Glenea make most of game in hand

GLENEA UNITED won their game in hand on Gweedore Celtic to defeat Drumoghill by three goals to two at the Moss to move joint-top of the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division.

GLENEA UNITED won their game in hand on Gweedore Celtic to defeat Drumoghill by three goals to two at the Moss to move joint-top of the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Arranmore United 3

D O’Donnell 62 pen; G McGhee 64; B McGarvey 75

Gweedore United 0

Arranmore secured three valuable points in the relegation battle against fellow strugglers Gweedore United.

The home side took the lead when Daniel O’Donnell scored from the spot. Arranmore doubled their advantage two minutes later following great play from Shane Elliot, who set up Gary McGhee to tap home. Arranmore killed the game as a contest when Elliot again did great work to set up the Arranmore captain Benny McGarvey who beat four men and chipped the keeper for a truly amazing finish.

Curragh Athletic 0

Cappry Rovers 2

B McLaughlin 26 pen; J Ramsay 62

Cappry collected all three points from their match away to Curragh Athletic.

Cappry were awarded a penalty after Curragh keeper Roy Duffy was adjudged to have fouled and Benny McLaughlin converted the spot kick. They increased their lead on when John Ramsey scored. Garth Patton in the Cappry goal ensured Curragh were kept scoreless.

Dunlewey Celtic 2

B McGeady 22, 70

Raphoe Town 5 D Craig 44, 51, 85; E Kelly 48, 65

David Craig scored a hat-trick as Raphoe enjoyed a comfortable away win against Dunlewey Celtic.

They took the lead from Brendan McGeady. The visitors levelled it just on half time from Craig. The second half started well for the visitors as they got two quick goals from Emmet Kelly and Craig. The home side made it hard for themselves when Kelly scored again. McGeady gave the home side hope when he headed home a Declan McFadden cross. Hugo Cannon’s bad kick out fell to David Craig who complete a fine hat trick.

There was a minute’s silence in memory of the late Seamus Ferry (Oisin) who passed away suddenly the previous Monday night.

CT Ball Division Two

Kerrykeel 71 FC 0

Cranford United 0

Derby day in Kerrykeel failed to find a winner as close neighbours Cranford United made the short trip across Mulroy Bay.

Kerrykeel’s best chance of the first half came on when man of the match Marty McAteer sent a great shot on target but Enda McHugh in the Cranford goal pulled off a great stop. Cranford hit the crossbar on the stroke of half-time when Declan Hunter crossed for Philip Buchanan but Friel tipped his header onto the bar.

Ballybofey United 2

M Lynch 30; D Crossan 55

Glenree United 0

Ballybofey United set themselves up for an interesting end to the season when they defeated Glenree United on Sunday.

Michael Lynch broke the deadlock with a stunning strike. The midfielder ran on to a loose ball 30 yards from goal and he volleyed an unstoppable shot. The assurance goal arrived for the home side when Alan Patton made a good right-wing run before sending over a teasing cross which Darragh Crossan tapped home at the back post.

Letterbarrow Celtic 2

S Graham 35 pen; C McGowan 70

Copany Rovers 5

T Given 3; G Harron 25, 6, 85; P McGrath 46

A young Copany side came out on top in their local derby against Letterbarrow Celtic thanks to Glen Harron’s treble.

Thomas Given gave the visitors the lead when he poked home after a scramble in the box. Copany went two up when Harron broke from midfield. Letterbarrow battled well and were rewarded when Stephen Graham scored from the penalty spot after a hand ball. However, the home side were caught cold at the start of the second half when the defence stopped expecting a free but the visitors were alert and Pete McGrath scored from close range. Harron got his second and Copany’s fourth when he capitalised on a defensive error. Letterbarrow pulled a goal back on when Conor McGowan slammed home from 10 yards. However, Harron sealed the points when he beat the offside trap to secure a 5-2 victory for the visitors.

Keadue Rovers 3

D McGlynn 10; D Boyle 20, 62

Bonagee United 0

Keadue Rovers rounded off their home league campaign with a fairly easy victory over Bonagee at Central Park.

Keadue, playing with the wind, made a lively start and left winger Darragh McGlynn scored from a left wing effort curling past the keeper into the corner. Then, McGlynn’s cross was met by a Doalty Boyle header low into the corner. Boyle struck home to make the game safe in the second half.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Castlefin Celtic 2

M Curran 42, D McGlinchey 89

Gweedore United 1

J Sweeney 25 pen

Castlefin Celtic came from behind to post a 2-1 win against Gweedore United.

Against the run of play Gweedore took the lead when James Sweeney converted a penalty. Castlefin equalised just before the break when a James McMenamin free was headed home by Marcus Curran. Castlefin got the winner in the last minute when a through ball from Thomas Devlin to James McMenamin was squared to Damien McGlinchey, who scored.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Donegal Town 3

G Ward 20; R Abdullagh 49; B Kemp 75

Ramelton Mariners 0

Donegal kept their unbeaten home league record going at the Hospital Field on Saturday with a fine 3-0 victory over league leaders Ramelton.

Gary Ward opened the scoring with a fine long range effort after good work down the right hand side from Niall Harvey. After the break Donegal doubled the lead when an excellent Ronan Mc Loughlin cross was headed home by Rhia Abdullagh to the corner of the net. The victory was sealed when Barry Kemp chased down Mark Brown’s kick-out to stab the ball past the out-rushing keeper.

Cranford United 3

K Fisher 20; J Gallagher 60; E Doherty 71

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

J Patrick 80

There were three goals and three points for Cranford United in their home fixture against Tullyvinney Rovers.

Cranford then went one when Kevin Fisher rose highest to finish a Johnny Wilhare corner past the keeper. After the break, Joe Gallagher broke free and scored for Cranford with a neat finish from inside the box. Cranford got a third when Eddie Doherty finished with a header from inside the box. Tullyvinney responded when John Patrick broke the offside trap and finished into the corner.

Deele Harps 5

S Gallagher 20, 35; E Catterson 51; P Colhoun 60, 80

Downtown United 3

Deele Harps came out on top of an eight-goal affair against Downtown United.

The hosts broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when Shane Gallagher turned home at the near post from a corner. The same player doubled the lead after a great throughball from Gavin Gallagher. Deele extended the lead when Emmett Catterson forced the ball home from a corner. Downtown pulled a goal back but Deele scored their fourth when Paul Colhoun flicked home shortly after. Downtown pulled another goal back with a great free-kick. Deele responded quickly and extended their advantage to three again with 10 minutes to go when Paul Colhoun finished before a late consolation.

Glenea United 1

M Doohan 65 pen

Mulroy Celtic 2

S Coyle 77, JP Malley 89

Glenea’s hope of promotion was dented by their 2-1 home loss against Mulroy Celtic, for whom JP Malley continued his hot streak with a last minute winner.

In the second half the home side started to dominate the game and took the lead from the penalty spot, when Martin Doohan converted. Mulroy were handed a lifeline when Seamus Coyle’s cross from the right somehow dropped into the net at the far post. Malley got onto a long clearance and slotted the ball home to confirm the win.

Downtown Cup Group B

Fintown Harps 3

S McMillian 15; 40, 81

Glenree United 1

Fintown continued their winning ways with another victory in the Downtown Cup, this time against Glenree United when Sean McMillian scored a hat-trick.

Fintown’s McMillian got a well deserved goal and added a second to make it 2-0 at the break. In the second half Glenree pulled one back but with 10 minutes left on the clock Gary McHugh sent a great through ball to McMillian who completed his hat-trick for the day.

Milford United 2

A O’Donnell 25; M Flood 80

Dunfanaghy Town 1

A Kelly 70

Milford secured the win they needed to have any chance of getting out of the group.

The hosts broke the deadlock when a speculative shot from Aiden O’Donnell deceived the keeper and ended up in the back of the net. The equaliser came after poor Milford defending failed to clear and Andrew Kelly fired into the corner from 15 yards. Milford went for broke and Mark Flood secured the win with a well taken goal from 10 yards.