Cloughaneely, Bundoran and Four Masters advance in Reserve Championship

Cloughaneely, Bundoran and Four Masters won their play-offs in the Donegal Senior Reserve Championships with wins over Dungloe, Glenfin and Four Masters respectively.

Cloughaneely, Bundoran and Four Masters won their play-offs in the Donegal Senior Reserve Championships with wins over Dungloe, Glenfin and Four Masters respectively.

Cloughaneely 2-10

Dungloe 0-9

Clouganeely turned in a storming closing ten minutes as they came from behind to see off Dungloe, in this Senior Reserve Championship play-off in Maghergallon on Friday evening.

Trailing by three points, 1-1 to 0-7, the winners bounced back to draw level by the three quarter mark with points from Paul Sweeney, John Harley, John Fitzgerald and Sean McBride.

Dungloe lost Darren Curran and John Ward to injury before the winners took complete control in the final quarter and they had their place in the last eight booked long before John Harley struck for their second goal deep in injury time.

Cloughaneely: S McClafferty; S Gallagher, E Curran, D Curran; S Sweeney, K Doohan, K Scanlon; M McCausland, K Scanlon; D Ferry; Fitzgerald (0-5), S McBride (0-2); J Harley (1-1), P Sweeney (1-1), P Cannon (0-1).

Dungloe: B Boyle: B Brennan, D O’Donnell, C Carr; E Bonner, A Rodgers, J Ward; M Boyle, D Rodgers (0-1); D Hanlon, R Weherly, Paul Ferry (0-3); J Boyle (0-3), T Brennan (0-1), D Curran (0-1). Subs J Sweeney for D Curran (inj), C McGlynn for J Ward (inj).

Referee: Liam McConigley (Downings)

Bundoran 2-15

Glenfin 2-12

(after extra-time)

It took extra-time to separate Bundoran and Glenfin in Mountcharles on Saturday evening after the sides finished 1-11 each. They were also level 1-5 each at half-time.

A goal from Diarmuid Spratt in the first period of extra-time put Bundoran on their way, despite a penalty goal from veteran Frank Ward in the second period.

Bundoran: M Page; R Walsh, A Mullarkey, L Travers; P Rooney, S O’Donnell, M McCabe; J Boyle (1-2), N Murphy; A Coyne (0-7), A Dunmore (0-1), G Croghan; R Morris, D Spratt (1-1), R Gillespie (0-1). Subs., D O’Keeffe (0-1) for Walsh inj; S Rafferty (0-1) for Gillespie; S Curneen (0-1) for Morris.

Glenfin: M Campbell; S Foy, M McGlynn, F McGlinchey; M Temple (0-1), R Gallagher, G Dorrian; S Ward, P Costello; J Marley (0-1), P Moy (0-3,2f), P McGlynn (0-1); P J Scanlon (0-1), F Ward (2-5,pen,2f), B McDermott. Subs., L Breen for B McDermott; R McDermott for P McGlynn; M Gallagher for S Ward; D Dorrian for Breen.

Referee: J McGlanaghy (Four Masters)

Four Masters 2-9

Ardara 2-8

By Kieran Espey

Damien Dunnion’s young guns fired Four Masters into a quarter final encounter with St. Michaels in a cracking game in Killybegs on Saturday evening.

John Boyle, Dylan Ward, Kevin McBrearty, Dylan Muldoon and Kevin Breslin of the U-21 brigade combined with their more experienced colleagues to produce some excellent football on the night. Ardara must be congratulated for their part in this entertaining game but just came up short after an injury time penalty from Stephen Gildea reduced the margin to one

Playing against the breeze, Ardara opened the brighter with a Nicolas Maguire goal after a swift move downfield. Conor McDaid then responded with 2 frees before Gareth Britton and McDaid combined to release Dylan Muldoon on the run to fire low past Kieran Gildea to the net. Aidan Shovlin added a point for Ardara from play reducing the margin to 1 but Four Masters, with Kevin McBrearty coming into the game around the middle added a Dylan Muldoon point before Dylan Ward scored from both play and an excellent free from the ground near the end line.

Ardara dug deep but struggled somewhat against the breeze and another Four Masters attack resulted in Conor McDaid rifling the ball to the roof of the net to make it 2-05 to 1-02, but what looked like a good half-time lead was soon reduced by Stephen Gildea and Stephen McCahill to reduce the margin to 4 at half-time 2-05 to 1-04.

Conor McDaid opened the second half scoring with a fine effort from play but Stephen Gildea and Aidan Shovlin responded.

With 10 to go, Damien Diver got behind the Four Masters defence but Sean Martin was quick off his line to narrow the angle and the shot went narrowly wide. Declan McMonagle extended the lead to 4 before a high injury time ball into the Four Masters square resulted in a penalty which Stephen Gildea expertly converted. Four Masters won the resulting kick out and closed the game out by the narrowest of margins.

Four Masters: S Martin, R O’Donnell, B Farragher, P McIntyre, P Harvey, S Gillespie, J Boyle, C Gallagher (0-1), K McBrearty (0-1), D Ward (0-2), G Britton, D Muldoon (1-1), C McDaid (1-3), R Earley, B Cassidy. Subs: D McMonagle (0-1), K Breslin, B O’Donnell.

Ardara: K Gildea, N Campbell, N McCabe, P White, M Maloney, F Boyle, C Slowey, S McCahill (0-1), F Diver, A Shovlin (0-2), K Herron (0-1), N Maguire (1-0), D Earley, D Diver, S Gildea (1-4). Subs: J McLaughlin, J O’Connell.