St Eunan’s far too strong for understrength Kilcar

CAOLAN WARD kicked a goal and point and Conor Gibbon’s posted three points as St. Eunan’s continued their winning run with a comfortable victory over Kilcar at O’Donnell Park.

St. Eunan’s 1-11

Kilcar 0-4

The win moves St Eunan’s to second place in the league two ahead of Kilcar, who have a game in hand, and two behind table toppers Naomh Conaill.

Both sides were without their county men due to next Sunday’s championship game. St. Eunan’s were minus Rory Kavanagh and Kilcar without Mark McHugh and Patrick McBrearty.

It was St Eunan’s stronger squad and greater strength in depth that proved this game as a contest was long over before he end. The winners won all the key battles with Caolan Ward, Eamon Doherty, Ross Wherity, Conall Dunne, Lee McMonagle, Austin Marron and Conor Gibbons all in impressive form.

Michael Hegarty, Ciaran McGinley, Noel Hegarty, Barry Shovlin and Pauric Carr put in solid showings, while Daire O’ Donnell when introduced did show some neat touches and scored a fine point.

Playing with the aid of a driving wind and heavy rain St. Eunan’s without really rolling up their sleeves lead by five points at half-time 0-6 to 0-1 as both sides struggled with the difficult conditions.

They put on a spurt after Ashley Carr kicked the game’s opening score after two minutes with three points from Austin Marron, Conor Gibbons and Ross Wherity.

And they shook themselves again before half-time as Lee McMonagle kicked their fourth point on 28 minutes and Gibbons and Caolan Ward, both raised flags before they ran down the tunnel.

Kilcar were first to score again on the resumption with first half substitute Daire O’Donnell curling over a delightful point.

And when Glen McBrearty landed a second just after Wherity had opened the locals second period account the margin was down to four, 0-7 to 0-3, and it looked as if Kilcar were going to make a game of it.

But that all changed when Kieran Sharkey and Coalan Ward, both up from the back combined for Ward to drive past Eamon McGinley for the games only goal and game settling score.

That was on 40 minutes and leading 1-7 to 0-3 in front and dictating St. Eunan’s were never going to be caught.

And with the rain pelting down and conditions deteriorating the game fizzled out in the closing 20 minutes with man of the match Wherity, Gibbons and Sean Hensey registering, St. Eunan’s had stretched their advantage out to eight points by the 50 minute mark.

Ciaran McGinley scored Kilcar’s first point in 20 minutes before the ever green John Haran – a second half sub – brought down the curtain on the scoring five minutes from the end.

St. Eunan’s: John Paul Clarke; Eddie Brennan, Micheal Martin, Kieran Sharkey; Peter Devine, Eamon Doherty, Caolan Ward (1-1); Ross Wherity (0-3,1, 45), Sean Hensey (0-1); Lee McMonagle (0-1), Conall Dunne, Packie Kennedy; Austin Marron (0-1), Sean McVeigh, Conor Gibbons (0-3, 1f). Subs: John Haran (0-1) for S. McVeigh; Kieran Greene for M. Martin; Paddy McGowan for A. Marron; Barry McGeehin for P. Kennedy.

Kilcar: Eamon McGinley; Declan McCloskey, Barry Shovlin, Pauric Carr; Noel Hegarty, Conor McShane, Declan Gallagher; Ciaran McGinley, Michael Hegarty; Padraig Sweeney, Mark Sweeney, Glen McBrearty; Ashley Carr (0-1), Barry Doherty, Matthew McClean. Sub: Daire O’Donnell for D. McCloskey inj.

Referee: Seamus McGonigle (Aodh Ruadh).