Useful away win for Fanad

The peculiar nature of the Ulster Senior League continued over the weekend and Kildrum Tigers are now the only unbeaten side in the division.

The peculiar nature of the Ulster Senior League continued over the weekend and Kildrum Tigers are now the only unbeaten side in the division.

Cockhill Celtic 0

Fanad United 2

Fanad claimed another victory over Cockhill on Sunday last with an impressive 2-0 league win at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds.

The visitors with a strong breeze in the favour started the game strongly and only for a last ditch tackle by Cockhill’s Jonny Havlin to deny Eunan Kelly after he got on the end off a Christy Connaghan knockdown.

Fanad started with a 4-3-3 formation with Connaghan and Alan Gethins providing support for the target man Kelly. Fanad went in front on 10 minutes when a ball from defence found Gethins on the right and as he played it back across goal Kelly was on hand to head past John Roulston for 1-0. T

hey almost double their lead on 18 minutes when Trevor Gethins found space 30 yards from goal only to see his thunderous drive crash off the angle of bar and post and out into the hands of the greatful Roulstone, with all Fanad followers crying out for a goal but the linesman waved play-on.

Fanad had all the play in the opening period they never allowed the home side settle on the ball, Eunan Kelly almost made it 2-0 on 29 minutes when he headed wide from close range. Jonathan Bonner had an effort for the home side on 31 minutes but was easy for Lee McFadden in the Fanad goals.

The home side started the second period with much more control in their play and a greater urgency. William McLaughlin, an early substitute for Cockhill in the first half, played Jonathon Bonner in on the left but his cracking left foot drive was tipped over under the bar by McFadden; from the resulting corner Bonner found Jimmy Bradley outside the box but his drive went narrowly wide of the right hand post. Fanad scored the second goal against the run off play but a good goal none the less; McGowan at right back thumped the ball forward to Gethins wide on the on left and he picked out the Friel who volley it to the top left hand corner giving Roulstone no chance. Bonner then crashed a free to the top of the bar on 54 minutes but this was as close as the home side came throughout the 90-odd minutes as Fanad kept their shape on organisation never giving the home side a second on the ball.

The home side came close again on 70 minutes but Gerry Gills effort was over the bar from 25 yards and off little trouble to McFadden. Fanad had a late chance to make it 3-0 but Gethins hesitated when through on goal after beating the keeper allowing the greatful Roulstone to get back and clear. Cockhill will need to re-group while Fanad will grow from this very good team performance

Cockhill Celtic FC: John Roulstone; Kieran McLaughlin, Oisin McColgan, Johnny Havlin, William O’Connor, Malachy McDermott, Conor Keddy, James Bradley, Paul McKinney, Gerry Gill and Jonathan Bonner, Subs: Aiden O’Donnell, Mark Moran, William McLaughlin.

Fanad United: Lee McFadden; Darren McGowan, Declan O’Donnell, Kieran Gorman, Seamus Friel, Christy Conaghan, Alan Gethins, Trevor Gethins, Eunan Kelly, Paul Friel and Seamus Friel Subs: Darragh Patton, Arthur Lynch, Mark Friel.

Referee: Donal McCafferty

Swilly Rovers 1

Letterkenny Rovers 1

A share of the spoils was the outcome of the battle of the Rovers at a sun drenched Swilly Park on Saturday evening.

Letterkenny went ahead in the first minute when Glenn Hamilton headed home a Dan O’Donnell corner from six yards. On the seventh minute Swilly went level when Ruairi Kelly knocked the ball home through a packed defence.

Chances were few, but some good football was played throughout the game, with Michael Doherty of Swilly denied twice by  former Finn Harps goalkeeper James Gallagher. The second effort near the end of the Match was indeed a great chance as Leonard Boyce provided Doherty with a superb cross but Gallagher came to the rescue.

Letterkenny Darren McElwine sustained a bad knee injury when falling awkwardly in the second half. Reports on Sunday confirmed that he strained ligaments and will be out of action for a number of weeks. Match referee was Terence Moyne and the draw was a fair result.

Swilly Rovers: Ciaran Molloy, Ronan Gibson, Terence Shiels, Dylan Hegarty, Rory Kelly, Ryan Toland, Kyle Black, Keith Hegarty, Michael Doherty, Martin McDaid. Subs: Brain Coll, Darren Dunworth, Shane Browne, Dylan Quinn, Leonard Boyce, Caolon Bolton. Letterkenny Rovers: James Gallagher, Gareth Boyle, Dan O’ Donnell, Conal McConagle, Glen Hamilton, Odhran McMacken, Jamie Doherty, Graham Cullen, Darren McElwaine, Mark Harkin and Mark Forker. Subs: Ryan Carlin, Kieran Doherty, Kieran McPherson, Michael Miller, Anthony Gorman, Jordan McBride.

Referee: Terence Moyne.

Drumkeen United 3

Bonagee United 0

Drumkeen got their first league win of the campaign when they defeated local rivals Bonagee United.

Drumkeen went into the lead after six minutes when Richard Moore found Peter McNamee on the edge of the box and he hit a left footed shot into bottom corner. Sean Ferry was unlucky not to add to the home sides advantage when his turn and shot hit the crossbar after 30 minutes.

On 35 minutes a pass from Raymond Sweeney found Conor Carlin and he shot from 20 yards into the top corner for a stunning goal. Drumkeen continued to create chances and went in three up at half time when a through ball from Philip Whyte found Carlin in the penalty area and he scored his second of the game, finding the top corner once again from 12 yards out giving Bonagee keeper David Tyrell no chance.

Drumkeen had most of the play in the second half, when Bonagee were reduced to 10 men when Ciaran McCarron was dismissed. Ferry hit the post after 55 minutes as Drumkeen continued to press. Bonagee made little impact on the home goal though Paul McAuley made a great save from Damien McGee, pushing the ball away to preserve the clean sheet. With the game fizzling out, Drumkeen had most of the play up untill the end but could not further breach the Bonagee defence. Best for Drumkeen were Chris Kyle, Shaun Gallagher and Ryan Gildea while Ryan Rainey impressed for the visitors.

Drumkeen United: Paul McCauley, Gary Patton, Ryan Gildea, Shaun Gallagher, Chris Kyle, Richard Moore, Philip Whyte, Raymond Sweeney, Conor Carlin, Sean Ferry, Peter McNamee. Subs: Lee Guthrie, Lee McMonagle, Marc Conway, Paddy McLaughlin.

Bonagee United: David Tyrell, JP Doran, Ciaran McCarron, Damien McGee, Derek Kerowack, Glen Rainey, David Lynagh,Dean Larkin, Seamus Cusack, Mark McLaughlin, Ryan Rainey. Subs: Jordy Toye, rory Gallagher, Mark Graham, Frankie McGinley.

First Division League Cup

Drumkeen United 5

Bonagee United 4

Drumkeen United and Bonagee United shared a nine-goal encounter with the hosts coming out on top.

Bonagee started off at a very brightly and stretched the home team to the limit. Their quick passing around the pitch gave Drumkeen a lot of problems. After 15 minutes, a three-man move by Ryan Magee, Stephen Keys and Jason Ashmore set up Ryan Rainey to score Bonagee’s first goal.

Lee Mc Monagle had a good run and beat a few defenders and shot home for Drumkeen’sfirst goal on 22 minutes. The visitors lead was restored on 35 minutes when Ryan Rainey scored to leave Bonagee 2-1 up at half time .

Drumkeen came out in the second with all guns blazing and after 48 minutes Paddy McLaughlin scored to draw the home team level. Rory Gildea put Drumkeen in front when he converted a penalty when Doherty was fouled. Ryan Rainey drew Bonagee level once again when he scored his second goal. This was now end to end play with both teams trying to out score the other. Goals by Lee McMonagle and Aaron Doherty made it five for Drumkeen and Duncan McIntyre making it four for Bonagee. A very exciting game between two young teams.

Swilly Rovers 2

Letterkenny Rovers 0

Swilly Rovers claimed all three points in their home fixture against Letterkenny Rovers.

A Ronan Curtis six-yard finish from an Anthony Fisher cross and a delightful curled effort from Oisin Duffy sealed the points for the Ramelton men in a hard fought local derby.

Daniel McAuley of Letterkenny saw his headed effort crash off the crossbar after a superb Aaron Scanlon cross from the left. Cathal Diver went close twice for Swilly. Midway through the first half Ryan McDaid and Brandon Toye both had fine efforts well saved by Jordan McBride in the Letterkenny goal.

The game was well marshalled by match referee Paul Duddy. The game was played in a good sporting manner. This result leaves Swilly in second place in the League Cup table and in pole position to meet Kildrum in this years decider.

Swilly Rovers: Caolon Bolton, Anthony Fisher, Brain Coll, Johnny Boyle, Dylan Quinn, James McCahill, Paul Fisher, Barry Mooney, Ronan Curtis, Cathal Diver and Darren Dunworth. Subs - Oisin Duffy, Shay Durning, Ryan McDaid, Brandon Toye and James Doyle

Letterkenny Rovers: Jordan McBride, John Blaney, Aaron Scanlon, John Keeney, Michael Herritty, Kevin McGrath, Peter McGlynn, Ciaran Mooney, Ciaran McPherson, Michael Miller and David McCauley. Subs: Luke Friel, Oisin Mulligan and Welton Maia.


4 Lanterns USL

Swilly Rovers 1-1 Letterkenny Rovers

Cockhill Celtic 0-2 Fanad United

Drumkeen United 3-0 Bonagee United

Kildrum Tigers 3-3 Derry City Reserves

First Division League Cup

Swilly Rovers R 2-0 Letterkenny Rovers

Drumkeen United 5-4 Bonagee United


Wednesday, 7.30pm

Donegal News League Cup

Group A

Bonagee Utd. v Cockhill Celtic

Derry City Res. v Drumkeen United

4 Lanterns USL

Fanad United v Swilly Rovers - T McAree

Buncrana Hearts v Kildrum Tigers - D McCafferty

DPD Couriers USL First Division

Saturday, 2pm

Kildrum Tigers v Bonagee - T Moyne

Letterkenny Rovers v Drumkeen United - P Duddy

Due to Ireland’s involvement in the Euro 2012, there are no fixtures this Sunday.