Brian McCormick down to last eight

The Brian McCormick Cup is reaching a conclusion with the last eight now decided after yesterday’s matches. In those finals Rathmullan will play Milford Utd.; Glenea take on Cranford Utd; Deele Harps play Lifford Celtic and St. Catherine’s will take on Donegal Town.

The Brian McCormick Cup is reaching a conclusion with the last eight now decided after yesterday’s matches. In those finals Rathmullan will play Milford Utd.; Glenea take on Cranford Utd; Deele Harps play Lifford Celtic and St. Catherine’s will take on Donegal Town.

Downtown United 2

Whitestrand United 0

Match played at Errigal College on Friday evening, Downtown came away with a win in a tough encounter with Whitestrand United . Both sides started the game brightly with Downtown going close through Eddie Blake and Whitestrand creating a couple of chances through JP Malley . The scoring was finally opened in the thirty fifth minute when Downtown broke through the middle and Kieran Cunningham, with a one touch pass, put Eddie Blake through on goal and he made no mistake from ten yards. Whitestrand created a couple of chances but found Tommy McLaughlin in fine form in the Downtown goal. As the game moved on Downtown went close through Eddie Blake and Stephen Toye. The second came in the ninty eighth minute when a goal kick was flicked on by Geared Patton to Eddie Blake and he squared to Steven Toye who hammered home from just inside the box.

Best for Downtown: Eddie Blake, Gio Peoples and Sean Sweeney

Best for Whitestrand: Kevin Loughery

Referee : Marty Quinn

Mulroy Celtic 4

Kerrykeel 71 0

Mulroy came into the game hoping to secure at least a draw to finish second in what was a tough group with three Sunday League teams.

The game remained scoreless until 15 minutes into the second half when Mark Griffin raced clear and whipped in a great ball to Kieran Gallagher who controlled the ball with his knee and fired into the bottom corner. Kerrykeel tried to respond with Johnny Friel pulling the strings in midfield. Mulroy went two up when Mark Griffin got the first of his hat-trick when Brian Coyle split the defence with a fine pass from right back. Mulroy really started to turn the screw with ‘71 starting to tire. Shane Sweeney got the ball out wide, cut inside, and drove through the defence until the advancing keeper took him down. With the whistle in the referee’s mouth and the players waiting for him to point to the spot for a penalty, Griffin reacted quickest to the loose ball and passed the ball into the empty net.

Griffin was really enjoying himself now, he rounded of his impressive hat-trick when Joe Logue threaded another defence splitting pass to him and Griffin beat the Kerrykeel centre half, continued on his run and rounded the keeper brilliantly. That concluded the scoring for the game. Kerrykeel will cause teams a lot of problems when they get their strongest eleven out while Mulroy can push on with confidence after a very impressive Mc Cormick Cup campaign.

Best for Mulroy Brian Coyle, Seamus Coyle and Mark Griffin, best for Kerrykeel Shaun Friel and Miley Mc Bride

Glencar Celtic 3

Ramelton Mariners 2

Glencar ended their Brian Mc Cormick Cup campaign with a hard fought win over a dogged Mariners side. Padgo Rafferty netted twice and Martin Brogan scored from a free kick for Glencar . Mark Durkan scored twice for the Ramelton men.

Best for Glencar were Joe Baker and Noel Malseed while it was a good team performance by the Mariners

Bonagee United 0

Milford United 3

Keelan Mc Gettigan in the Milford goal made a good save on six minutes from Darren Coyle after a good ball in from the left by Paddy Mc Laughlin. Milford came close on ten minutes after a good cross from the left by T J Evesson was headed against the Bonagee bar by Ciaran Mc Ginley.

Kieran Mc Ginley for Milford shot wide of the post from just inside the box on twenty minutes after a good through ball by Pauric Curley. Bonagee had a few half chances through Jordan Toye and Ciaran Gibson. Milford took the lead on thirty five minutes after a mistake in the Bonagee defence was hammered home by Ciaran Mc Ginley from twenty yards.

Bonagee started the second half the better team and should have squared the game on fifty minutes only to see their effort go wide of the post. Milford got their second against the run of play after a Bonagee attach broke down and the ball fell to Kieran Mc Laughlin on the right who broke down the wing, cut inside the defender, and hammered the ball to the bottom corner of the net from fifteen yards.

Keelan Mc Gettigan made a great save from Paddy Mc Laughlin on Sixty five minutes from ten yards when he turned his shot over the bar. Jordan Toye on seventy minutes saw his effort from the edge of the box turned round the post by the Milford keeper. Milford got the final goal of the game on eighty minutes when the ball fell to Ciaran Mc Ginley, after a quick free kick was taken, and he found the back of the net from twelve yards. Solid team efforts by both sides. Referee Paddy Martin.

Keadue Rovers 0

Gweedore United 3

Gweedore United went away from Central Park with the three points from this final group match in the Brian McCormick Cup on Sunday.

Played in good conditions it was an understrength Keadue side that took the field, with a number of injuries, but it was the away side who were the more impressive overall. Playing with a stiff breeze in the first half it was even enough during the opening few minute.

After six minutes a defensive lapse saw Ciaran McFadden pounce and lob the ball over the advancing Ciaran Sharkey in the home goal. Gweedore went two goals up when Ciaran McFadden scored again. In the 25th minute Keadue had a chance to pull one back when a penalty was awarded for a handball but Adrian Sweeney’s effort was well saved.

By the half hour mark the game was sealed for Gweedore when Ciaran McFadden rattled the net. In the second half Keadue had more possession with the aid of the wind but despite this didn’t force the visiting keeper into any major saves while at the same time Gweedore were proving very dangerous on the break with Ciaran Sharkey coming to Keadues rescue on a few occasions.

Overall a good team performance from Gweedore United for whom Ciaran McFadden was very impressive. A good team effort from Keadue Rovers.

Referee: Joe McHugh

Glenea United 12

Dunlewy Celtic 1

Glenea proved too strong for Dunlewey in this Mc Cormick Cup game and with the possibility of goal difference being crucial, Glenea needed to take the chances that came along.

Glenea opened the scoring on 15 minutes when Sean McBride was on hand to stab the ball home from close range. Dunlewey had their best spell in the game after this and almost equalised through Daniel Cannon, who saw his effort come back off the post. Glenea doubled their lead on 35 minutes through Michael Barry. Glenea put the result beyond doubt with three goals in the last five minutes of the first half, from John Harley, Sean McBride and Michael Barry.

The second half started as the 1st finished with the home side adding another three goals in the first ten minutes, through Michael Barry and Sean McBride, both completing hat-tricks, as well as a goal for Kevin McFadden. Dunlewey pulled a goal back through John Cannon on 55 minutes.

Glenea completed the scoring with a hat-trick for Lee O’ Brien and Michael Barry got his 4th. Declan Mc Garvey and Michael Barry were best for Glenea while Patrick and Daniel Cannon tried their best to keep Dunlewey going.

Kevin Logue was the referee.

Gweedore Celtic 1

Cranford United 2

Cranford are through to the next round of the Brian Mc McCormick Cup
as they edged out the holders. It was a game of two halves with Cranford 
dominating the first half and Gweedore in the ascendency in the second half.
The visitors did the early running and were unlucky with a number of 

They opened the scoring on twenty minutes when Philip Buchannan’s cutback was finished off to the net by Cathal Diver. The second
arrived on forty minutes when a great strike from Michael Cannon gave the keeper no chance.
The home team came out more determined in the second half and
immediately put Cranford under pressure. They pulled one back on fifteen
minutes when Odhran Mac Niallais and Colin Ferry combined to play in
David Ward and he made no mistake from close range. A minute later the 
same player was unlucky when he hit the crossbar. Try as they might 
Gweedore could not secure the second, leaving Cranford to top the
Best for Gweedore Odhran Mac Niallais and Damien O’Sullivan. For Cranford, Philip Buchannan and Arthur Lynch played well
Referee: Vincent Mc Laughlin

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Deele Harps 2

Deele Harps were the favourites going into this game after impressive victories in their previous games but they found Tullyvinney a hard team to break down with a solid defensive unit in which Paddy Cassidy and Craig Kelly were outstanding.

The impressive David Gardiner always caused trouble on the counter attack for Tullyvinney. Deele went one up in the twenty third minute when the referee awarded Deele a penalty when the Tullyvinney keeper was judged to have fouled a Deele forward. Shane Gallagher registered the goal from the penalty spot. Garvan Tinney and Christy Martin were always creating chances for Tullyvinney and they were unfortunate not to score a goal, Michael Shiels’ header at the back post went straight into the keeper’s hands.

In the 42nd minute Deele were awarded a free kick at an acute angle and Aidan Gallagher registered their second goal when his free kick went into the corner of the net deceiving the home defence.

As in the first half Tullyvinney always caused Deele trouble in the second with Michael Shiels, Martin Alexander and David Gardiner putting in impressive performances. Tullyvinney were rewarded for their pressure after a fierce free kick from Christy Martin, which the Deele keeper failed to hold onto, fell into the path of the inrushing David Gardiner who rifled the ball home from six yards to score his first goal in the Donegal League.

Tullyvinney were unlucky not to share the spoils when a Martin Alexander had a goal was ruled out for an offside.

Great team effort from Tullyvinney Rovers in which David Gardiner was Man of the Match.

Best for Deele: Paul Martin. Referee: Gerry Gallagher

Lagan Harps 1

Ballybofey United 2

Ballybofey started the brighter and raced out of the blocks. They had the Lagan defence under pressure with long balls that the Lagan defence failed to cope with and dully took the lead on twelve minutes.

Again a huge punt down field lead to a mix up between the Lagan keeper and center half and Eoin Mc Auley nipped in to toe poke the ball beyond the Lagan keeper. Lagan settled and started to play good football and Ronan Gibson at right back was influencing the game more and more.

On 36 minutes a diagonal cross field ball by Gibson lead to residency in the Ballybofey back line and Drew Connolly nipped in to round keeper Mc Auley and finish to the net. Lagan were on top for the remainder of the half without putting the Ballybofey defence to the sword. A goal apiece at the interval.

Again Ballybofey started the brighter and again the long searching ball was troubling the Lagan defence.

Lagan had against the run of play a great opportunity to take the lead but Hunter’s shot was easily dealt with by Mc Auley in the Ballybofey goals. Ballybofey took the lead again on sixty minutes when, from a corner cleared to the edge of the Lagan box, Benny Kyle was on hand to drive to the net from 20 yards.

Ballybofey were unlucky not to increase their lead with Blake saving brilliantly from Mc Auley and reacting well to keep the follow up from Dunnion out also. From a Kevin Kelly free on 77 minutes Drew Connolly just failed to get on the end to draw Lagan level. Lagan pushed hard for the equaliser but resolute defending from Maurice Lafferty and safe hands from Mc Auley repelled everything that Lagan threw at them and the game petered out and Ballybofey held on.

Good team performances from both sides.

Referee Gerry Rodden had a fine game throughout.

Raphoe Town 4

Convoy Arsenal 4

Darren Kelly scored the first goal of this game when he ran behind the Convoy defence to shoot past the keeper in the 7th minute. Raphoe scored a second in the 22nd minute when John Harvey was brought down for a penalty that he took himself. Raphoe extended their lead to 3-0 when Patrick Gallagher scored direct from a corner in the 24th minute.

Convoy pulled one back just before half time when Charlie Friel beat the offside trap to chip the keeper. Mickey Mc Laughlin scored in the 69th minute to make it 3-2 and a minute later Raphoe scored an own-goal to make it 3-3.

Oliver Quinn scored a volley from 20 yards in the 76th minute to send Raphoe ahead again but Convoy were not beat yet and Charlie Friel beat the off-side trap again to chip the keeper and make it 4-4 in the closing stages. Both teams had chances to win this eight goal thriller but a draw was a fair result.

Lifford Celtic 5

Castlefin Celtic 1

On a lovely day at Greenbrae Park, Castlefin were the visitors and the task for Lifford was clear, win by four goals and you’re in the Area Final. And Lifford did, winning by five goals to one. Castlefin started the brighter in the first 10minutes but Lifford soon got a grip on the game with Ian Ward making space on the eighteen yard line and finished well with his left foot into the bottom right corner.

Lifford’s tails were up and were in the mood for more goals and they made it two when Paul Mc Daid scored from close range. In the second half Lifford started the better with Mark Neeson and the impressive Seamie Gallagher bossing the mid field, but it was up front where Lifford done the damage with the lively Jude Patton looking dangerous at all times.

It was Patton who made it 3 nil and Mark Carlin made it four on 70 minutes. The game took a twist when the Castlefin got a penalty and scored through Emmett White. Although set back a bit the strong Lifford team never gave up and they got the goal they deserved when their big striker Mc Daid scored during a mix up in the six yard box.

Best for Lifford was Seamie Gallagher and best for Castlefin was Emmett White

Letterbarrow Celtic 1

Erne Wanderers 3

Letterbarrow started the better and should have been two up inside 10 minutes, Erne Wanderers settled and two quality strikes from David Dolan sent them into a comfortable lead at the break. Both teams had numerous chances in the second half and a free kick from 35 yards by John Roper into the top corner, after being brought down by Dermot Slevin, gave Letterbarrow hope of getting something from the game.

The final goal came from an Erne corner, Liam Reynolds rising highest to power a header into the top corner from a good Dermot Slevin cross. Best for Letterbarrow were Lex Lowther, John Kenny and Declan Roper while Jamie Mc Donald and David Dolan stood out for the visitors

St. Catherine’s 2

Cappry Rovers 0

St. Catherine’s played hosts to Cappry Rovers in Emerald Park on Sunday in the Brian Mc Cormack Cup. Both teams began the game well and created a host of chances but neither team could take them. The Saint broke down the right hand side and the ball was crossed to the back post where Gene Lett somehow headed the ball wide from close range.

Cappry then had a couple of half chances themselves but they just could not get past the Saints keeper Brendan Mullen.

On 32 minutes Luke Kelly hit the cross bar with a header. Cappry had a goal chance just before half time but it came to nothing so it was no score at half time. The 2nd half started with both teams looking to see who could get on the score sheet first. It was Cappry who started the sharper and created a good chance but the Saints keeper was alive to the shot. The Saints upped the pressure and began to come more into the game and created more chances. Ryan Farrell had a header that just went over the bar, then with about 10 minutes left the Saints got down the wing and a cross by Rory Murray to the back post was met by Ryan Farrell who put the ball into the net to put the Saints one up.

Cappry then had to push and look for an equaliser but with them chasing looking for a goal they were exposed at the back and the home side added a second to wrap up the points.

Eany Celtic 5

Copany Rovers 0

Eany Celtic secured their first win in the Brian McCormack Cup series with a five nil victory over an under strength Copany Rovers side. Eany opened the scoring when a John Rose shot was well saved by the Copany keeper however Declan Boyle was on hand to slot home the rebound.

Rose got on the score sheet fifteen minutes later with a fine strike and a brace of goals from debutant James Flynn either side of half time put Eany into a commanding four goal lead . Liam Mc Groarty got Eany’s fifth when he broke through from midfield.

Referee: Liam Farren

Donegal Town 3

Fintown Harps AFC 2

Donegal Town booked their place in the Area Final with a close fought victory over Fintown in Páirc Acla.

A mix up in the Donegal defence allowed Brian Delaney to pounce and put Fintown in front. Donegal equalised before the break when Sato Majima finished brilliantly inside the box from an Alex Mc Nelis cross. Donegal got their noses in front when Declan Brown saw his stinging twenty five yard effort slip through the hands of the Fintown ‘keeper.

An excellent strike from Raymond McMenamin put the home side level with twenty minutes to go but Donegal sealed the all important three points when Aidan McFadden headed home late on.