Glenfin take their chances to oust Malin

Tom Comack


Tom Comack

Hitting wides proves costly as Malin discovered on Saturday night when they were dumped out of this year’s Senior Football Championship at Pairc Taobhoige, Glenfin.

Hitting wides proves costly as Malin discovered on Saturday night when they were dumped out of this year’s Senior Football Championship at Pairc Taobhoige, Glenfin.

Glenfin 2-10

Malin 1-9

They had twice the number of stray shots as the home side and even though they managed to keep in touch right until the end, the poor shooting proved costly at the finish. Two points separated the sides after a pulsating first half. Malin got off to a dream start with a goal from corner-forward Stephen McLaughlin inside the first minute.

Wing back Ciaran McColgan won the ball in the half-back line and transferred the ball to full-forward Daniel McDaid who found the elusive McLaughlin out on the wing who cut inside the give keeper Benji O’Meara no chance. The home side hit back quickly with a goal and a point.Michael McGlynn pointed in the third while a hblock on the Malin keeper, Declan Lafferty by Stephen McGlynn set up malachy martin who made no mistake from close range to fire into an empty net. The Inishowen side tied up

the game again on the 10th with a Charlie Byrne point but with Stephen McDermott and Michael McGlynn exerting control at midfield, the home side hit a purple patch and added 1-2 in the space of nine minutes to race into a 2-3 to 1-1 lead. Seamus McGlynn hit a long range point after good play from Mark McGinty Jnr while a Leigh Herron goal in the 18th followed when he pounced on a Kieran Moy free that broke in the Malin area. Michael McGlynn added the other to leave the what looks like a promising lead for the home side. Malin were having none of it however and responded with points from Matthew Byrne, Anthony Kelly and Daniel NcDaid to reduce the margin to two points with five minutes left in the half. Frank McGlynn and Anthony Kelly swapped points late on to see Glenfin lead 2-4 to 1-5 at half time.

Kieran Moy opened the home side’s account after 40 seconds of the second half and there was never more than two points between the teams until Moy and Stephen McDermott hit late points to seal the win. Moy. Michael McGlynn, Kevin McColgan, Matthew Byrne and Anthony Kelly all scored points.

Two quick points from Michael McGlynn and anotherr from play from Moy opened up a four point gap with five minutes remaining. Once again Matthew Byrne and Anthony Kelly hit back with points for the visitors from frees to make it a two point game going into injury time but the home side’s late scores sealed the victory.

Scorers Glenfin - Malachy Martin, Leigh Herron (1-0) each; Kieran Moy (0-4); Michael McGlynn (0-3), Stephen McGlynn, Frank McGlynn and Stephen McDermott (01) each. Malin - Stephen McLaughlin (1-0); Anthony Kelly (0-3, 3f), Matthew Byrne (0-3), Charlie Byrne, Daniel McDaid, Kieran McColgan (0-1) each. Glenfin: Benji O’Meara; John Harkin, Gary Herron, Dean Herron; Mark McGinty Jnr, Gareth Martin, Frank McGlynn; Michael McGlynn, Stephen McDermott; Leigh Herron, Kevin McGlynn, Stephen McGlynn; Kieran Moy, Malachy Martin, Seamus McGlynn.

Malin: Declan Lafferty; Damien Doherty, Daniel Greene, Kevin McColgan; Ciaran McColgan, Paddy McColgan, Charlie Byrne; PaddyKelly,AnthonyKelly;Conor Farren, Matthew Byrne, Michael Doherty; Stephen McLaughlin, Daniel McDaid, Gary Farren.

Referee: Liam Browne (Four Masters)