Donegal League round-up

There was action aplenty in the Donegal League at the weekend as champions Gweedore Celtic were held to a 1-1 draw by neighbours Glenea United and Castlefin Celtic and Dunkineely Celtic shared the spoils.

There was action aplenty in the Donegal League at the weekend as champions Gweedore Celtic were held to a 1-1 draw by neighbours Glenea United and Castlefin Celtic and Dunkineely Celtic shared the spoils.

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division

Castlefin Celtic 1

F Heena (25)

Dunkineely Celtic 1

M O’Rourke (42)

A goal apiece in the first half made for a share of the spoils between Castlefin Celtic and Dunkineely Celtic at Parkview on Saturday.

It was Fergal Heena who broke the deadlock direct from a free-kick but Castlefin equalised in the 42nd minute after a fine effort from Barry Tourish was stopped by the Dunkineely keeper but he was powerless to stop Matthew O’Rourke from converting the rebound.

Gweedore Celtic 1

T Diver (65) 

Glenea United 1

M McClafferty (90)

The last kick of the game five minutes into injury time earned Glenea a share of the points at An Screaban.

Twenty minutes into the second half the deadlock was broken when a great crossfield ball by Eamonn McGee was taken in his stride by Tomas Diver and he blasted into the corner of the net. As the referee was looking at his watch about to blow the final whistle a long ball out of the Glenea defence was seized on by substitute Michael McClafferty and his shot ended in the back of the net off the post.

Kilmacrennan 6

M Friel (5, 12, 44), K McMenamin (30, 48), M McLaughlin (80)

Drumoghill 2

L O’Donnell (55, 88)

Kilmacrennan bounced back with a convincing 6-2 win against newly promoted Drumoghill with Mark Friel bagging a hat-trick.

The home team started brightly and were in the lead after five minutes when Mark Friel’s scuffed free-kick trickled in. Friel got on the score sheet again seven minutes later when he got onto the end of Darren Toland’s flick. Kevin McMenamin scored on the half hour mark after good work from Phil Buchannan. Friel scored his third before the break. Kilmacrennan continued to push in the second half and within three minutes McMenamin blasted home. Drumoghill to their credit, continued to push and Liam O’ Donnell twice late on, eitther side of Michael McLaughlin.

Milford Inn Division One

Gweedore United 1

C O’Donnell (40)

Arranmore United 1

G McGee (25)

This local derby played at a windy Carrickboyle saw both sides getting a share of the spoils in an entertaining encounter.

The islanders took the lead in the 25th minute when Gweedore failed to clear following a corner and Gary McGee drove home from close range to make it 1-0. The hosts got their well deserved equaliser in the 40th minute when Charlie O’Donnell drove into the top corner from close range to make it 1-1.

Donegal Town 3

R Earley (5), D McGarrigle (43) , A McFadden (60)

Convoy Arsenal 2

R Carlin (pen 20), M Mailey (83)

Donegal Town came out on top against Convoy Arsenal in an interesting league fixture played on Sunday.

Donegal got off to a great start scoring from a corner in the first five minutes with Ryan Earley getting his head to the ball from close range. A penalty from Ryan Carlin pulled Convoy level but Daniel McGarrigle put the home side back in front before the break. Donegal went further ahead after the restart when Aidan McFadden finished well inside the area. Donegal looked to have the game sewn up but a free kick seven minutes from time headed home by convoy’s Mark Mailey ensured a nervy finish.

CT Ball Division Two

Kerrykeel71 5

T McBride (47), S Callaghan (52, 81), C McGonigle (74, 88)

Glenree United 3

D Coyle (2 pen), N Doherty (90)

Kerrykeel 71 produced their best performance of the season so far with a convincing win over local rivals Glenree United thanks to five second half goals. 

It was the visitors who went in front through a Damien Coyle penalty. Kerrykeel got the deserved equaliser when Tony McBride found the bottom corner. Shaun Callaghan put his team in front. The home side got their third as Colm McGonigle headed home. Callaghan netted his second after more good play by Trevor Alcorn. McConigley got his second for the home side, this time with a brilliant finish from the tightest of angles. Glenree got a consolation goal in stoppage time when Niall Doherty fired home.

FAI Junior Cup

Ballybofey United 5

A Patton (2), C Doherty (20), B Kyle (32), C McGowan (70, 81)

Lifford Celtic 1

Ballybofey United advanced to the next round of the FAI Junior cup when they defeated Premier Division side Lifford Celtic at the Finn Valley Complex on Sunday.

They got off to the perfect start when Alan Patton scored the opener. Conor Doherty made it two when he beat two defenders before shooting past Michael Shields. Midfielder Benny Kyle then watched as his shot from25 yards flew into the top corner of the net giving Shields no chance and giving the home side a three-goal cushion. They scored two further goals through substitute Calvin McGowan.

Cappry Rovers 2

P McNulty (pen 71, 84)

Moville Celtic 1

C McLaughlin (87)

Cappry Rovers are through to the next round of theJunior Cup as they overcame Inishowen side Moville Celtic by the odd goal in three at Cappry Park.

In the seventy first minute Cappry were awarded a penalty when Dylan Ramsey was upended in the box by the keeper and Paddy Mc Nulty scored from the spot. Cappry secured their passage to the next round through good work involving a number of players which was finished by McNulty for his and Cappry’s second. Moville got a goal back when Conor McLaughlin scored from close range.

Cranford United 6

B Giles (10, 20, 65), J Gallagher (32, 44), C Shields (70)

Baile Youths 0

Cranford United had a comfortable progression in the FAI Junior Cup after a 6-0 win over Bailie Youths where Brendan Giles scored three time.

Giles scored twice in the first 20 minutes and Cranford then went three up when Joe Gallagher scored with a long range shot that beat the keeper with power. On the stroke of half-time Gallagher got his second. Cranford got the fifth goal when Brendan Giles lifted the ball over the keeper to get his hat-trick. With 10 minutes remaining Cranford got there sixth goal with a neat finish from Conor Shiels.

Curragh Athletic 2

S Barclay (18, 75)

Quigley’s Point Swifts 4

K Wallace (24), A McGlynn (33), P Grant (pen 38, 89)

Two goals from Shane Barclay were not enough for Curragh Athletic in the FAI Junior Cup as a well organised Inishowen side managed to hold on and progress to the next round.

Shane Barclay opened the scoring but within twenty minutes of the restart the home team were 3-1 down, the first from a header from Kevin Wallace, then a fine volley from Anthony McGlynn and another from the penalty spot by Paul Grant. But just when it looked all over up popped Barclay again to cleverly finish but as Curragh went in search of an equaliser another Grant penalty finished the game as a contest.