Keadue stay on course

THE top two in the Donegal League Pemier Division won, while CT Ball Division Two frontrunners Keadue Rovers had too much for Drumbar United.

THE top two in the Donegal League Pemier Division won, while CT Ball Division Two frontrunners Keadue Rovers had too much for Drumbar United.

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division

Gweedore Celtic 5

D Sullivan (10), F Diver (30, 80), G Whoriskey (31), E Cannon (53)

Lagan Harps 0 Gweedore Celtic remain unbeaten and on their way to a second successive Premier Division after hammering Lagan Harps on Sunday. 

The home side opened the scoring through Damian Sullivan.  Fionnan Diver increased the lead on when he headed home from a corner. Good interplay between Tomas Diver and Gary Whoriskey ended with the latter running in to register the third goal. 

Eight minutes into the second half a shot from Eamon Cannon from thirty yards ended in the corner of the net.  The scoring was completed when Fionnan Diver slotted home from close range.

Glenea United 1

B Cuffe (72)

Eany Celtic 0

Second-placed Glenea kept up their challenge for league honours with a well earned victory over Eany Celtic.

They finally took the lead on 72 minutes when Ryan McFadden contested the ball with the keeper and the ball broke to Brian Cuffe and he rolled the ball into the net from the edge of the box.

Eany pushed hard for an equaliser and almost got one on 87 minutes when Eddie Gallagher got into the box but his strike was well saved by Sean Mc Clafferty.

Drumoghill 2

S O’Donnell (26), L O’Donnell (70)

Castlefin Celtic 0

Drumoghill’s quest for survival was boosted significantly with this vital win over neighbours Castlefin Celtic at The Moss.

The lead had been given after a start to the game in which both sides had cancelled each other out. Colin Watson was the architect down the right hand side and his exchange of passes with Carlos Rodgers sent O’Donnell clear on goal and the striker hammered home.

The goal though triggered a period of dominance for Castlefin with Barry Tourish, Emmet White and Cormac O’Brien all dominant in midfield. However, for all their possession, they struggled to create any chances of note as Richard Tinney and Callaghan were dominant forces in defence for the reds.

The pattern of Castlefin superiority continued into the second half and it was somewhat on the break that Liam O’Donnell raced onto Shane McIntyre’s long ball to drive past Lafferty to double the scores.

Lifford Celtic 4

M Carlin (25), D Patton (30, 70), R Porter (56)

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

E Doherty (10), K McMenamin (89)

Bottom of the table Lifford Celtic gave their survival hopes a boost when they defeated Kilmacrennan Celtic 4-2.

The away team took the lead with a goal from Eddie Doherty after a goal mouth scramble. Lifford started to grow into the game after the Kilmacrennan goal and got their reward with a goal from Matthew Carlin. Lifford’s tails were up after the goal and got another on 30 minutes with a great finish from Damien Patton.

When the teams came out for the second half Lifford were the brighter and scored another goal with a great finish into the bottom left corner from Ross Porter. Lifford never took their foot of the gas and on 70minutes scored their fourth with a cool finish from Patton. Kilmacrennan got a goal back in the last minute with a goal from Kevin McMenamin.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Cappry Rovers 7

A Kelly (14, 29), K Lafferty (27, 32, 81), L Gallagher (32), L Herron (48)

Arranmore United 1

M Ward (80)

Cappry Rovers had an impressive victory over Arranmore United on Sunday at a very heavy Cappry Park with Kyle Lafferty scoring a hat-trick.

The home team started well and it was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken after Kevin McGlynn won the ball and his low cross was met by Aaron Kelly. Cappry got their second whenLafferty blasted the ball to the top of the net. Kelly got his second when Lafferty laid off the ball for him to score in the empty net after rounding the keeper. Cappry’s fourth goal came when once again Kelly and Lafferty combined for Lafferty to score his second. Leo Gallagher got the fifth with a low shot to the bottom of the net following a corner. Cappry scored again when Lee Herron scored with a header following a corner and Lafferty got his third nine minutes from time. Arranmore got a consolation when Mark Ward beat the Cappry defence to shoot home.

CT Ball Division Two

Keadue Rovers 4

S Boyle (12, 70), D Boyle (16, 40)

Drumbar United 1

A Cassidy (33)

Keadue Rovers maintained their fine run of results and remain top of the table after this win over Drumbar at Central Park.

A Sean Bonner cross from the left was met with a close range header from Sean Boyle for the opening goal. Only four minutes after this it was two when an Adrian Sweeney cross was well headed home by Doalty Boyle. As the half went on Drumbar started to get a bit better possession and they were rewarded for this when a loose ball was picked up in midfield and Aidan Cassidy hit a really good effort into the top corner.

Keadue regained control after this and had a good ten minute spell before half time. Following a good run by Sean Bonner his ball was laid off to Boyle who fired home from close range. The fourth goal arrived on the hour when Doalty Boyle’s good work fed Sean Boyle who side-footed in from close range.

Bonagee United 0

Ballybofey United 2

M Lynch (70), O Merritt (83)

Two late goals for Ballybofey United at Dry Arch Park against Bonagee United were enough to keep their promotion hopes alive.

The third placed side took the lead on when Michael Lynch received the ball from Oisin Merritt and he hammered the ball to the roof of the net from the edge of the box. Ballybofey got their second on eighty three minutes when a long ball out of defence fell to Oisin Merritt and he chipped the advancing keeper from 20 yards.


Glenree United 1

D Coyle (55)

Kerrykeel 71 1

J Burke (1)

It was all talk about the big derby game coming to Glenree Park this week and it didn’t disappoint as it finished one apiece The mutual respect from both teams made it a great game and it Kerrykeel who drew first blood on 45 seconds when they registered at the near post with Jerome Burkre scoring. The second half started brightly as it was all or nothing from the men in red and they were rewarded on 55 minutes when Damien Coyle hit the perfect free-kick to even up the scoreline.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Glenea United Res 2

K McFadden (28), S McBride (75)

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Own goal (65)

Glenea added three more points to their promotion challenge with this hard earned victory over Tullyvinney.

Kevin McFadden got on the end of a Martin Doohan corner and he drove the ball into the net to give the home side the lead. Glenea started the second half well and continued to put pressure on Tullyvinney but were again guilty of missing a number of good chances and were made to pay on 62 minutes when a cross from the Tullyvinney right deflected into the net off a home defender. Glenea pushed for a lead goal and finally got it on 75 minutes when Sean McBride turned home a Martin Doohan cross from the right.

Downtown Cup Group A

Deele Harps 2

P Martin (30), C Catterson (70)

Erne Wanderers 2

M Ward (44, 65)

Four goals were shard between Deele Harps and their Saturday opponents Erne Wanderers.

A quality delivery from Aidy Gallagher was met perfectly by Paul Martin who rose highest to power home a great header. On the stroke of half time Erne equalised against the run of play, Michael Ward firing home from 16 yards following a poor clearance.In the second half, a Deele corner was cleared and  Erne raced clear and following a couple of kind deflections,  Ward made no mistake when he fired home from close range to give Erne a shock lead.  Deele rallied again and equalised as  Conor Catterson rifled home from the edge of the area.

Glencar Celtic 1

E Sullivan (90)

Ramelton Mariners 1

P Gallagher (91)

Glencar Celtic and Ramelton Mariners saved all the drama till the bitter end in Rathmullan.

The deadlock was broken in the 90th minute when a clearance by the Mariners defence fell to Eugene Sullivan on the edge of the box and he scored with a brilliant volley to the roof of the net.

Glencar thought the game was over but Mariners had other ideas. Three minutes into stoppage time a good break down the field by Alan Blaney and cross into the box saw Paul Gallagher head the equaliser.

Downtown Cup Group B

Dunfanaghy Town 2

D Nelis (48), J Henry (90)

Glenree United Res 0

Dunfanaghy finally got their first win of the new year as they won a hard fought contest against their local rivals.

The home team took the lead from a corner when Damien Nelis looped his header perfectly over the Glenree keeper into the net. Glenree pushed for an equaliser but Dunfanaghy sealed the win when great closing down from John Mc Fadden allowed him to cross the ball to James Henry to tap into the net.