Ardara move to top of All-County League

Ardara pipped Dungloe by a point to move to the top of the All-County League as things gets tight at the op. In Division Two, Kilcar continued their excellent form to move five points clear.

Ardara pipped Dungloe by a point to move to the top of the All-County League as things gets tight at the op. In Division Two, Kilcar continued their excellent form to move five points clear.

All-County League Division One

Ardara 1-10

Dungloe 0-11

Report: Frank Craig

Ardara hung on in against a determined Dungloe on Saturday night to just about edge over the line at Pearse Memorial Park and take the spoils.

Despite holding the upper hand for most of the first half, Ardara only had a goal to spare over Declan Bonner’s charges at the interval, after the visitors banged over two late scores before the whistle to take them right back into contention.

Ardara exploded out of the blocks early on and raced into a 1-4 to 0-1 advantage by the quarter hour mark after Adrian Sweeney had initially given Dungloe the early lead.

Patrick ‘Larry’ Gallagher’s men equalised though a Stephen McHugh free before Martin Shovlin and Stephen Gildea (free) pushed their side out to a two-point lead on 12 minutes. Things got even better for the hosts a minute later when they swept the entire length of the field for a truly excellent team goal.

Declan Gavigan got the move under way with an excellent interception before offloading to Kenneth Doherty; Doherty fed Kevin Byrne who in turn found Kieran Breslin on the overlap; Breslin then showed a clean pair of heels before flicking inside to the waiting Gildea and the crafty inside forward made no mistake with a superb finish to the back of the net.

Sensing that his side was in real trouble, Bonner threw on James Boyle and Michael Connolly to try and reverse his side’s fortunes – and the changes seemed to have the desired affect.

Adrian Sweeney cut the deficit back to five with his second of the contest with a free before adding another soon after, and from similar distance. Ardara replied in good fashion when Gildea grabbed his second point of the contest after Jimmy O’Connell broke well around the middle.

At 1-5 to 0-3 in front with just 90 seconds remaining until the interval, Ardara let their guard down and allowed Paul McGarvey and Noel McBride in to point. Indeed, McBride actually found Declan Gallagher’s goal on his radar but screwed over the bar and had to settle for the lessor consolation of just a point.

Half-time: Ardara 1-5, Dungloe 0-5.

Dungloe got the second-half proceedings under way in determined fashion and reduced the margin to just a single point after Sweeney and Gerard Walsh cleared the crossbar. However, replies from McHugh (free) and a sublime effort from substitute Francis Diver, restored his side’s three-point cushion. Mark Sweeney and McHugh then traded scores before ‘Red’ drew a good save out of Dungloe ‘keeper Chris McGlynn when he found himself clear on goal.

Ardrian Sweeney and Shovlin added to their tallies in-and-around the 23 minute mark before McHugh sliced over having been sourced by an excellent ball from Mathew Maher. Now with the added breathing space of four points, Ardara looked to be home and dry with just three minutes of normal time remaining. But - similar to the end of the first period - Dungloe weren’t done just yet. Noel McBride and Sweeney curled over quickfire points to halve the gap and leave for a nervy finish inside Pearce Memorial Park.

Piling on the pressure, Dungloe claimed a late, late free on the extreme right. Sweeney’s in-swinger came back off the top of the post and but for some desperate, but admirable defending, Ardara could have been in real trouble. However, they managed to overturn possession inside their own ‘21 and cleared the danger to survive and claim maximum points to retain their place at the top of Division 1.

Ardara: Declan Gallagher; Kevin Byrne, Declan Gavigan, Kevin Breslin; Paddy McGrath, Kenneth Doherty, Mathew Maher; Jimmy O’Connell, Stephen Boyle; Noel Gallagher (0-1), Stephen McHugh (0-4,3f), Peter McNelis; Stephen Gildea (1-2, 1pen, 1f), Kieran Breslin, Martin Shovlin (0-2,1f). Subs: Francis Diver (0-1) for Boyle, Kevin Herron for Gildea, Brendan McNelis for O’Connell, Martin Sweeney for Gallagher.

Dungloe: Chris McGlynn; Gavin Ward, Jamie Sweeney, Doalty Boyle; Paddy Bonner, Mark McPaul, Mark Sweeney (0-1); Paul McGarvey (0-1), Ray Sweeney; Gerard Walsh, Adrian Sweeney (0-6,5f), Noel McBride (0-2); Cory Gallagher, Adrian Hanlon, Benny McGarvey. Subs: James Boyle for McGarvey, Michael Connolly for Ward, Evan Bonner for McPaul.

Referee: Ian Molloy (Naomh Conaill).

Malin 1-9

Four Masters 0-16

Four Masters returned to winning ways after their Championship exit last week with a four point win away to Malin.

The visitors played some very good football on the night and led this game from the second minute through to the final whistle, with a late Mathew Byrne penalty putting some gloss on the score for the home side.

County goalkeeper Paul Durcan was deployed on the edge of the square and registered three points from placed balls within the first 15 minutes. The impressive Anthony Kelly had responded with two for Malin but Joe Lacey’s full forward line were operating well and Stephen Keeney and Peadar Espey recorded further points from play to add to a Raymie McGroary effort for the visiors to lead by four.

The big county keeper was at it again on 21 minutes with another free, and whilst Anthony Kelly responded with two for Malin, Oisin McGinty slotted a fine solo effort to give the visitors a four point half-time lead.

By the 45 minute mark, Four Masters had extended their lead to 10 with scores from Michael Doherty, Paul Durcan (2), Karl Lacey (2), Oisin McGinty and Luke Keaney. In the interim period, Anthony Kelly had responded with a free for Malin, but both Kelly brothers were finding Francis McMullin a handful in the Four Masters midfield. McMullin and Oisin McGinty were causing a lot of trouble for the Inishowen men, but to their credit, Malin never gave up and points from Mathew Byrne and Benny McLaughlin reduced the margin to 8.

On 57 minutes a strong Paddy Kelly run set up Kevin McColgan for a goal opportunity which was saved by Cassidy and the rebound was excellently stopped on the line by Conor Rooney but referee Mickey Mulhern had spotted an infringement and called a penalty which Mathew Byrne dispatched off the under side of the bar. Byrne followed this with another point from play and as Joe Lacey may have been getting anxious on the sideline Paul Durcan responded with his first from play on the night to extend the margin to five again before Anthony Kelly brought his personal tally to six for the evening.

Malin: Declan Lafferty, Darren Doherty, Damien Harkin, Finbar Collins, Patrick McColgan, Daniel Greene, Ciaran McColgan, Paddy Kelly, Anthony Kelly (0-6), Dan McDaid, Mathew Byrne (1-2), Patrick McColgan, Stephen McLaughlin, Paul McLaughlin, Kevin McColgan. Sub: Benny McLaughlin (0-1)

Four Masters: Martin Cassidy, Darren Walsh, Davy Crawford, Danny McGarrigle, Raymie McGroary (0-1), Shane Carr, Conor Rooney, Karl Lacey (0-2), Francus McMullin, Luke Keaney (0-1), Michael Doherty (0-1), Oisin McGinty (0-2), Stephen Keeney (0-1), Paul Durcan (0-7), Peadar Espey (0-1). Subs: Sean O’Kennedy, Josh Lacey, Jamie McCrea.

Cloughaneely 0-7

Gaoth Dobhair 1-5

There were two vital points for Gaoth Dobhair with the league quest, which remains their only chance of silverware this year.

The team managed by Sean Nacy Gallagher fielded without county star Kevin Cassidy, while Neil McGee didn’t start with a dead leg but was introduced in second half.

Gaoth Dobhair also lost Peter McGee and Mannie Gallagher in the warm-up.

Gaoth Dobhair played against wind in first half but started well with Tomas Diver scoring from play in fourth minute. Cloughaneely took time to settle but led 0-3 to 0-1 after 16 minutes, with Denis Boyle free’s pointing after seven minutes, before setting up Joe Friel for a point after 12 and Sean Maguire was on the mark after 16minutes.

Gaoth Dobhair, playing short accurate ball, manufactured good attacks, cumulating with a fine Diver score before Shaun McGarvey was on target but it was the away team that lead at half-time. On 27 minutes a breaking ball to Ciaran Ferry found substitute Manus Weed free on goal, and he beat Michael McGinley with fierce shot.

At half-time Gaoth Dobhair led 1-2 to 0-4. Cloughaneely’s best period against the wind came at the start of secondnd half. Denis Boyle pointed after 30 seconds and Eugene Maguire put ahead the hosts in front after after eight minutes.

Neil McGee introduction for Gaoth Dobhair, between midfield and half forwards, gave Gaoth Dobhair strength and experience. Diver equalised for Gaoth Dobhair and was denied a goal soon after by McGinley in the Cloughaneely goal.

Gaoth Dobhair sensed victory and played the final 10 with great spirit. Diver scored two further points, a free from 25 metres in the 26th minute and and from play after 28 after good work from Joe Duffy and Neil McGee

Gaoth Dobhair: Chrisopher Sweeney; Anthony Blair, Eamon McGee, Christopher McFadden; Paul Mulligan, Danny Curran, Ciaran Ferry; Donal McBride, Ronan McNeilis; Fionnan Diver (0-4, 2 ‘45’ 1f), James Gallagher, Joe Duffy; Michael Mc Kelvey, Tomas Diver (0-1), Sean Doherty. Subs: Manus Weed (1-0) for Mulligan (5), Neil McGee for Doherty (39).

Cloughaneely: Michael McGinley; Michael Lynch, Paddy McClafferty, Kevin Doohan; Ciaran Scanlon, Kevin Mulhern, Eugene Maguire (0-1); Joe Friel (0-1), Michael McCausland; Shaun McGarvey (0-1, 1f), Denis Boyle (0-2, 2f), Declan McGarvey; Shaun McBride, Sean Maguire (0-2), Brian Cuffe. Subs: Ciaran McFadden for D McGarvey (44), Paul Sweeney for McCausland (52).

Referee: Jimmy White (Killybegs).

All-County League Division Two

Bundoran 1-12

Sean MacCumhaill’s 1-14

Report: Gary Anderson

A magnificent tally of one goal and nine points from the deadly Martin O’Reilly saw Sean MacCumhaill’s secure a much needed league win over Bundoran, at Gaelic Park, last Saturday evening.

In a hugely entertaining encounter, the game ebbed and flowed like the waves crashing against nearby Rougey Rock, but it was the men from Ballybofey who eventually came out on top.

The home side had been the more clinical in front of the posts during the opening period, with Tommy Hourihane notching up five points. However, O’Reilly’s superb goal on the stroke of half-time reduced Bundoran’s lead to a single point at the break.

Pat McNabb’s men began the second half with renewed confidence, adding three quick-fire scores to take the lead and despite a rally by Bundoran which saw them re-take the lead with four unanswered points; MacCumhaill’s got the vital scores at the end to claim the victory.

Bundoran’s Fergal McKiernan opened the scoring in the first minute. O’Reilly replied for the visitors almost immediately from a free before Jonny Ward restored Bundoran’s lead with a beautifully taken point off the outside of the boot. O’Reilly tapped over the bar again, following a foul on Bernard McGeehan to level it up.

Hourihane got in on the act moments later. Ciaran McCaughey drove through the middle of the MacCumhaill’s defense before finding Hourihane who turned his man and slid over a super point from the tightest of angles.

Two minutes later, Jonathan McHale goaled for Barry Keaney’s men. Again, McCaughey and Hourihane were heavily involved with the latter drawing a point blank save from MacCumhaill’s ‘keeper Darren O’Leary only for the ball to fall invitingly for McHale to volley home.

McGeehan and a Paddy McNulty free kept the Ballybofey men in touch before Hourihane tagged on two points at the other end. A mix up in the Bundoran defence allowed Andrew Bonnar in for a score but within five minutes Hourihane had sent over two more frees to stretch his side’s lead to five points.

MacCumhaill’s reduced the deficit by two, through Stephen McNulty and O’Reilly. A minute later, Christy Keaney looked to have given the home side a four point advantage at the break. But, step forward that man O’Reilly. The little corner forward picked the ball up 30 metres out and danced his way past three Bundoran defenders before firing past Ashley Mulhern in goal.

O’Reilly punished persistent fouling by Bundoran after the restart by knocking over three frees to give his side the lead for the first time. The home side rallied and Hourihane, Darra Hoey and two well taken Garry Clancy points swung the game back in the seasiders favour with less than ten minutes remaining.

However, MacCumhaill’s continued to press and forced Bundoran into conceding a number of fouls in positions that were eminently kickable. O’Reilly didn’t disappoint. He sent over three unanswered frees before Eoghan Wright added the insurance point. With that, referee Brown blew for full-time on what was a rare home defeat for Bundoran.

Bundoran: Ashley Mulhern, Diarmuid McCaughey, James Keaney, Jonathan McHale (1-0), Barry McGowan, Shane McGowan, Dara Hoey (0-1), Niall Dunne, Ciaran McCaughey, Adam Coyne, Gary Clancy (0-2), Fergal McKiernan (0-1), Tommy Hourihane (0-6; 5f), Christy Keaney (0-1), Jonny Ward (0-1) Subs: Ryan Walsh for Jonny Ward.

Sean MacCumhaill’s: Darren O’Leary, Eoghan Wright (0-1), John Lynch, Andrew McCloskey, Shane Duffy, Gary Dunnion, Joe Dunnion, James Lynch, Shane McNulty (0-1), Sean McGowan, Andrew Bonnar (0-1), Gavin Gallagher, Paddy McNulty (0-1), Bernard McGeehan (0-1), Martin O’Reilly (1-9; 9f) Subs: David White for James Lynch, Rory Dunleavy for Bernard McGeehan.

Referee: Liam Brown (Four Masters)

Kilcar 1-9

St. Michael’s 0-9

This fixture finally got underway after it was fixed a number of times but it was third time lucky for Kilcar and they will be happy to come away with the points which the Ulster Council had taken away before.

The difference at the final whistle was the goal scored by Ciaran McGinley on the 12th minute when he blasted to the net giving Ciaran Gallagher no chance in goals and leaving Kilcar sitting top of Division Two.

Kilcar started brightest with Ashley Carr getting on the scoreboard within in the first minute, which came from a run from Mark Sweeney who saw Carr in a better position to hit it over.

It was ten minutes later before the next score was registered by Stephen Coyle after a free was awarded to the St. Michael’s men. Kilcar responded well when Ciaran McGinley’s effort hit the back of the net after a pass in from Carr. Ciaran Gallagher could do nothing to stop this effort as McGinley drove the ball in. Mark McHugh added another point after some good play from McManus, McBrearty and Carr.

aniel McLaughlin added another point for the visitors from a difficult angle after the hard work was done by Colm McFadden and Stephen Coyle. Ashley Carr added his third point of the day on the 19th minute, with his next point coming from the kickout when the ball broke down in the middle and worked into Carr.

St. Michael’s had it all their on way for the last ten minutes of the first half and added points from McFadden, Coyle and Toye leaving the sides level at half time - Kilcar 1-4 St. Michael’s 0-7.

Kilcar started the second half as they did the first half when Patrick McBrearty got his name on the scoresheet within the first minute of the half. Ashley Carr added another point minutes later after McBrearty’s first effort was broken down by the St. Michael’s defence.

Ciaran McGinley had another goal chance to finish the game off but his effort was denied by the crossbar but he responded with a point minutes later. St. Michael’s got their first point of the half on the 23rd minute when McFadden scored from a free. Ashley Carr cancelled this effort out with a point at the opposite end when the St. Michael’s defence finally let Noel Hegarty slip in to pass to Carr. Peter Witherow added another point for St. Michael’s in the last minute but they did not do enough to get the better of Kilcar, for whom Ashley Carr impressed.

Michael Hegarty came through the contest without aggravating his knee injury, playing well at wing-back but the visitors were without Martin McElhinney.

Kilcar: Kevin Campbell, Barry Shovlin, Conor McShane, Stephen Shovlin, Michael Hegarty, Noel Hegarty, Declan McCloskey, Ciaran McGinley (1-1), David McShane, Mark Sweeney, Conor McManus, Patrick McBrearty (0-1), Mark McHugh (0-2), Ashley Carr (0-5), Declan Gallagher.

St. Michael’s: Ciaran Gallagher, Brendan Rawdon, Stephen Black, Peter Witherow (0-1), Andrew Kelly, Michael McGinley, Michael Gallagher, Ciaran Gallagher, Martin Breslin, Daniel McLaughlin (0-1), Barry McGinley, Christy Toye (0-1), Colm McFadden (0-4, 1f), Stephen Coyle (0-2), Raymond McLaughlin

Referee: Seamus McGonagle

Termon 1-10

Glenfin 0-14

Termon’s existence in Division Two already looks precarious after they blew a six-point half-time lead to go down to Glenfin by the minimum at the Burn Road on Saturday evening.

Ciaran Moy kicked the winning score right after Gerard Ward had levelled to leave the hosts deflated, which sealed an unlikely turnaround for Glenfin, who trailed 1-8 to 0-5 at half-time having faced the wind. Termon, as has been the norm this season, were over reliant on the talents of Christy Connaghan, who kicked a goal and eight points of their total including a 20th minute goal at a stage in the game when his side were profiting from long ba lls into the full-forward line.

However, Glenfin refused to buckle and with Moy and Ward scoring six points apiece and were always within touching distance. Frank McGlynn and Kevin McGlynn were point scorers. For Termon, Anthony McGrenra’s two points took the scoring responsibilities off Connaghan, who had an awkward free to level the game but for once was off the mark.

Termon: Michael Boyle; Joe O’Donnell, Shaun O’Donnell, Sean McDaid; Stephen McElwine, Johnny Gallagher, Barry Nellis; Bernard Alcorn, Declan O’Donnell; Trevor Alcorn, Martin Sweeney, Anthony McGrenra (0-2), Johnny McCafferty, Christy Connaghan (1-8, 5f); Kevin McDaid. Paddy McDaid for B Alcorn.

Glenfin: Benji O’Meara; John Harkin, Colm McCudden,Paul Bonner; Daniel McGlynn, Stephen McGlynn, Frank McGlynn (0-1); Michael McGlynn, Stephen McDermott; Seamus McGlynn, Kevin McGlynn (0-1), Malachy Martin; Ciaran Moy (0-6, 4f), Leigh Herron, Gerard Ward (0-6, 4f). Subs: Gary Herron and Gavin McDermott for Harkin and Stephen McGlynn (31), Hugh for for G McDermott (45).

GAA Results

RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta SFRC: Naomh Conaill 0-8, Naomh Adhamhnan 3-5.

Busanna Feda O Donaill IFC: Naomh Mhuire 1-14, Naomh Colmcille 0-5.

Busanna Feda O Donaill Jun AFC: Naomh Padraig-Muff 0-11, Burt 1-5 ; Downings 1-9, Letterkenny Gaels 0-6.

Busanna Feda O Donaill Jun BFC: Pettigo 1-10, Naomh Padraig Leifear 0-11.

Brian McCormack Sports Division One: Ardara 1-10, Dungloe 0-11 ; Malin 1-9, Four Masters 0-16 ; Cloughaneely 0-7, Gaoth Dobhair 1-5.

Brian McCormack Sports Division One Reserve: Malin 0-9, Four Masters 1-5.

McGlynns Resturant Castlefin Division Two: Bundoran 1-12, Sean MacCumhaills 1-14; Termon 1-10, Glenfin 0-14; Killybegs 0-8, Fanad Gaels 1-6.

McGlynns Resturant Castlefin Division Two Reserve: Kilcar 3-13, St Michaels 1-8; Bundoran 0-6, Sean MacCumhaills 1-12; Killybegs 2-16, Fanad Gaels 1-2 ; Termon 0-5, Glenfin 2-8.

Centra Supermarkets Division Three: Milford 0-17, Carndonagh 2-12 ; Urris 0-8, Buncrana 2-5; Buncrana 0-4, Burt 0-11.

Centra Supermarkets Division Three Reserve: Milford 0-13, Carndonagh 1-7 ; Urris 4-11, Buncrana 0-7.

Marley Coach Hire Division Four: Naomh Ultan 1-10, Moville 0-11.