Milford cut gap on Gweedore Celtic with away win

WITH Donegal League Premier Division champions Gweedore Celtic away on FAI Junior Cup duty in Tipperary, second placed Milford United used their game in the hand to move to within four points of the league leaders with a 2-0 win away to Drumoghill FC.

WITH Donegal League Premier Division champions Gweedore Celtic away on FAI Junior Cup duty in Tipperary, second placed Milford United used their game in the hand to move to within four points of the league leaders with a 2-0 win away to Drumoghill FC.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Drumoghill FC 0

Milford United 2

P Shields (12), M Flood (87)

Second placed Milford United completed the double over Drumoghill with this 2-0 victory at The Moss.

It was not until the 87th minute that they finally sealed the points. Mark Flood dispatched the perfect free-kick to finally kill off any hope of a Drumoghill fightback.

Milford had been leading thanks to Paul Shield’s early header. Joey Cullen’s corner-kick delivery in the 12th minute was headed on by Christy McCafferty and there was Paul Shields to glance home at the back post.

Glenea United 2

K Mulhern (50), R McFadden (89)

Dunkineely Celtic 1

A Nesbitt (1)

Glenea United kept up their challenge for league honours with a hard earned victory over Dunkineely Celtic thanks to a last minute goal from Ryan McFadden.

The away side took the lead in the first minute through Andrew Nesbitt, when he took advantage of a defensive mix-up and slotted the ball home.

Glenea started the second half strongly and got the equaliser inside five minutes when Kevin Mulhern was on hand to force home a Ryan McFadden corner. The hosts got their winning goal on 89 minutes when McFadden headed home a Barry McGinley cross.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 5

P Buchanan (57), A Friel (60), M McAteer (65), K McMenamin (75), M McLaughlin (87)

Castlefin Celtic 0

Kilmacrennan Celtic started off the New Year with a good win against Castlefin Celtic with five second half goals.

After a scoreless first half, Aidan Friel released Eddie Doherty down the wing and Doherty’s pinpoint cross found the head of Philip Buchanan. Aidan Friel then coolly rounded the onrushing keeper and put the hosts two up with an hour played.

Martin McAteer scored five minutes later as his cross somehow managed to deceive the Castlefin keeper. Kevin McMenamin blasted home from 25 yards with a sweet shot with 15 minutes to go. Michael McLaughlin came off the bench to score a fifth.

Lagan Harps 1

O McMenamin (3 pen)

Eany Celtic 5

B Rose (20, 85), G Maguire (25), M Shovlin (40, 60)

Eany got their new year off to a great start with a convincing win over Lagan Harps in Orchard Park.

Lagan took the lead when Oisin McMenamin converted a penalty after a handball. After a few close efforts Eany equalised on 20 minutes when Barry Rose headed home a corner.

They took the lead when Gavin Maguire’s low drive from 30 yards found the back of the net and Martin Shovlin made it 3-1 at half-time. Shovlin then scored for Eany on 60 minutes the game was over. Shovlin scored from close range when Lagan were caught out at the back. Eany’s final goal came when the Lagan keeper and a defender got in each others way and Barry Rose converted.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Cappry Rovers 2

A Kelly (14), P McNulty (44)

Curragh Athletic 4

S Barclay (23 pen), D O’Brien (25), M Doherty (41), E Moore (89)

Curragh Athletic leap-frogged Cappry Rovers into third place in the league table when they went away with the three points in the 4- 2 win in Cappry Park.

The hosts opened the strongest and Aaron Kelly flicked on a cross from Patrick Mc Nulty to open the scoring. Curragh got back on level terms when a penalty was scored by Shane Barclay and got ahead when Dan O’Brien won the ball and he outpaced the Cappry defence to slide the ball past the advancing keeper Gareth Patton to score.

Mark Doherty made it 3-1 but Cappry got a goal back when Patrick McNulty headed to the roof of the net following a corner. Curragh got their fourth goal with Cappry pushing forward they were caught with a long ball which Eddie Moore won and he scored with a low shot to the bottom of the net.

Rathmullan Celtic 3

D Patton (48), E Sheridan (55), D Creevy (70)

Dunlewey Celtic 0

Rathmullan defeated Dunlewey by three goals to nil at the Flag Pole Field thereby extending their lead at the top of the First Division as second placed St. Catherines were not in action at the weekend.

Despite the apparently clear cut nature of the result as suggested by the scoreline the home side didn’t have things all their own way and Dunlewy made them earn their three points with some resolute defending. However, second half goals from Dara Patton, Eamonn Sheridan and Dean Creevy meant for a good start to 2012.

CT Ball Division Two

Ballybofey United 3

K Melaugh (1), A Bonar (25), M Lynch (40)

Bonagee United 0

League leaders Ballybofey United did all the hard work in the first half of this match and had ran up a three goal advantage by the half-time whistle.

The home side wasted no time and were in front in the first minute went Kevin Melaugh opened the scoring. On 25 minutes Andrew Bonar extender the lead and with five minutes of the half remaining Michael Lynch completed the scoring. The second half was a matter of both sides going through the motions as the result was already decided.

Copany Rovers 1

D Graham (21)

Cranford United 1

D McBride (46)

Promotion chasing Cranford were held to a 1-1 draw by Copany at the Lakeside Centre in Ballyshannon on Sunday afternoon. Copany took the lead on 21 minutes when David Graham found his way behind the Cranford defence and fired a deflected effort past the Cranford stopper. The away team equalised right at the start of the second period when Danny McBride robbed a Copany defender and put the ball past Gary Ward on 46 minutes.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Fintown Harps 1

JP Breslin (25)

Deele Harps 0

A single goal was enough for Fintown Harps to get the three points against Deele Harps at Pairc Acla.

Both teams were evenly matched in this game with scoring opportunities created by both sides but neither able to find the net. It was Fintown’s JP Breslin who put the home side a goal up on the 25th minute of the first half when he rattled the net by converting a cross from Daragh Gallagher. Deele then nearly got an equaliser from a free kick, but great work by Thompson in the home goal denied Deele.

The second half was much the same with Fintown’s Daragh, Stephen and Aaron all coming close to getting a second for Fintown but it wasn’t to be. Deele pushed hard in the second half to get the equaliser their best chance hitting the crossbar.

Downtown Cup Group A

Glenea United 4

S McBride (35, 89), B Mulhern (44), S Coll (50)

Glencar Celtic 2

S Holian (47), D Scanlon (83)

Glenea United and Glencar Celtic put on a good show of football despite the wintery conditions with the home team coming through in the end.

They took the lead when Sean McBride reacted quickest to a long throw-in, turned and fired home from a tight angle. Glenea extended their advantage when Brendan Mulhern beat the offside trap and he chipped the ball over the advancing ‘keeper.

Glencar started the second half strongly and pulled a goal back Sean Hollihan was on hand to score from close range after Declan Scanlon’s initial shot had come back off the post. Glenea regained their two-goal cushion when Shane Coll’s free kick was curled into the far corner. Glencar pushed hard to reduce the arrears and were rewarded on 83 minutes when Scanlon scored with a curling effort from the corner of the penalty area.

Glencar pushed for parity but left themselves open in defence and were punished in the final minute when Glenea broke and McBride was on hand to make it 4-2.

Downtown Cup Group B

Dunfanaghy Town 1

J McMullen (65)

Castlefin Celtic 0

The newly re-laid Kill pitch played host to Dunfanaghy Town’s one-goal win over Castlefin Celtic.

The second half started the same as the first with little passing done and instead the ball ping ponged from one side of the pitch to the other.

Dunfanaghy took the lead on the 65th minute when sub Ronan McElhinney crossed expertly to James McMullen who side footed the ball just over the line despite the best efforts of the Castlefin keeper.