Weather disrupts weekend soccer

The frontrunners in the Donegal League Premier and First Division were in Ulster Junior Cup action on a weekend of poor weather in the northwest.

The frontrunners in the Donegal League Premier and First Division were in Ulster Junior Cup action on a weekend of poor weather in the northwest.

Brian McCormick Sports

Premier Division

Dunkineely Celtic 3

A Nesbitt (51), A Ward (85)

Drumoghill FC 2

L O’Donnell (40), T Shiels (75)

Dunkineely earned three valuable points thanks to Andrew Mackey’s last minute winner in their fight against relegation in a hardfought encounter at Darney Park against Drumoghill.

The visitors took the lead when a free from out on the left was headed home by Liam O Donnell at the back post. Dunkineely got the equaliser when Adrian Nesbitt scored from close range. Drumoghill took the lead on when a shot from Terence Shiels found its way to the corner of the net.

Dunkineely threw everything into attack to try and salvage the game and equalised when Adrian Ward got on to an Mackey throughball and finished well from 12 yards. Both teams had a player sent off late on. Dunkineely got the winner three minutes into added time when Adrian Ward turned provider for Mackey.

Eany Celtic 0

Kilmacrennan Celtic 3

P Buchanan (2, 90), T Burke (12)

The title is perhaps out of their reach but Kilmacrennan Celtic posted a useful away win against Eany Celtic.

The visitors hit the lead on their first attack when Philip Buchanan hitting the net from close range. Eany were hit again on 12 minutes when Timmy Burke fired home from the edge of the box.

Shane McHugh hit the crossbar for Eany from a free kick with 15 left before Kevin McMenamin turned provider for Buchanan to slide in at the back post with the game in injury time.

Ulster Junior Cup

Rathmullan Celtic 3

A McClaffety

Glengad United 1

P McConigley

High-flying Rathmullan Celtic progress to the quarter finals of the Ulster Junior Cup after extra-time against Glengad thanks to a brace from talisman Eamonn Sheridan. Aaron McClafferty’s first half headed goal, following a fine cross from Sheridan and a headed pass from Seanie Barrett, set the Celts on course but with minutes remaining Glengad responded with a Paul McConigley strike that sent the tie into extra time. The Seasiders were reduced to 10 men when man of the match Paddy Sheridan was sent off after a tussle with Pat Doherty.

In extra-time. Eamonn Sheridan turned well and unleashed a chip to put his side 2-1 up. The centre forward added a 103rd minute header to seal the deal.

St Catherine’s 1

C Smith (40 pen)

Culdaff FC 2

M Coyle (49), O’Brien (59 pen)

St Catherine’s were knocked out of the Ulster Cup by Culdaff FC at Emeral Park on Sunday. 

Five minutes before the break the Saints were awarded a penalty when Conor O Rourke was fouled in the box and Charles Smith stepped up and cooly sent the Culdaff keeper the wrong way. 

Culdaff upped the tempo considerable in the second period and got back on terms after Conor O’ Brien’s cross was swept home by Michael Coyle from 10 yards.

Ten minutes later they took the led when O’Brien expertly converted a penalty awarded after Brendan McLaughlin had been upended in the area.

Quigley’s Point Swifts 2

R Buchanan (18), G McLaughlin (21 pen)

Gweedore Celtic 4

C Ferry (30, 87), O MacNiallais (35), C McFadden (55)

Gweedore Celtic had to do it the hard way as they came from two down to defeat Quigley’s Point Swifts.

The home side broke the deadlock on 18 minutes when Raymond Buchanan broke through and when his effort rebounded off the post he poked the ball home in the ensuing scramble. They were two ahead after Gerard McLaughlin tucked a penalty into the bottom corner.

Gweedore got a goal back on the half hour when Colin Ferry advanced and saw his shot deflect in. Five minutes later they got back on terms when Odhran McNelis speculative 20 yards effort crept into the top corner despite Lynch getting a hand to it.

Gweedore completed the turnaround on 55 mintes when they took the lead after Eamonn Cannon saw his effort blocked but the rebound fell to Ciaran McFadden, who drove the loose ball home. McFadden’s second of the day finished it off.

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

K O’Brien (85)

Erne Wanderers 0

Erne Wanderers’ hearts were broken against Clonmany Shamrocks when Karl O’Brien scored the only goal of the game five minutes from time.

After a scoreless first half, the Inishowen League side finally broke the deadlock on 85 minutes when O’Brien failed to collect a through ball which held up in the rain soaked pitch and Harkin advanced to fire to the unguarded net.

Glencar Inn Division Two

Donegal Town Res 1

R Earley (55)

Fintown Harps 0

One goal was all it took for Donegal Town to get the better of Fintown Harps at the Hosptial Field on Saturday.

It was a magnificent strike from Donegal’s Ryan Earley which turned out to be the match winner. Barry Kemp pulled the ball back from the right hand side and Earley sent a curling effort into the top corner from outside the area. Fintown tried in vain to get back on level terms and created a few opportunities the best of which fell to Darragh Gallagher but his shot was pushed onto the bar by John Leonard.

Glenea United Res 4

D Gallagher (30), E Muldowney (47), B Mulhern (49), S McBride (88)

Downtown United 0

Conditons were far from ideal but Glenea United would have been more than content with their afternoon’s work on Saturday against Glenea United.

Dean Gallagher opened the scoring when he headed home a Martin Doohan corner. Edward Muldowney got the second goal before Ciaran O’ Brien played a through ball for Brendan Mulhern and he slotted the ball home number three. Sean McBride took advantage of a defensive mix up to roll the ball home for the fourth goal.

Glenree United Res 0

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

M Alexander (85)

A late goal at Glenree Park gave Tullyvinney the three points on Saturday against Glenree United.

The home side were left flabbergasted when a pass in the Tullyvinney half was well intercepted and Liam Harvey was put through one on one with the keeper only to be well tackled. However, the ball came back to him and he held the ball up well to send a pass through to Martin Alexander and he calmly shot past the player on the line.