Derry stretch lead at top of Ulster Senior League

Derry stretched their lead at the top of the table after claiming victory in the battle of the top two; the candystripes coming back from a goal down to win 2-1.

Derry stretched their lead at the top of the table after claiming victory in the battle of the top two; the candystripes coming back from a goal down to win 2-1.

Cockhill Celtic 1

Derry City Res. 2

The second half was only five minutes old when a Cockhill goal, from Aiden O’Donnell, was disallowed with a very late flag for a dead ball much to the discontent of the home supporters in that area of the park.

The opening goal arrived on 68 minutes when Aiden O’Donnell pounced on a loose back pass to round Houten and roll the ball into the net from 12 yards.

The home side only had the lead for five minutes when a mix-up in their defence allowed Duffy to nip in and roll the ball into the net from 16yards. Derry went in frot on 75 minutes when a ball into the box by Tony McNamee eluded the outstretched arm of keeper Roulstone and fell to the greatful substitute Matthew Henry who had the easy task of heading it over the keeper back into the net. Derry sat back in the closing 15 minutes and can be grateful for Houten for making three great saves, on 78 minutes he tipped a Liam O’Donnell header over the bar from 6 yards, then on 82 minutes he tipped a Paul McKinney effort over. The final moment arrived on the stroke of full time when Cockhill left back William McLaughlin advanced into the area only for his goalbound effort to be finger tipped round the left hand post by Houten. This win confirms Derry’s status as serious title contenders for 2012.

Cockhill Celtic FC: John Roulstone; Kieran McLaughlin, William McLaughlin, Johnny Havlin, Malachy McDermott, Conor Keddy, Liam O’Donnell, Greg Bradley, Gerry Gill, Paul McKinney & Aiden O’Donnell Subs: Aiden Porter, Harry Doherty & Peter Doherty.

Referee: Packie Coll

Drumkeen Utd. 1

Letterkenny Rovers 0

Player manager Benny Bonner had a few problems before the kick of this game, having to play himself, despite carrying a injury. Out were Conor Mc Nulty and Mark Marley due to suspension, also out were  Justin  Deasley, Philip Whyte and Gavin Reilly injured. Also carrying injurys were Chris Kyle and Peter Mc Namee. Even Rita was missing due to the Rally!  Seanie Gallagher was back from Poznan - he did not  get selected for Ireland! Letterkenny also had a few injury’s with top scorer Darren McElwaine laid up with ligament damage.  

Both teams tried hard in the first half moving the ball around the field and chances were few and far between both defences cancelling out the forwards. A Richie Moore shot from 20 yds  after 30 minutes flew over the bar. Letterkenny also had a few chances but failed to score leaving it all square at the break.

In the second half Letterkenny piled on the pressure but could not score. Ryan Gildea, Paul McCauley, Gary Patton and Benny Bonner impressing in defence for Drumkeen.

Raymond  Sweeney  came on for the home team and added a bit of pace to the Drumkeen attack. On 75 minutes Richie Moore made a strong run down the left fired in the ball with  James Gallagher in the Letterkenny goals knocking the ball out to the inrushing Sean Ferry who side footed the ball to the back of the net to give a Drumkeen  a goal lead for the last 10 minutes Letterkenny fired high balls into  the home goals but found Mc Cauley in  top form. A  hard fought victory for drumkeen who claim their second win of the season to move up the table.

Referee: Con Mc Laughlin had a good game.

Bonagee Utd. 2

Buncrana Hearts 3

This bottom of the table clash ended with the visitors deservedly claiming all three points, and continued Bonagee’s dreadful start to the league campaign.

Chances were very limited in the first half, but it was Buncrana who took the lead in the 43rd minute. Paddy McDermott found himself in space on the edge of the box and his cross was met by Darren Coyle who scored from 6 yards. They doubled their advantage in the 55th minute, when Mickey Furey broke the offside trap and squared the ball to Jason Devlin who tapped it home at the back post.

Bonagee reduced the deficit in the 67th minute, this time Seamus Cusack’s drilled cross from wide right was sidefooted home by Aidan McLaughlin. Buncrana regained their two goal advantage five minutes later, when Darren Smyth parried a Gary Duffy free kick, but only as far as Coyle, who had the easiest task of the day to make it three one. Bonagee made it three two in the 91st minute when Jamie Lynagh scooped the ball over the visiting keeper into the net via Aidan McLaughlins hip. Team performances by both teams.

Referee: Terence Moyne. 

Swilly Rovers 2

Kildrum Tigers 2

An excellent advertisement for Ulster Senior League football, between two teams who played very open attractive football.

Swilly went ahead on 31 mins when Darren Dunworth lobbed home a delightful effort from 16 yards. It was 2 nil on 61 mins, when Kyle Black, back with his home town club, fired home from 10 yards.

Kildrum appealed that the ball had crossed the by-line just before this, but the whole of the ball had not crossed the line. On 77 mins, Kildrum’s Ryan Mc Garvey crossed from the right, and Cormac Carlin powered home a supberb header from 8 yards.

On 88 mins, Kildrum were level, when Ronan Coyle smashed home a supberb effort from 6 yards. Carlin just missed with a header, moments later, in injury time. On the stroke of full time, Ryan Toland was denied from 3 yards after a point blank save from Kildrum keeper Martin McGinty. Swilly keeper, Gareth Wade, deputising from Ciaran Molloy, had earlier saved an Oisin Mc Menamin penalty. A share of the spoils was a fair result in the end. Referee: Stephen Toner had an excellent game.

Swilly Rovers: Gareth Wade, Ronan Gibson, Brian Coll, Columba O’Donnell, Ruari Kelly, Ryan Toland, Darren Dunworth, Keith Hegarty, Micheal Doherty, Laurence Toland, Kyle Black. Subs Used: Dylan Hegarty and Jordan Toland. Unused subs: Ryan Mc Daid and Caelon Bolton.

Kildrum Tigers: Marty Mc Ginty, Johnny Mc Ginty, Darren Cassidy, Dermot Kelly, Ryan Mc Garvey, Damien Crossan, Gary Crossan, Oisin McMenamin, Cormac Carlin, Ronan Coyle, Darren Doran. Subs Used: Neil Lloyd, Kenny Doran and Michael Lynch. Unused subs: Darren Mc Cauley, Gavin Duffy and Gareth Colhoun.

DPD 1st Division

Drumkeen Utd. Res. 3

Swilly Rovers Res. 3

Both teams fielded very young sides, that played good football, play moved from end to end with Lee Mc Monagle, and Lee Guthrie both having chances to the open scoring but shooting narrowly  wide. Brendan Toye and Jordan Toland had chances for Swilly but failed to find the target with Roy Duffy performing well in goal for the home team. In the  38th minute Drumkeen were awarded a  free  25 yds from goals and Benny Bonner beat the Swilly goalkeeper who seemed to be unsighted the ball flying into the top corner.

Drumkeen  went two up just before half time when a good 3 man move ended with Lee Guthrie knocking the ball home on the stroke of half time.

Swilly put on a lot of pressure early in the second half scored two goals inside 15 minutes to draw level. Swilly were creating a few chances now and both teams making changes Swilly went into the lead when sub Dylan Hegarty scored, with 3 minutes to play sub Peter McNamee went on a run and beat 2 swilly players then rounded the keeper and from a very acute angle and a deflection of one of the  Swilly players scored to draw the home team level. A draw was a fair result with both clubs playing at  least 9 under 18 players this is what this league should be about.  

Drumkeen: R Duffy,  M Conway, G Doherty, R Gildea, M Patton, J Russell, A Doherty, B Bonner, L Mc Monagle,  L Guthrie, P Mc Laughlin, E Doherty, O Meritt, K Quinn, J Doherty, B Kyle, P Mc Namee, R Sweeney. 

Swilly Rovers Res.: G  Boltow,  P Fisher, J Boyce, K Bourke, D Quinn, J Mc Cahill, D Fisher, J Toland, R Curtis, D. Hegarty, B Toye, O Duffy, K  Black, E Diver, R Toland, D Durnin,  D Mc Ginty, C O’Donnell.

Referee: Mr D Mc Cafferty.

Bonagee Utd. Res. 2

Letterkenny Rovers Res. 0

In this local derby contested by two very young sides, it was Bonagee who came on top by two goals to nil, a margin that may have been greater if it wasn’t for the failings of the home side in front of goal.

Played in wet conditions, both sides found it difficult to get into any sort of rhythm, and it was Bonagee that took the lead in the 28th minute, when John Sandilands managed to score straight from a corner. Letterkenny Rovers, through Kieran McPherson and Luke Friel, tried to create chances, but they found the defensive partnership of Noel O’Donnell and Mark Graham on top of their game.

Bonagee scored their second in the 59th minute, when a cross field ball by Jason Doherty was missed by the Letterkenny full back and Ryan Tyrrell capitalised to score into the far corner.  Best for Letterkenny Rovers were Kevin McGrath and Aaron Scanlon, while Jason Doherty and Noel O’Donnell played well for the hosts.

Referee: Stephen Toner.


4 Lanterns USL

Buncrana Hearts 3, Drumkeen Utd. 3

Derry City Res. 5, Bonagee Utd. 0

Kildrum Tigers 0, Cockhill Celtic 1

Bonagee Utd. 2, Buncrana Hearts 3

Cockhill Celtic 1, Derry City Res. 2

Drumkeen Utd. 1, Letterkenny Rovers 0

Swilly Rovers 2, Kildrum Tigers 2

DPD Couriers 1st Division

Drumkeen Utd. Res. 3, Swilly Rovers 3

Bonagee Utd. Res. 2, Letterkenny Rovers 0


Wednesday, 20th June at 7:30pm

Donegal News League Cup Group A

Cockhill Celtic v Derry City P. Coll

Kildrum Tigers v Bonagee Utd. T. McAree

Saturday, 23rd  June at 2.00pm

USL 1st Division

Drumkeen United v Bonagee United S. Toner Swilly Rovers v Kildrum Tigers T. McAree

4 Lanterns USL

Sunday, 24th June at 2.00pm

Derry City v Buncrana Hearts P. Coll Bonagee United v Letterkenny Rovers S. Toner Swilly Rovers v Cockhill Celtic T. McAree Drumkeen United v Fanad United P. Duddy Wed. 27th June at 7.30pm

Kildrum Tigers v Drumkeen T. McAree Derry City v Swilly Rovers P. Duddy Letterkenny Rovers v Buncrana Hearts T. Moyne Fanad United v Bonagee United P. Coll