Erne grab draw from the fire at Castlefin

ERNE WANDERERS came from two goals down to grab a draw at Castlefin Celtic in the Willie Duffy Saturday Division One but it’s still Gweedore Celtic in front.

ERNE WANDERERS came from two goals down to grab a draw at Castlefin Celtic in the Willie Duffy Saturday Division One but it’s still Gweedore Celtic in front.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Castlefin Celtic Res 2

S McGlinchey 18; M Curran 20

Erne Wanderers 2

E Cleary 42; 88

A point apiece wasn’t really of use to either side at Parkview as Castlefin Celtic drew with Erne Wanderers but the visitors went home happier on the day.

A James McMenamin corner was met at the back post by Simon McGlinchey with a well placed header to give Castlefin the lead. Good work from Jason Curran put Brian Dooher through and his cross was met by Marcus Curran who put the ball into the net for Castlefin’s second on the 20th minute. Approaching half time Eamonn Cleary latched onto a poor clearance pulling one back for Erne.In the final minutes Erne came close with an effort from Michael Ward and when it looked like the home team were going to hold out Eamonn Cleary beat the offside trap scoring at the back post.

Dunfanaghy Town 0

Gweedore Celtic Res 0

League leaders Gweedore Celtic failed to win for only the third time this season in the league but credit has to go to Dunfanaghy Town.

Gweedore started off well forcing the Dunfanaghy defence to retreat with the help of the wind to their backs. Just before the break James McMullen unluckily hit the post after doing well to wrap his foot around the ball. In the second half both teams created few chances with Danny Langan, Brendan Devine and Andrew Kelly failing to convert.

Gweedore United Res 0

Glencar Celtic 4

M Molloy 15; E Sullivan 30; P Rafferty 68, 71

Glencar Celtic cut the gap at the top on Gweedore Celtic to five points with a routine win away to Gweedore United at Carrickboyle.

Gavin McBride was the stand-in goalkeeper for the home team and Mickey Molloy scored from close range to make it 1-0 before Eugene Sullivan added a second. In the second half Glencar dominated possession and got their third goal when Patrick Rafferty hit an excellent shot from just inside the 18-yard box leaving the McBride with no chance and the frontman scored his second of the game soon afterwards.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Fintown Harps AFC 6

B Deleney 5, 30, 56; J Molloy 12, D Gallagher 43, 80

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Gavin 10

Fintown Harps moved level on points with Ramelton Mariners at the top of the table thanks to a 6-1 hammering of Tullyvinney Rovers.

Fintown took the lead when Brian Delaney slotted home. Tullyvinney levelled when Gavin was on the mark, but John Molloy had a strike at goal from 25 yards to rattle the net. Then, Brian Delaney put Fintown further into the lead from a corner put in by Stephen Molloy. Daragh Gallagher scored before the break. Raymond Mc Menamin had a pop at goal from outside the box, unluckily for the keeper he fumbled the shot and Delaney slotted it into the net collecting his hat-trick for the day. Gallagher scored again with 10 minutes left.

Cranford United Res 3

J Gallagher 20, J Wilhare 69, D Smith 85

Deele Harps 6

S Gallagher 35, 82, 87 A Sweeney 80, 88; P Colhoun 84

There were goals aplenty in the clash between Cranford United and Deele Harps but it was the away team that went home the happiest, especially hat-trick hero Shane Gallagher.

Cranford then took the lead when Joe Gallagher finished well with a header from a good corner from Johnny Wilhare before Deele equalised from the penalty spot through Shane Gallagher. The second half was another open affair and Cranford regained the lead with a great free kick through Johnny Wilhare. However, they threw away the game with 10 minutes remaining by conceding five goals. Aidy Sweeney equalised for Deele with a strike from the edge of the box. Then Deele got two quick goals through Shane Gallagher and Paul Colhoun. Cranford pulled one back with a great strike from Declan Smith. Deele then got two more quick goals through Shane Gallagher and Aidy Sweeney.

Downtown United 1

S Doherty pen 85

Donegal Town Res 0

Downtown United collected all three points in a scrappy affair against Donegal Town at Errigal College.

After a scoreless first half, the second continued much the same with Downtown going close through Paul Burke as his header at the back post went narrowly wide and a shot from Eddie Blake skimmed the crossbar. With the game looking like a draw Downtown where awarded a penalty and Stephen Doherty stepped up to dispatch the penalty.

Downtown Cup Group B

Glenree United 1

J McClafferty 30

Milford United 1

C Blaney 60

Glenree United and their neighbours Milford shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

The deadlock was broken when Robert Moore swung in a corner kick which John McClafferty rose highest at the back post to head past the keeper. The home defence was eventually beaten in the when Ciaran Blaney ran onto the ball and chipped it over the keeper to make it 1-1. Glenree almost re-took the lead when Owen McLaughlin unleashed a venomous volley which scrapped the crossbar.

Downtown Cup Group C

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 3

A Doherty 29

Mulroy Celtic 1]

S Sweeney 59, M McLaughlin 73, K McMenamin 80

With both sides already assured of their progression to the last eight of the Downtown Cup it was Kilmacrennan Celtic who guaranteed themselves a home quarter-final.

The opening goal arrived when Michael McLaughlin fired a cross into the Mulroy penalty area where Gary Gorman jumped highest only to see his header come off the upright and the quickest to respond was Adrian Doherty. Seamus Sweeney rifled the ball past Mark Gallagher in goal for a well deserved equaliser. McLaughlin nipped in for 2-1 and then Kevin Menamin intercepted a Mulroy attack in midfield and the tricky forward went on a mazy run beating three players before beating the keeper.