Fanad United's good form in Youth League continues

Fanad move clear at top of the table

Sports reporter


Sports reporter


Fanad United's good form in Youth League continues

Fanad United

Fanad United Youths went three points clear at the top of the Donegal Youth League after a 3-1 victory over Gweedore United at Traigh-a-Loch on Saturday afternoon.

Fanad United 3

Gweedore United 1

Fanad started the stronger and took the lead after 5 minutes when Gerard McAteer swung in a free kick from the right which found the top corner of the net.

Fanad could have extended their lead 2 minutes later when another McAteer free kick found Sean Little in space but he was denied by a fantastic save by Shane Corless in the Gweedore nets.

Fanad could have got their second 25 minutes in when after some fine work by Brad Patterson, his ball into the centre was met by Michael Devine but he fired over. Two minutes later Corless produced another fine save to deny Michael Devine.

Gweedore were starting to grow into the game and got their equaliser in spectacular fashion just after the half hour mark. When Mark McFadden showed great skill to find space 25 yards out, he unleashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

However, Fanad missed a glorious chance to go back ahead 2 minutes later when Michael Devine showed great skill and strength to create space in the box, his shot came back off the foot of the post. When the ball rebounded out to Brad Patterson his shot was blocked on the line by a combination of Gweedore defenders.

The last five minutes of the half belonged to Gweedore and Fanad had keeper Dane Dunworth to thank for keeping the scores level when he produced 3 fine saves. After Michael McHugh ran onto a through ball, his attempted chip was well saved by Dunworth. Three minutes before the break Michael Ferry fired in a fierce shot from outside the box which Dunworth saved at full length. And on the stroke of half time Steven McFadden cured a shot which again Dunworth saved.

Gweedore United had a chance to take the lead five minutes into the second half but Mark McFadden saw his shot go just over the bar.

Fanad did start to pile on the pressure and went ahead in the 64th minutem when Jamie McKinney fired home.

With 20 minutes remaining Corless produced another excellent save to again deny Devine. After a few near misses, Michael Devine finally got on the score sheet with 12 minutes remaining. Darren McElwaine showed great skill to find room and his touch sent Devine clear and he made no mistake from 15 yards to wrap un the game for Fanad.

Best for Fanad were Dane Dunworth, Darren McElwaine and Michael Devine. Best for Gweedore were Shane Corless, Mark McFadden and Michael Mulhern.

Fanad United: Dane Dunworth, Bernard McGettigan, James Kerr, Peter Curran, Ryan Taylor, Darren McElwaine, Brad Patterson, Sean Little, Michael Devine (Louis Hanlon 80), Gerard McAteer (Jamie McKinney 55), Ronan Gallagher (Ciaran Coyle 80)

Gweedore United: Shane Corless, Diarmuid Coyle, Aran Bowyer, Michael Mulhern, Neil Kelly, Patrick McGinley, Michael Ferry, Mark McFadden, Michael McHugh, Steven McFadden, Andrew Doohan

Referee: Marty McGarrigle.