Fanad United close the gap at the top of the table

Round-up of the midweek action





Ulster Senior League round up

Fanad United, winners against Finn Harps Reserves

Fanad United closed the gap at the top of the Ulster Senior League to three points with a 2-1 victory over Finn Harps Reserves at Traigh-a-Loch on Wednesday evening.

Meanwhile Derry City Reserves claimed the points with a 1-0 win over Swilly Rovers.

There are no league games this coming weekend, but there's a Donegal News Cup semi final with Cockhill Celtic up against Bonagee United on Sunday. In the FAI Senior Cup, Letterkenny Rovers are in Dublin to play CIE Ranch.

Fanad United 2 Finn Harps Reserves 1

If it wasn't for an inspired performance by Harps net minder Joe Boyle this would have been a more comfortable win for Fanad on Wednesday night.

Playing with the wind in the first half, Fanad had most of the chances.

The first chance of note came in the 15th minute when after a sustained period of pressure the ball fell to Keelan McElwaine at the edge of the box and his shot was well saved by Joe Boyle.

Three minutes later Davitt Walsh fired over after being sent clear by Daire McDaid.

Fanad's pressure finally paid off in the 21st minute when they broke the deadlock. A ball forward from mid-field was flicked on by Marty McAteer to Tony McNamee who controlled the ball before firing the ball into the bottom corner.

On the half hour mark Keelan McElwaine's stinging shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide for a corner.

Fanad did extend their lead in the 35th minute when Marty McAteer headed on a ball to Daire McDaid who made no mistake.

McDaid almost got his second three minutes later but his shot produced a fine save from Joe Boyle.

On the stroke of half time Zak Brolly produced an excellent goal line clearance to deny Marty McAteer.

Ten minutes into the second half Zak Brolly broke forward from defence and found space in the box but his shot produced a decent save from Dane Dunworth.

Five minutes later Tony McNamee and Daire McDaid combined well up front only to see McDaid's shot well saved by Boyle. From the resulting corner Shaun McElwaine rose highest in the box and his header seemed to be heading for the top corner only for Boyle to palm the ball away at full stretch.

Harps were starting to gain more possession and Zak Gorman saw a header from a corner saved by Dunworth.

Two minutes later Daniel Stolarczyk saw his rasping shot from outside the box hit the side netting.

With 20 minutes remaining Daire McDaid did well to create space in the box but his shot was blocked on the line by Paul Ferry.

Fanad were left furious 18 minutes from time when they appealed for a handball in the area, but referee Packie Coll dismissed their claims.

This came only minutes after Jordan Toland went down in the box but those appeals were also turned away.

Joe Boyle again thwarted Fanad in the 75th minute when he produced a superb save with his feet to deny Daire McDaid.

Ten minutes from the end Boyle denied Tony McNamee with a decent save.

Harps did pull a goal back with four minutes remaining when sub Stephen Doherty's curling shot from the edge of the area went into the top corner.

Harps then piled on the pressure in the remaining minutes but Fanad, marshalled well at the back by Shaun McElwaine and Oisin Langan, held out for a vital win.

Fanad United: Dane Dunworth, Keelan McElwaine, Conor Blaney, Oisin Langan, Shaun McElwaine, Caolan Kelly, Jordan Toland, Marty McAteer, Davitt Walsh, Tony McNamee, Daire McDaid. Sub used: Darren McElwaine

Finn Harps Reserves: Joe Boyle, Zak Brolly, Pat Loughery, Paul Ferry, Charlie White, Daniel Stolarczyk, Ronan Gallagher, Corrie Lee Brogan, Zak Gorman, Dean O'Donnell, Karl McGinley. Subs Used: Stephen Doherty, Michael Doherty, Nathan Logue,

Referee: Packie Coll.

Finn Harps Reserves who were beaten by Fanad United

Swilly Rovers FC 0 Derry City Reserves 1

Swilly started well in this game and Marty McDaid's cross-shot went just over on 12 minutes.

Finnian O Donnell shot straight at the keeper on 20 mins when in a good position.

Swilly Rovers went very close again on 41 mins when Shaun Crossan's precise free kick found Marty McDaid whose header produced a fine save from Derry's Daniel Houghton.

The winning goal came shortly after half time when Shaun McBride struck for Derry. City had another chance right at the end with Jack Malone's shot was collected by the keeper, Ben Boyle.

Swilly Rovers: Ben Boyle, Duncan Patterson, Paul Clarke, Rory McCrossan, Connor Duggan, Marty McDaid, Ryan McDaid, Brad Patterson, Finnian O Donnell, Jordan Nugent, Shaun Crossan. Subs: Matthew Mc Laughlin, Jamie Blaney.

Derry City Reserves: Daniel Houghton, Rhys Mc Dermott, Mattie Doherty, Kieran Farren, Ethan Harkin, Ethan Coll, Shaun McBride, Connor Gormley, Shane McNamee, Mikey Sweeney, Evan Tweed. Subs: Jack Malone, Callum Boyle, Dylan Devine.

Referee: Vincent Mc Laughlin.


Sunday, April 22, 2pm

FAI Daily Mail Senior Cup, Qualifying Round

CIE Ranch v Letterkenny Rovers

Donegal News Ulster Senior League Cup, semi-final

Cockhill Celtic v Bonagee United

Wednesday, April 25, 7pm

Letterkenny Rovers v Finn Harps Reserves