Latest from the Saturday action in the Donegal League

Erne Wanderers made light of their promotion with a seemless 6-0 win over Castlefin Celtic in Ballyshannon on Saturday.

Erne Wanderers made light of their promotion with a seemless 6-0 win over Castlefin Celtic in Ballyshannon on Saturday.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Erne Wanderers 6

R Lyons (13), D McNulty (28, 44), M Ward (60), M Stitt (75)

Castlefin Celtic Res. 0

Erne Wanderers had a comfortable afternoon in Ballyshannon in this one-sided game against Castlefin and Darren McNulty.

The breakthrough came when Ryan Lyons scored straight from a corner. The second came on 28 minutes when Celtic failed to clear a header and Darren McNulty found the bottom corner for his first of the game. A minute before the break McNulty got his second. Mc Nulty got his hat-trick a minute after the restart from edge of the box when he found the roof of the net. Ward then got his first of season. Michel Stitt completed the scoring when he raced through and he tucked the ball home under the keeper.

Glencar Celtic 4

C Greene (54), M Molloy (79), P Rafferty (88) , M Higgins (90)

Gweedore United Res 1

D McClafferty (70) Glencar Celtic claimed all three points on Saturday when three late goals defeated Gweedore United.

On 54 minutes the deadlock was broken by Ciaran Greene, who fired the ball low and hard to the bottom corner. Gweedore levelled when Danny McCafferty’s speculative drive caught Dom Friel unaware in the Glencar goal to level the match . Glencar pushed forward and their pressure told on 79 minutes when winger Mickey Molloy looped a header home and Patrick Rafferty got a deserved goal to make it three and on 88 minutes the versatile Marty Higgins popped up to make it 4-1.

Milford United Res 1

C Meakin (33)

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 4

Doherty (10, 22, 36), Gorman (77)

Kilmacrennan Celtic came away with the points thanks to a hat-trick from Adrian Doherty.

The hosts pressed Milford from the start and Doherty got his first after 10 minutes with a powerful drive to the top corner and he scored his second when given too much space in the box. Milford replied with a goal from Conor Meakin but this was quickly followed by herty’s third. Milford created several chances but were unable to finish them with Kilmacrennan sealing the win with their fourth from Gorman.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Donegal Town Res 1

C McMonagle (46)

Downtown United 1

S Doherty (22)

There was nothing to separate the plights of Donegal Town and Downtown United on Saturday.

Downtown struck first midway through the first half when Stephen Doherty latched onto a mistake in the Donegal defence to slot the ball past the keeper. After the break Donegal had the perfect response with Conor Mc Monagle smashing home an unstoppable volley from 25 yards straight from the restart.

Ramelton Mariners 1

P Durning (pen 20)

Fintown Harps 2

A Thompson (17), D Gallagher (68)

Fintown came away with a vital win in this top of the table clash in the Glencar Inn Division Two.

The away team took the lead when Aaron Thompson headed in a cross when unmarked. Mariners immediately responded in the 20th minute when they scored a penalty through Patrick Durning after a handball in the box. In the 68th minute as the Mariners were attacking Fintown broke clear and Daragh Gallagher rifled home to make it 2-1. The Mariners then received their lifeline minute when they were awarded their second penalty of the game for handball but Fintown keeper Ciaran Thompson saved from Corey McCahill.

Tullyvinney Rovers 2

R Laird (19, 70)

Glenea United Res 5 

M Patton (47), B Mulhern (50), G McGuire (52), S McBride (55), J Ferry (82)

Five away goals in the second half at Tullyvinney Rovers helped Glenea United’s second string to a fine 5-2 win.

Tullyvinney opened the scoring when Reece Laird and the score at half time was 1-0. In the first 10 minutes of the second half the game changed dramatically as Tullyvinney scored four goals. Defensive errors by the home team proved costly for all of the four goals in which Martin Patton, Brendan Mulhern, Gerald McGuire and Sean McBride scored for Glenea. Eventually Tullyvinney registered their second goal when Reece Laird slotted home. Glenea registered their fifth goal when James Ferry rounded up the scoring.