Kilcar wake up in second half

It took a good half-time team talk to get Kilcar going in the first leg of this preliminary round of the Donegal senior championship in Towney.

It took a good half-time team talk to get Kilcar going in the first leg of this preliminary round of the Donegal senior championship in Towney.

Kilcar 2-11

Malin 0-6

Report: Tom Comack

Photos: Conor McGonagle

There was plenty of concern for the home support as Malin were much the better side in the opening half and led by 4-3 at the break. But two goals in the space of seven minutes by the 45th minute turned the game on its head.

Malin were really up for the game at the start even though they were without midfielder Anthony Kelly, who picked up an injury at training on Wednesday night.

Kilcar, without the injured Patrick ‘Cricket’ Gallagher were four points down after 18 minutes even though they had the advantage of the breeze.

Dan McDaid had the first Malin point after a minute when he pounced after a mix up in the Kilcar defence.

Six minutes later he took a quick free from Matthew Byrne to turn his marker and knock over from close range and Matthew Byrne made it three when he pointed a 40m free into the stiff breeze.

Kilcar came more into the game after this but bad wides from Patrick McBrearty, Glen McBrearty and Michael Hegarty were punished when Paul McLaughlin got on end of a good move and good work by Matthew Byrne to knock over the fourth point on 18 minutes.

This forced Kilcar to ring the changes with Eoin McHugh replacing Conor McShane and Ryan McHugh taking over marking duties on Matthew Byrne.

Kilcar finally got on the scoreboard on 23 minutes when Patrick McBrearty went deep and fired over and he added a second four minutes later.

With Michael Hegarty and Mark McHugh now getting to grips at midfield and Ciaran McGinley running at Malin, McBrearty reduced the margin to the minimum on 29 minutes and leave just a point between the sides at the break - Kilcar 0-3, Malin 0-4.

Patrick McBrearty had Kilcar ahead for the first time shortly after the resumption, while Matthew Byrne levelled matters with a long range effort.

Then came the first goal as Barry Doherty made the opening along the endline and when the ball broke to Ashley Carr, he fired home.

Two more McBrearty frees pushed Kilcar clear and their supporters were able to relax even more when Barry Doherty fired home the second goal on 45 minutes.

With the game over as a contest Ryan McHugh (free) and Ashley Carr added points with seven minutes left followed by another McBrearty free.

Brendan McLaughlin had Malin’s only other point of the half and it was fitting that Patrick McBrearty brought the curtain down on the scoring. Ashley Carr also brought a great save from Mullarkey in the Malin goal late in the contest.

Scorers - Kilcar: Patrick McBrearty 0-9,5f; Ashley Carr 1-1; Barry Doherty 1-0; Ryan McHugh 0-1,f.

Malin: Dan McDaid , Matthew Byrne 0-2 each. Paul McLaughlin, Brendan McLaughlin 0-1 each.

Kilcar: E McGinley; L Carr, B Shovlin, P Carr; R McHugh, C McShane, N Hegarty; M McHugh, M Hegarty; C McGinley, M Sweeney, G McBrearty; A Carr, P McBrearty, B Doherty. Sub., E McHugh for C McShane 18.

Malin: D Mullarkey; J McLaughlin (C), D Harkin, C Byrne; G Farren, C Farren, J McLaughlin; D Walsh, P Kelly; D McDaid, M Byrne, Patrick McColgan; Paul McColgan, T Doherty, M Byrne. Subs., B McLaughlin for J McLaughlin 43; S Doherty for McDaid 56.

Referee: I Molloy (N Conaill)

Man of match

While there were few outstanding individual performances, the award goes to Patrick McBrearty for his fine tally of 0-9, many of them excellent scores.

Turning point

The big turning point in the game was the first Kilcar goal from Ashley Carr. The corner-forward fired home on 38 minutes and from there on, the home side always looked comfortable.

Ref watch

Referee Ian Molloy was a little fussy at times and got one or two calls wrong. But overall, he was not a major factor on the game.