Letterkenny Rovers well beaten in Waterford

Tramore dump Letterkenny out of the FAI Youth Cup

Sports reporter


Sports reporter



Letterkenny Rovers well beaten in Waterford

Letterkenny Rovers

The southeast was far from sunny on Saturday for Letterkenny Rovers as they exited the FAI Youth Cup at the last 32 stage.

Tramore AFC . . 7

Letterkenny Rovers . . 1

A clinical first half performance from a crack Waterford side Tramore set them up for a comfortable 7-1 victory and in doing so ensure Rovers depart the competition before the quarter final stage for the first time in six seasons.

The visitors travelled the 415km trip on the morning of the game and started well with Brian Diver and Codey Brogan looking a threat for the opening quarter of an hour before the Waterford side took the lead when Lee Kavanagh's free kick was met by the inrushing Reggie Madika and the tall striker made no mistake when his header found the target past Rovers netminder Eoghan Jordan.

That gave added belief to the hosts and they doubled the advantage on 25 minutes when the highly impressive Brandon Deady capitalised on a defensive error and he made no mistake when firing past Jordan.

Rovers though did threaten to get one back through Brogan, a Shane Doherty header and a Doherty overhead scissor kick. They had sound claims for a penalty waved away by referee Richard Brassil when Brogan appeared to have been held back by defender Ben Richards on the half hour mark.

The decision not to award the penalty which could have got Rovers back into the game was compounded just three minutes later when Tramore were awarded a penalty themselves. Brian Diver was adjudged to have brought down Lee Power and Deady made no mistake firing home from the spot with aplomb to make it 3-0.

It was always going to be an uphill task for Rovers after that and Tramore added two goals on 44 and 45 minutes to really make it a half to forget when the excellent Deady completed his hattrick with the goal of the game when combining with Ben Breslin to make it 4 before Madika again aided by some poor defending found the net with a well drilled effort from the edge of the box.

Rovers boss Anthony Gorman would have asked his shell-shocked side to regroup and put in a decent second half shift but they conceded once again on 48 minutes when Darragh Wall finished superbly from a Deady cross.

The Donegal men though to be fair battled hard for the remainder of the game and driven on by the impressive Shaun Curran looked threatening going forward and came close through Tarlach O'Boyle, Doherty and Brogan while Brian Diver hit the inside of the post. But it was one of those days as nothing seemed to go right before goals were exchanged in the dying minutes when sub James Connolly made it 7-0 before Brogan got a goal and just rewards for a decent personal performance when heading home from a Ciaran Daffan corner.

Tramore on this performance will be a tough nut to crack in the tournament and face Limerick side Janesboro at home in the last 16 in late February while Rovers will plan ahead for the resumption of the Youth season in early January.

Tramore AFC: Raul Rostas Lacatus, Tom Carney, Lee Power, Ben Richards, Ben Flynn, Conor Butler, Lee Kavanagh, Ben Breslin, Darragh Wall, Reggie Madika, Brandon Deady.

Subs: Favor Eddy for Butler 45 mins, Desmond Ulahan for Flynn 54 mins, Shane O'Brien for Madika 65 mins, James Connolly for Wall 75 mins, Darragh Fizpatrick for Power 81 mins.

Letterkenny Rovers: Eoghan Jordan, Calvin O'Brien, James Tourish, Eoghan Kelly, Ruairi Dennehy, Shaun Curran, Brian Divers, Shane Doherty, Codey Brogan, Tarlach O'Boyle, Jerome Angel-Atauhuen

Subs: Ciaran Daffan for Dennehy 35 mins, Brandon Manues for Tourish 50 mins.

Referee: Richard Brassil.