Dungloe sneak over the line against Cloughaneely

Tom Comack at Rosses


Tom Comack at Rosses

Dungloe got their championship campaign off to a winning start but not before they were given the fright of their lives by Cloughaneely in Rosses Park on Saturday evening.

Dungloe got their championship campaign off to a winning start but not before they were given the fright of their lives by Cloughaneely in Rosses Park on Saturday evening.



In what was strange game, Dungloe dominated for well over three-quarters of the way. And they led by seven points at one stage towards the end of the third quarter but were put to the pin of their collar in the closing 15 minutes by a Cloughaneely outfit who failed to score in the firs half.

And it was the home followers that were frantically baying for Mickey Mulhern’s final whistle as Cloughaneely came from seven points down with just over a quarter of an hour remaining, to reduce the margin to one.

In the closing minutes too, the Dungloe goals led a charmed existence as Brian Cuffe was denied by the base of Ciaran Sharkey’s right hand post. And Denis Boyle, who scored four of Cloughaneely’s total, uncharacteristically drove a 13-metre free wide from just to the right of the posts with his side just two behind 0-9 to 0-7 and five minutes still on the clock.

Adrian Sweeney, who was sharp throughout and second half, and substitute Jack Scally, posted late points as Dungloe pulled away again.

Dungloe led 0-5 to 0-0 at half-time, with their tally a poor return for their domination, albeit they had the advantage of a stiff diagonal wind that most definitely favoured the home-team.

Adrian Sweeney kicked two points and Mark Clerkin one, in the opening 12 minutes for the locals, who did not score again until Mark Sweeney combined with Shaun Sharkey to split Lee McFadden’s posts four minutes from the break.

Corey Gallagher, who drove forward all evening with great purpose, kicked the fifth point on the stroke of half-time.

Despite facing into the wind, Sharkey extended the Dungloe advantage out to six within 20 seconds of the restart. And while Boyle opened the Cloughaneely account shortly afterwards Dungloe were looking good when Sharkey and Gavin Ward both raised flags to stretch the Dungloe advantage out to 0-8 to 0-1.

With Adrian Hanlon, who did not start, replacing Gerard Walsh and Conor Greene taking the place of Clerkin, Dungloe seemed to lose their shape and all of sudden Cloughaneely were transformed.

Boyle converted the first of five unanswered points from Cloughaneely, as Conor McGee, Eugene Maguire, Kevin McFadden all nailed points before Boyle knocked over two more frees to reduce the margin to one with six minutes of normal time remaining.

Shortly afterwards, Cuffe drove off the Dungloe post with the goal gaping before Adrian Sweeney burst through to ease jangling Dungloe nerves and establish a two-point margin once again. Scally fisted over the insurance point deep in injury time.

Dungloe: Ciaran Sharkey; Doalty Boyle, Jamie Sweeney, Martin Redmond; Gavin Ward (0-1), Corey Gallagher (0-1), Mark Sweeney (0-1); Noel McBride, Raymond Sweeney; Mark Clerkin (0-1), Adrian Sweeney (0-3), Gerard Walsh; Mark Forker, Shaun Sharkey (0-2,1f), Paul McGarvey. Subs: Adrian Hanlon for Walsh (41); Conor Greene for Clerkin (44); Jack Scally (0-1) for Forker (50); Eoghan Scally for M Sweeney (55).

Cloughaneely: Lee McFadden; Michael Lynch, Kevin McFadden (0-1), Paddy Joe Doohan; Joe Gallagher, Kevin Mulhern, Conor McGee (0-1); Ciaran McFadden, Joe Boyce; Eugene Maguire (0-1), Liam Coyle, Shaun McGarvey; Denis Boyle (0-4, 4f), Sean Maguire, Declan McGarvey. Subs: John McGarvey for J. Boyce ; Brian Cuffe for McGarvey (both 39); Ciaran McFadden for Coyle (50).

Referee: Mickey Mulhern (St.Eunan’s)

Man of the match

Corey Gallagher did his duties well in defence and he also managed to drive forward with great purpose. He played a huge part in Dungloe’s victory, especially in the first half and again in the third quarter. He capped a good performance with a delightful point.

Turning Point

The game very much went Dungloe’s way for the best part of three quarters, before it swung Cloughaneely’s in the fourth quarter. With the margin back to a point at 0-8 to 0-7, Brian Cuffe cracked a shot of the bottom the Dungloe post and the ball was scrambled clear.

Ref Watch

Mickey Mulhern flashed five yellow cards, four to Dungloe and one to Cloughaneely, in what was not an overly physical game. He kept a firm grip all through and had a reasonably good outing.

Dungloe win in Senior Reserve Championship

Dungloe 2-10

Cloughaneely 0-10

David McCarron and Thomas Brennan scored the goals as Dungloe overcame Cloughanneely on Saturday evening.

Between them the McCarron, Brennan combination accounted for 2-4 of the Dungloe total with man of the match McCarron posting a goal and three points.

Paddy Cannon, John Fitzgerald and Sean McBride carried the main scoring threat for Cloughaneely who were chasing the game from the moment that McCarron netted in the opening minutes.

Dungloe: C McGlynn (0-2,2f); E Scally, D O’Donnell, C Carr; D Curran, A Rogers, J Ward (Diamond); D Rogers, M Boyle (0-1); D McCarron (1-3), R Wehrly (0-1,1f), P Ferry (0-2,2f); J Sweeney, T Brennan (1-1), D Hanlon. Subs: D Ward for Sweeney; Daniel Bonner for Ward.

Cloughaneely: M McGinley; S Gallagher, E Curran, S Sweeney; K Scanlon, B McElroy, A Brady; S McBride (0-2), M McCausland; D Ferry (0-2), P Cannon (0-2, 2f), M Ferry (0-1); J Stewart, J Fitzgerald (0-2), J Harley (0-1). Sub: Ciaran Boyce for. Ferry.

Referee: Mark McGlinchey (Sean MacCumhaills).