Gweedore Celtic, Lagan and Milford through in Junior Cup

The Donegal League will be represented by Gweedore Celtic, Lagan Harps and Milford United in the next round of the FAI Junior Cup after the three Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division teams came through their ties on Sunday.

The Donegal League will be represented by Gweedore Celtic, Lagan Harps and Milford United in the next round of the FAI Junior Cup after the three Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division teams came through their ties on Sunday.

Gweedore Celtic, the league champions, will travel to take on Carrick United in Waterford, while Lagan face Dubliners Trinity Corinthians and Milford now play at home to Castlerea Celtic from Roscommon.

Gweedore Celtic 4

O MacNiallais (30, 47), F Diver (49), T Diver (80)

Castlefin Celtic 2

D McAnenney (42), M Lafferty (44)

Gweedore Celtic overcame a dogged Castlefin side to move to the next round of the Junior Cup. The home team took the lead when Odhran Mac Niallais, turned and fired through the legs of the away keeper to the corner of the net. Three minutes before half time a Damien Mc Anenney strike levelled the score. Two minutes later the Gweedore defence could not defend their lines and Mark Lafferty tapped the ball home at half-time the away team was two goals to one up. Gweeodre were back level when Odhran Mac Niallais found the net from 20 yards. Two minutes later a Mac Niallais corner was headed home by Fionan Diver. Tomas Diver made it four.

Kerrykeel 71 1

T Alcorn (25)

Lagan Harps 3

O McMenamin (30, 60), C Toner (48) Lagan Harps progressed to the national stages of the FAI Junior Cup with a win over Kerrykeel 71. 

The visitors went ahead when Cathal Martin played in Trevor Alcorn and the wee man cooly lobbed the ball over the advancing Damien McFadden. Lagan hit back five minutes later and levelled when Oisin McMenamin beat the offside trap and finished well.  Lagan went in front on forty eight minutes when Chris Toner broke clear on the right wing and hammered the ball into the bottom corner.  They got their killer third goal on sixty minutes when man of the match McMenamin got on the end of a Toner ball and found the bottom corner.   

Milford United 3

C Bradley (23, 95) C Doogan (92)

Quigleys PS 2

(after extra-time)

P McFadden (90, 110)

Milford progressed to the national stages of the FAI Junior Cup with a hard fought win in Rathmullan against Quigley’s Point Swifts.

A first half goal from Chris Bradley looked to be enough to see Milford progress but QPS were awarded a penalty in the last minute. Caolan McGettigan pulled off a fine save from the spot kick only to see Paddy McFadden score from the rebound. Milford flew out of the traps in extra time and scored twice through Karol Duggan from a corner and Chris Bradley following great work from Ciaran McGinley. The Point pulled a goal back in the last minute but it was merely a consolation. Milford would like to thank our near neighbours Rathmullan for the use of their facilities. Milford now play at home to Castlerea Celtic from Roscommon next Sunday at 1.30 at Moyle View Park, Milford.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Cappry Rovers 6

B McLaughlin (2, 29), M Martin (37), A Kelly (51), B Lafferty (69, 89)

Dunlewey Celtic 2

P Cannon (27), J Sheehy (44)

Cappry Rovers kept up their push for promotion when they disposed of visitors Dunlewey Celtic by six goals to two at Cappry Park.

The home team opened when the Dunlewey keeper failed to hold the ball and Brendan McLaughlin was first to the ball to score. Dunlewey got on level terms when Paddy Cannon scored from close range following a free kick. Cappry got their noses in front again when McLaughlin scored with a low shot to the bottom corner. Malachy Martin scored Cappry’s third goal. Dunlewey got a goal back when Joe Sheehy scored from a corner when his shot hit the post and went into the net. Cappry put the pressure on the visitors and they got their fourth when Aaron Kelly won the ball outpaced the Dunlewey defence. Substitute Kyle Lafferty added two late goals.

Convoy Arsenal 1

S Sweeney (50, 80)

Raphoe Town 2

J Sweeney (35)

Raphoe Town came away with the spoils in their derby clash against Convoy Arsenal with John Sweeney scoring a brace.

In the first half both teams created decent chances before Raphoe took the lead on 35 minutes when Sweeney volleyed through a crowded box when the home team failed to clear a corner. In the second half Convoy started the brighter and deservedly got their equaliser when Sean Sweeney looped a shot into the top corner. As Convoy maintained this pressure it eventually took its toll on the home players legs and Raphoe came more into the game. Raphoe then got their winner when Sweeney scrambled the ball over the line when Convoy again failed to clear their lines.

Curragh Athletic FC 2

S Barclay (43 pen), 72

Donegal Town FC 1

D Brown (81)

This fixture was reversed to Donegal Town and Curragh earned a well deserved victory with Shane Barclay netting another brace for the Finn Valley team.

His first arrived from the penalty spot after Conor McNulty had been fouled in the box and he made it two when he scored from close range after good work from McNulty and Lafferty. Donegal Town did manage to pull a goal back on eighty one minutes when a Declan Brown cross ended up in the net. For the last ten minutes, it was frantic at times with Curragh almost sealing the game with a third on at least two occasions, but the nearest effort came from Donegal Town when Kevin Deveney drilled a great shot which came back off the upright.

Gweedore United 0

Rathmullan Celtic 1

E Sheridan (78)

 The whole table separates Gweedore United and Rathmullan Celtic but the league leaders were glad to come through on Sunday by a single goal.

 Both sides played more good football with defences coming out on top. The deadlock was broken in the 78th minute when Eoin Sheridan drove an excellent shot from 25 yards into the United net leaving Cathal Gillespie with no chance. The home side, on top for the majority match, had opportunities to equalise from Kevin Cassidy and Sean Paul Mc Mahon, however Dennis Sheridan did well in goal for Rathmullan.

FAI Junior Cup.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Castlefin Celtic Res 0

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 4

K McMenamin (6, 60 pen), T Burke (16), D McGinley (80)

In a very one sided affair played in bitterly cold conditions in Parkview Castlefin, the visitors ran out easy winners by four goals to nil.

With only six minutes on the clock Kevin McMenamin ran through a very lacklustre Castlefin defence and calmly slotted the ball home to open the scoring. McMenamin was involved again setting up Timmy Burke to make it two.

The second half was more of the same with the visitors totally dominating the game which was over as a contest 15 minutes into the second half when McMenamin doubled his tally from the penalty spot. Darren McGinley sealed the victory for the visitors with a well taken goal after beating the offside trap.

Gweedore Celtic Res 1

D Curran (35)

Glencar Celtic 0

A single goal from Danny Curran against Glencar Celtic was enough for Gweedore Celtic to maintain their lead at the top of the standings.

The breakthrough came on 35 minutes when Cathal Campbell was taken down in the Glencar half. James Carroll took the free kick and delivered to the penalty box where Danny Curran scored from an acute

angle to make it one nil to the home side.

In the second Glencar came more into the game and created numerous chances but couldn’t score with Christopher Sweeney outstanding in the Gweedore goals. As the half went on Glencar were pushing hard for the equaliser but the home side stood firm with Padraig Mc Garvey doing outstanding defending.

Gweedore United 1

R McFadden (70 pen)

Dunfanaghy Town 1

J McMullin (30)

This game played in poor weather conditions at Carrickboyle saw both teams make the most of the poor weather to come away with a share of the spoils.

Dunfanaghy broke the deadlock when a defensive error fell to James Mc Mullin, who drove past Keller from 10 yards to make it 1-0. Chances were few and far between and it remained that way until half time. The home side got their equaliser in the 70th minute when Ryan Mc Fadden was pulled down in the Dunfanaghy 18-yard box and a penalty was awarded. Mc Fadden scored the resulting spot kick.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Glenea United Res 4

E Muldowney (37, 70), M Doohan (43), M Maguire (80)

Cranford United Res 0

Glenea reserves kept up their good form at home with a well earned victory over Cranford.

Glenea started to get on top and were rewarded when Martin Maguire headed on a Shane Coll pass and Edward Muldowney was on hand to take the ball around the keeper and slot home. Glenea extended their lead when Tommy Rodgers made a good run from deep and he slid the ball through for Martin Doohan who slotted it past the keeper.

In the second half Glenea kept control of the game but were unable finish some of their chances until

the 70th minute when Muldowney got onto a through ball from Rodgers and he lifted the ball over the advancing keeper and into the net. Glenea got their fourth goal on 80 minutes when Martin Maguire finished well after being played in by Muldowney.

Glenree United Res 2

M Buchannan (33), D Doherty (55)

Donegal Town Res 3

S O’Donnell (35, 75)

Donegal Town got over the tough conditions and a spirited fight from Glenree United on Saturday with Stephen O’Donnell grabbing a hat-trick.

The break-through was made by the hosts when Owen Mc Laughlin crossed in a free kick which was cleverly slotted into the net by Mickey Buchannan. Unfortunately for the home side their lead didn’t last long and the away side were back level when O’Donnell saw his shot well saved by the keeper but rebound back to him to knock it into the net.

Denis Doherty calmly restored the Glenree lead on his return after a lengthy lay-off due to injury. It was a defensive mistake though which lead to the equaliser in the 75th minute as the Glenree centre back went to clear the ball but due to the dreadful conditions mis-timed the clearance only for O’ Donnell to run clear an finish well. Both teams were pushing for the winner in the last few minutes and unfortunately

for the home team it was Donegal Town that left Glenree Park with the three points after O’ Donnell got his hat-trick which was someway fortunate after his shot rebounded of a defenders foot, over the keeper and into the net.

Mulroy Celtic 4

C Talbot, JP Mailey, P Martin, M Griffin

Fintown Harps 1

D Gallagher

Mulroy Celtic continued their recent fantastic form with a convincing victory over a Fintown side who hadn’t been beaten all season.

Mulroy dominated in the swirling conditions and led 2-0 with goals from the exceptional Colin Talbot and the prolific JP Malley. With the hatches battened down after the break the Fintown onslaught never materialised and Mulroy grabbed a third when Paul Martin scored yet another free kick as he curled over the wall into the top corner.

Martin’s set pieces have become quite the weapon for Mulroy this season and his fourth goal of the season will be as important a goal as he gets. Mulroy got a deserved fourth when Mark Griffin finished superbly from the edge of the area with his weaker left foot.