1-6), Joe Blaney.

Killybegs: M Mullen; C Conaghan, S Boyle, David Conwell (0-1); R Boyle, S Molloy, C Murrin; M Smyth, Hugh McFadden; B Boyle (0-2), P McGinley (0-2), P Gallagher; C Tully (0-1,1f), C Molloy (1-1), B Maguire (0-1). Subs: D Breslin (0-1) for P Gallagher; M Boyle for C Tully; E Murphy for B Boyle.

Cloughaneely 1-10

Glenfin 0-12

Cloughaneely recorded a very vital win on Sunday when they had a point to spare over Glenfin in Falcarragh.

There was a dramatic finish to the game with Brian Cuffe had Cloughaneely’s first goal with three minutes left on the clock and Sean Maguire got the winning point in the last minute.

Glenfin led by 0-7 to 0-5 at the interval with Kevin McGlynn, Stephen McDermott, Gerard Ward and Ciaran Moy on the scoresheet.

Denis Boyle was the chief contributor to the Cloughaneely scoring.

Glenfin moved clear in the second half thanks to Mark McGinty snr with Ward also Ciaran Moy also hitting the target.

Then came the late, late Cloughaneely show which gave them two very vital league points and moves them out of the relegation area.

Cloughaneely: L McFadden; Kevin Doohan, Michael Lynch, Ciaran McFadden; Joe Gallagher, Kevin McFadden, Eugene Maguire; Paddy McClafferty, Brian Cuffe (1-0), Conor McHugh, Joe Boyce; Darren Ferry (0-1), Denis Boyle (0-6) Sean Maguire (0-2), John McGarvey (0-1). Subs., Liam Coyle for D Ferry.

Glenfin: Benji O’Meara; Gary Herron, Gavin McDermott, John Harkin; Stephen McGlynn, Gareth Martin, Frank McGlynn; Michael McGlynn, Stephen McDermott (0-1); Gerard Ward (0-3), Leigh Herron, Ciaran Moy (0-4,4f); Ciaran Foy, Mark McGinty snr. (0-2), Kevin McGlynn (0-1).

Referee: Mickey Mulhern (St. Eunan’s).