Killybegs stay top with home win

Killybegs stay top of Division Two after picking up three points from a possible four over the weekend. They had a comfortable win over lowly Fanad Gaels on Sunday. Malin were the other big movers of the weekend, also picking up three points from a possible four.

Killybegs stay top of Division Two after picking up three points from a possible four over the weekend. They had a comfortable win over lowly Fanad Gaels on Sunday. Malin were the other big movers of the weekend, also picking up three points from a possible four.

Glenfin 2-11

Cloughaneely 0-12

Kevin McGlynn and Mark McGinty scored the all important goals as Glenfin overcame Cloughaneely in a high scoring encounter at Pairc Taobhoige on Sunday.

McGlynn netted the first in the opening minutes when Lee McFadden in the Clouganeely goals misjudged the flight of the ball while McGinty fisted the other just before half-time.

These two scores proved the difference against a determined and well organised Cloughaneely who gave as good as they got for much of the rest of the contest.

McGinty’s goal gave the locals a half-time cushion of 2-7 to 0-7.

Cloughaneely with two Shaun McGarvey points and one from Sean McBride reduced the margin to three 2-7 to 0-10 early in the second period. But Glenfin just upped their game again to post four points – Gerard Ward, Leigh Herron, McDermott, Ciaran Moy - to Cloughaneely’s two – Sean Maguire and Shaun McGarvey - in the closing 20 minutes.

Glenfin opened in whirlwind fashion and they had 1-2 on the board - Stephen McDermott and Michael McGlynn with the points either side of Kevin McGlynn’s goal - before Shaun McGarvey got Cloughaneely off the mark.

But with Sean Maguire, Denis Boyle, Darren McGeever and Maguire again all pointing Cloughaneely drew level 1-2 to 0-5.

Just when it seemed the momentum was with Cloughaneely, Glenfin responded with a purple patch of their own as they hit five points before McGinty got goal number two to send his side in six up at half-time.

Glenfin: B O’Meara; D Herron, G Herron, D McGlynn; S McGlynn, G Martin, F McGlynn (0-1); M McGlynn (0-1), S McDermott (0-2); C Moy (0-2,1f), K McGlynn (0-1), H Foy; G Ward (0-2,2f), Mark McGinty(snr) (1-1), L Herron (0-1). Subs: C Foy for G Martin (inj); C Ward for K McGlynn (inj).

Cloughaneely: L McFadden; M Lynch, P J Doohan, K McFadden; C McGee, K Mulhern, D Ferry; C McBride; D McGeever (0-1); S McBride (0-1), S McGarvey (0-5,3f), P McCafferty; D Boyle (0-1), S Maguire (0-4), D McGarvey. Sub: J Friel for K Mulhern.

Referee: T Gallagher (Red Hughs).

Malin 0-16

Sean McCumhaill’s 0-6

Malin rounded off a busy weekend schedule with a very comfortable win over Sean McCumhaills on Sunday afternoon in Malin.

The winners set their stall out from the off and raced into an early lead courtesy of points from Paddy McColgan, Terence Doherty before Martin O’Reilly opened MacCumhaill’s account.

Despite playing into a stiff breeze Malin continued to press and had extended their lead out to four points 0-5 to 0-1 by the 20 minute mark with Anthony Kelly, Seamus Doherty and Matthew Byrne all finding the target.

Brian Lafferty converted a disputed ‘45’ for the only other point of the half for the visitors, although Martin O’Reilly went close to finding the Malin net, only to pull his shot wide with the goal gaping.

Leading 0-6 to 0-2, Matthew Byrne and Gary Farren extended the Malin lead out to six and while Martin O’Reilly and Steven O’Reilly either side of a Michael Byrne ‘45’, twice reduced the margin to five, Malin were in no mood to be denied.

And the black and ambers turned the screw with Paul McLaughlin, Anthony Kelly, and Matthew Byrne all splitting the posts for a nine point lead 0-13 to 0-4.

Kelly and Paul McLaughlin added to the Malin tally with substitute Stephen Mulligan with MacCumhaill’s first score in ten minutes before Brian Lafferty brought down the curtain on the scoring.

Malin: D Lafferty: J G McLaughlin, D Harkin, C Byrne; G Farren, C Farren, P McColgan(0-1); P Kelly, A Kelly (0-4,4f); S Doherty(0-1), M Byrne (0-5), Dan McDaid; P McLaughlin (0-2), T Doherty (0-2), M Byrne (0-1,’45’). Subs: D Mullarkey, A Byrne.

Sean MacCumhaills: R Patton; O. Wright, J Lynch, A McCloskey; S Duffy, G Dunnion, J Dunnion; P Hannigan, P McNulty, G Gallagher; S McGowan, B Lafferty (0-2, 145), B McLaughlin, S O’Reilly (0-1), M O’Reilly(0-2,1f). Sub: S Mulligan (0-1), D McGowan.

Killybegs 0-17

Fanad 0-6

Killybegs kept their good run going by overcoming Fanad in a entertaining clash in Eamonn Byrne Memorial Park, Fintra.

Killybegs started the game brighter and were three points up after ten minutes without reply. Fanad then got their support game going and came back into the game with good points from Seamie and Mark Friel. Killybegs closed the first half brighter and tacked on six unanswered points with Barry Cannon and Charles Tully prominent.

Fanad pulled back three points in-a-row at the start of the second half but Killybegs got going again and ran out easy winners.

For Fanad, Cathal Martin, Paddy McConigley, Michael Sweeney and Seamie Friel, who looked bright throughout, were best, while for Killybegs it was overall a good team effort with Conal Molloy, Barry Cannon and Brendan Boyle outstanding.

Killybegs: A O Hara; C Conaghan, K Fallon, J Noctor; D Conwell 0-1, S Boyle, R Boyle; M Smith 0-1, B Boyle 0-2; M Boyle 0-1, C Tully 0-2, D Breslin 0-1; B Maguire 0-1, B Cannon 0-3, C Molloy 0-5. Subs; E Murphy for M Boyle, H McFadden for J Noctor, C Murrin for D Breslin , P Gallagher for B Maguire, V Smith for C Tully.

Fanad Gaels: M McConigley; P Herrity, C Martin, T McBride; F Friel 0-1, P McConigley, P Shiels; M Sweeney, Seamus Friel; A McAteer, R McAteer 0-1, D Walsh 0-1; Seamie Friel 0-3, K McElwaine. Sub: C Talbot for A McAteer.

Referee: Connie Doherty (N Conaill).

Naomh Brid 0-11

Naomh Mhuire 1-4

Naomh Brid edged out Naomh Mhuire at Pairc Naomh Brid on Sunday afternoon in an evenly fought encounter.

Naomh Brid took an early two point lead with scores from David Walsh and Alan McGirr until Naomh Mhuire responded with two scores from Harry Harden.

Pauric McDaid and Ciaran McGinley then traded frees to leave the score 3 points each with 10 minutes remaining in the first half. Naomh Brid began to take control around the middle and a long range Shane Walsh free followed by a Pauric McDaid free helped them to 0-5 to 0-3 half time lead.

Naomh Brid opened the scoring in the second half through Darragh Brogan and this was quickly followed with a score from David Walsh. Naomh Mhuire responded with a McGinley free but Naomh Brid hit back with scores from Shane Walsh and Pauric McDaid to leave them ahead 0-9 to 0-4.

Naomh Mhuire were awarded a penalty midway through the second half for a clumsy challenge in front of the goals and this was well dispatched by Ciaran McGinley to leave two points between the teams.

Darragh Brogan responded with a long range effort to bring the margin to 3 points with a few minutes remaining. As Naomh Mhuire pushed forward in numbers looking for a goal, Naomh Brid broke quickly and a well worked move was finished of by Shane Walsh to give Naomh Brid a victory.

Naomh Brid: Stephen Doherty, Jamie Timoney, Clint Walsh, Gary McCafferty, Ross Gallagher, Dermot Langan, Sean Gormley, Alan McGirr (0-1), Thomas Gallagher, Calum Gallagher, David Walsh (0-2), Darragh Brogan (0-2), Shane Walsh (0-3 1f), Pete Walsh, Pauric McDaid (0-3 3f).

Division Two Table

P W L D Pts

Killybegs 5 4 0 1 9

Glenfin 5 4 1 0 8

MacCumhaills 5 3 2 0 6

Malin 4 2 1 1 5

Cloughaneely 4 2 1 1 5

Naomh Brid 4 2 2 0 4

Bundoran 4 1 3 0 2

Naomh Mhuire 5 0 4 1 1

Fanad Gaels 4 0 0 4 0