Lagan Harps defeat Glenea to go top of Premier Division

Reports from today's games

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter


Lagan Harps defeat Glenea to go top of Premier Division

Lagan Harps are the new leaders of the Donegal League Premier Division.

They defeated Glenea United 2-1 at Orchard Park on Sunday to go top of the table as the race for league honours enters the final few games.

Castlefinn Celtic are third after a thumping 4-1 win over Kildrum Tigers.

The reigning champions Drumoghill FC are still in the hunt with games in hand. However, they failed to win again today, held to a 2-2 draw at Milford United.

In the other game in the top division, Convoy Arsenal recorded their first win of the season, defeating Kilmacrennan Celtic 3-2.

in Division One, Raphoe Town won their local derby with Deele Harps 1-0.

In the CT Ball Division, Dunkineely Celtic beat Letterbarrow Celtic 2-0 while Lifford Celtic scored an important 3-1 win over Eany Celtic. There were also wins for Drumkeen (4-1 at Copany) and Whitestrand (2-0 v Kerrykeel).

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division
Lagan Harps . . . 2
Glenea United . . . 1
Lagan kept their title hopes alive, and set up a dramatic end to the season with this hard earned win.
The match was a hard fought, tight game throughout with both sides showing great determination.
Glenea, with the aid of the breeze, had the better of the first half without creating too many chances. Most of the danger came from deep crosses into the Lagan area. Lagan took the lead on 40 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for handball. Glen Gallagher drove the resulting kick in to the net.
Glenea came out strong in the second half and equalised on 55 minutes. Dean Mc Garry's header was ruled to have crossed the line, despite the protests of the Lagan players.
Both teams went for the winner with Glenea slightly more threatening. Lagan grabbed the winner on 85 minutes when Joe Coll did well to block sub Caolan Murray's shot, but Lagan's other sub Karol Mc Ginley fired home. Karol had also scored a vital winner in the game against Castlefinn.
Glenea threw everything at Lagan but some excellent defending kept them at bay. For Lagan Ronan Gibson and Glen Gallagher were excellent in a solid back line. Oran Hilley and Conor Matthewson also did well in midfield.
For Glenea Paul Sweeney, Kevin Mulhern and Lee McFadden stood out.
Referee: Kevin Logue.

Ct Ball Division
Whitestrand United . . . 2
Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. . . . 0
On a bright sunny day, Whitestrand took on Kerrykeel 71 in a local derby at McGarvey Park. In terms of league position, neither team had a lot to play for but this was always going to be competitive.
Whitestrand started the stronger team and took an early lead when Liam O’Riordan broke the high line Kerrykeel were playing and placed the ball into the back of the net. The second goal came shortly afterwards when Johnny Sweeney floated a ball into the box and it missed everybody and drifted into the far corner.
Whitestrand continued on the front foot and nearly had a third with a well struck volley from Johnny Sweeney.
The second half started much more evenly with neither team giving the other much time on the ball. Whitestrand gradually exerted their influence on the game but Kerrykeel almost got one back when Andrew Friel broke free and it resulted in a fine save from Paddy Kelly.
Best for Whitestrand were Derek Edwards and Liam O’Riordan.

Lifford Celtic . . . 3
Eany Celtic . . . 1
Eany stunned Lifford to take the lead after only 3 mins when their centre forward took control of the ball in a crowded box and turned to finish into the top corner.
Lifford created good chances for McBrearty, Porter and Mahon but couldn't find the net. Half time 1-0 to Eany.
The home team pushed men forward in the second half and were missing chance after chance until the 75th minute when Daniel Lindsay headed in a cross from Ross Porter.Time was now running out for Lifford who were desperate for a much needed winner. With the game now into injury time Kevin McBrearty struck a perfect free kick from 35 yards which flew into the top corner to put Lifford in front.
Lifford had time to add a third to seal the points after McBrearty went on a run down the left wing to square to James McNulty who tapped home from 6 yards.
Kevin McBrearty and James McNulty were best for Lifford.

Dunkineely Celtic . . . 2
Letterbarrow Celtic . . . 2
Dunkineely took an important step towards clinching promotion to Division One with a hard fought victory over fellow promotion chasing Letterbarrow.
A tightly contested first half ended scoreless with both sides having a couple of good chances each.
However, with the wind in their backs in the second half, Dunkineely took the direct approach and this finally paid off on 65 minutes when a clearance from the Dunkineely goalkeeper landed in the Letterbarrowpenalty area only for Paul Murrin to poke home after the ball rebounded off a defender.
As Letterbarrow pushed for the equaliser, Dunkineely secured their second on a break when Alan Lyons lashed home from inside the area.