Gweedore Celtic move six points clear at top

GWEEDORE CELTIC moved six points clear at the top of the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division as second-placed Milford United were involved in the FAI Junior Cup. Glenea United also took advantage and now lead the chasers.

GWEEDORE CELTIC moved six points clear at the top of the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division as second-placed Milford United were involved in the FAI Junior Cup. Glenea United also took advantage and now lead the chasers.

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division

Castlefin Celtic 1

D Whyte (86)

Gweedore Celtic 4

T Diver (40 pen, 49), D Sullivan (60), C McFadden (80)

Champions Gweedore Celtic moved six points clear at the top of the Premier Division with a comprehensive 4-1 win at Parkview against Castlefin Celtic.

As the first half drew to a close Gweedore were awarded a penalty following a goalmouth scramble which resulted in hand ball claims from the away team. Tomas Diver made no mistake from the spot kick and Gweedore went in at half time a goal up in a tight contest.

Diver added a second minutes into the second half, a well placed effort this time, and Damien Sullivan made it three. Ciaran McFadden scored the goal of the game, a 30-yard bolt into the top left corner to secure the result for Gweedore. Castlefin substitute Dylan White pulled one back.

Drumoghill 3

C O’Donnell (10), L O’Donnell (56, 77)

Lifford Celtic 2

K McBrearty (86), A McAteer (og 89)

The score might suggest a close game but the reality is that this was anything but.

Drumoghill, leading 3-0 with less than five minutes remaining, did their best to self-destruct. Late strikes from Kevin Mc Brearty and an own goal from Drumoghill goalkeeper Shane McAteer resulted in Drumoghill’s lead being reduced to the bare minimum going into injury time. A few moments earlier Drumoghill were comfortable in the extreme as they were holding a 3-0 advantage after a second half double from Liam O’Donnell added to his brother Christopher’s first half strike.

Lagan Harps 0

Glenea United 3

B Cuffe (47), K McFadden (65), K Mulhern (80)

Lagan slumped to a second home defeat when they lost to a stronger and more determined Glenea United side on Sunday.

Having lost 5-1 at home to Eany Celtic a week beforehand, the New Year has started badly for the Manorcunningham side. Glenea made the breakthrough two minutes in to the second half when Kevin Mulhern’s blocked effort fell in to the path of Brian Cuffe and he drove home from the edge of the area. A second came when full-back Kevin McFadden, as he had threatened in the first half, fired home a screamer from 35 yards. With 10 minutes left, Ryan McFadden’s low free-kick was missed by two Lagan defenders and Mulhern tapped home at the back post.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Rathmullan Celtic 0

Donegal Town 0 Title-chasing Rathmullan Celtic dropped two points at home against the 10 men of Donegal Town at Flagpole Park on Sunday. The Seasiders were put under constant pressure in a first half that the visitors dominated but the contest was significantly reduced when James Deeney was sent off when the forward, already on a yellow card, got his marching orders. When called upon, Denis Sheridan pulled off a superb double save to deny Carl Finnegan on 70 minutes, while Celtic’s two clear opportunities fell to Aaron Mc Clafferty, who saw his 30 yard drive go inches over the crossbar, while an injured Sheridan persevered through a final half hour and very nearly grabbed the winner only to be denied by a fine Paul Kelly save.

Gweedore United 0

St Catherine’s 5

S O’Rourke (11, 48), B Cannon (60, 80), G McCabe (90)

 St Catherine’s narrowed the gap at the top to Rathmullan Celtic following a convincing win at Carrickboyle against table croppers Gweedore United.

Shane O’ Rourke put the Saints one up when he headed a well delivered corner past Keller in the United net. O’ Rourke made it 2-0 to the visitors when he headed a well delivered Shane Molloy cross to the back of the net. In the 65th minute Barry Cannon got the 3rd for Catherines when a defensive error fell to him and he lobbed Keller ending any chance of a come-back from Gweedore. Catherine;s got their fourth when Cannon finished well. The fifth goal came with Gerry McCabe slotting home.

Arranmore United 1

D O’Donnell (38)

Dunlewey Celtic 1

D Cannon (82)

Dunlewey came away from Arranmore Island with a deserved point after a lively encounter. The hosts dominated the first half but did not take the lead until Daniel O’Donnell cracked home a beauty from 25 yards following good work from Gavin Mc Glanaghey. Despite several bad misses the away side got their goal with Daniel Cannon scoring in the 82nd minute following a good build up.

Convoy Arsenal 0

Cappry Rovers 7

M Martin (7, 65), J Lynch (20), B Lafferty (46), B McLaughin (47, 49), K Lafferty (89)

Convoy Arsenal remain second from bottom following their seven-goal hammering at home against Cappry Rovers.

The visitors opened their account when Malachy Martin volleyed home from outside the box after a poor clearance. Then, John Lynch made it 2-0 when he slotted home. At the start of the second half, Brian Lafferty scored from outside the box after a pass from Martin. On 47 minutes Benny McLaughlin received a great pass from Lafferty and outwitted the convoy keeper to put his team four up. Then, McLaughlin scored again with a fine individual effort and Martin got his second after a fantastic run on the left hand side. Just before the end Aaron Kelly combined with Kyle Lafferty for the latter to make it seven.

CT Ball Division Two

Kerrykeel 2

F Callaghan (33 pen), B Callaghan (78)

Ballybofey United 0 League leaders Ballybofey came to Rab’s Park but left empty handed as Kerrykeel sealed an impressive 2-0 victory. 

Trevor Alcorn won Kerrykeel a penalty on thirty three minutes when Eamonn Mc Auley brought him down and Fergus Callaghan stepped up and fired his penalty into the top corner. Kerrykeel introduced Jerome Burke and the hit-man marked his debut with a clinching goal on 78 minutes when he headed home a cross from Benny Callaghan.

Bonagee United 0

Cranford United 1

B Giles (60)

Cranford United are now just a single point behind Ballybofey United after their single goal victory at Bonagee United.

The away team got the only goal of the game on the hour with a long ball out of defence by McElwaine fell to Brendan Giles, who shot home from just inside the box. Both teams had half chances but both keepers were in good form on the day. Bonagee should have equalized on 88 minutes after good work down the right by Charlie Creevy, he beat the full back, and crossed to Kieran Gibson who shot over from three yards out. Cranford’s Enda McHugh made a great save from Darren Coyle on full-time.

Letterbarrow Celtic 0

Whitestrand United 1

E Sweeney (10)

A single goal from Eamonn Sweeney was enough to preserve third spot in the table for Whitestrand United in their win at Letterbarrow Celtic.

The visitors took the lead on 10 minutes when Sweeney headed home after a good cross. Letterbarrow pushed hard for an equaliser for the rest of the first half and were unlucky when Patrick Mc Garrigle rounded the ‘keeper only to see his fine effort cleared of the line. The second half was end to end and either side could have scored on numerous occasions with Sweeney denied by the woodwork on 70 minutes.

Keadue Rovers 6

S Boyle (1, 48, 58), M Boyle (15, 48), D Hanlon (70)

Copany Rovers 1

T Given (86)

Fourth-placed Keadue Rovers had a big victory over Copany Rovers at Central Park to boost their promotion hopes with Sean Boyle grabbing a hat-trick.

A Paddy Bonner through ball in the first minute found Sean Boyle and racing into the box he held off the defender before shooting low to the net for the opener. Then, Mark Boyle took control of the ball at the edge of the area and his shot took a slight bobble of the turf and over the keeper. Sean Boyle made the game safe when he took the ball down on the edge of the box and rifled low in to the corner. It was soon four as a good run from Paddy Bonner, laid the ball off to Sean Boyle whose cross was met by Mark Boyle for a close range tap in. After fifty eight minutes Sean Boyle completed his hat-trick with a chip over the keeper. At this stage Keadue introduced a few subs and it was Damien Hanlon who made it 6-0. Thomas Given scored a late consolation.


Downtown Cup Group A

Glencar Celtic 3

D Scanlon (14), G Grieve (44), S Hilley (45)

Deele Harps 4

A Gallagher (10, 74), McLaughin (31), S Gallagher (72)

Qualification might be beyond Deele Harps in the Downtown Cup but the came out on top in an entertaining match against Glencar Celtic oin Saturday.

Adi Gallagher opened the scoring for Deele on 10 minutes against the run of play. Decky Scanlon drew the game level. McLaughlin made it 2-1 to Deele as Glencar were piling on the pressure but Garvin Grieve equalised for Glencar with a brilliant free kick from 25 yards and two minutes into added onShane Hilley made it 3-2 to Glencar with a fine strike from the edge of the box. Deele Harps, through Shane Gallagher, got the equaliser on 72 minutes and Adi Gallagher got the winner.

Ramelton Mariners 3

P Durning (35, 58), P Gallagher (75)

Glenea United Res 1

E Muldowney (24)

Mariners came out on top in their closely fought Downtown Cup game at Rabs Park against Glenea United.

Glenea started much the brighter and took the lead through Edward Muldowney. Mariners rallied and Patrick Durning scored from a Paul Gallagher cross on 35 minutes.

The Mariners took the lead on 58 minutes, again from Patrick Durning who fired home a Raymond Friel cross. Mariners wrapped up the game in the 75th minute when Paul Gallagher toe poked a pinpoint through ball from Gavin Mackay.

Downtown Cup Group B

Castlefin Celtic Res 0

Milford United Res 1

O Ferry (5)

Sharp thinking following a defensive error led to the decisive goal at Parkview when Owen Ferry found the net after only five minutes to give Milford the points against Castlefin Celtic.

Milford came close to a second minutes later only for Paul Logue to react well to save a deflected shot keeping the Castlefin men in the game. Mid-way through the half Thomas Devlin found himself one on one and Damien Crossan in the Milford goal did well to keep his side on top.

The latter end of the second half saw Castlefin pushing hard for an equaliser with Jason Curran, Damien Mc Glinchey, Brian Dooher and Stephen Lafferty keeping Damien Crossan busy in the Milford goal.

Fintown Harps 4

A Thompson (8), G McHugh (26), S McMillan (76)

Dunfanaghy Town 1

P McFadden (15)

At Pairc Acla in Fintown this game between Fintown and Dunfanaghy saw the home side carry their league form into the Downtown Cup.

Fintown’s Aaron Thompson slotted a ball into the net from a kick out from his brother Leon in the Fintown goal. Shortly after Dunfanaghy’s Patrick McFadden got the equaliser. The home team went back in front when Peadar Toner crossed a great ball into the box to find Gary McHugh. He beat the keeper heading to the net. With Fintown on a high they furthered their lead with Toner again crossing it to Paddy McFadden on the edge on the box. He laid it off to Mc Hugh who struck the ball from and rattled the net making it 3-1. Fintown then put the cherry on the cake when Eugene Molloy sent in a great ball to find Shan McMillan and he struck it on the volley and scored a great goal.

Downtown Cup Group C

Mulroy Celtic 4

JP Malley (44 pen, 56), J Friel (77), P Coyle (85)

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Mulroy Celtic kicked off the second half of their season with a hard fought victory in Saturday’s cup game with Tullyvinney.

Mulroy took the lead on the stroke of half time when the superb JP Malley won and converted a penalty. The same player made it two, volleying home from a Talbot flick on. Tullyvinney gave themselves a glimmer of hope when they pulled one back midway through the second half but any hopes of drawing level didn’t last long as Johnny Friel restored the two-goal lead finishing well at the back post. Paul Coyle came off the bench to add a fourth soon after.

Downtown Cup Group D

Cranford United Res 1

C Shiels (76)

Gweedore Celtic Res 1

C McFadden (90 pen)

Cranford and Gweedore played out a hard fought draw in Cranford Park on a fine January day.

This was a game of two halves with Gweedore having a lot of the ball in the first half assisted by the wind on their backs. Cranford went one up when Conor Shiels beat the defence and finished well past the keeper. With only a few minutes remaining Joe Bonnar missed for Gweedore from close range. Then Gweedore got a penalty in the 90th minute and Chris McFadden finished well from the spot.

Gweedore United Res 2

M Byrne (32, 70)

Downtown United 4

E Blake (36), G Patton (42), A Walsh (54), S Doherty (85)

There was incident aplenty under the floodlights at Carrickboyle on Friday night as Gweedore United lost out to Downtown United.

Gweedore broke the deadlock when Matthew Byrne drove into the Downtown net from close range. The visitors got back on level terms when an error in the United defence fell to Eddie Blake who scored from close range. Downtown went 2-1 up when Gerard Patton drove home. The second half started with Gweedore pushing for an equaliser however Downtown doubled their advantage on the break when Anthony Walsh shot into the corner. Byrne drove a 20-yard shot into the Downtown net to make it 3-2. Downtown made sure of the three points when Stephen Doherty scored in the bottom corner.