Wins for Cockhill, Rovers and Bonagee in USL

Wins for Cockhill, Rovers and Bonagee in USL
By Sports Reporter @dgldemocrat

Cockhill Celtic moved five points clear at the top of the Ulster Senior League with a win over Fanad United at Triagh-A-Loch on Sunday.

The champions have a game in hand and their quest for a fifth successive Ulster Senior League crown is really gaining momentum.

Also on Sunday, Letterkenny Rovers won 3-2 at Derry City Reserves.

On Friday night, Bonagee United were too strong for Swilly Rovers, winning 3-0.

Fanad United . . 1

Cockhill Celtic . . . 2

Goals by Garbhán Friel and Gerry Gill saw league leaders Cockhill Celtic over the line against second-placed Fanad.

Those strikes, one in each half, put them in control. By the time John McGarvey, a substitute, fired in for Fanad in the 93rd minute, the home side had run out of chances.

Fanad, who came into this one with a chance to go top, made Cockhill earn their corn here.

Cockhill played the last 14 minutes with ten men after Derek Doherty was given a second yellow card.

Fanad felt that they should have had a penalty in the 75th minute when Daire McDaid, growing into the game at that point, went down under the challenge of Cockhill ‘keeper Harry Doherty.

Cockhill took the lead in the 41st minute when Friel netted from the spot after Kieran Gorman’s foul on the big Cockhill striker.

Friel rolled into one corner and, after being ordered to retake the kick, slotted into the other with his second attempt to give the Inishowen men the lead and bag his first league goal of the campaign.

Cockhill’s second goal, three minutes from the end, had a stroke of fortune about it. Gill and Friel worked a short-corner with Friel’s cross deceiving Oran Blaney, Fanad’s goalkeeper, and creeping into the far corner.

Fanad did manage to find a way through, after Gill had doubled the lead, when McGarvey converted from Martin McElhinney’s cross and it was too late to summonse one last push.

Derry City Reserves . . . 2

Letterkenny Rovers . . . 3

Darren McElwaine netted the winner 12 minutes from time as Letterkenny Rovers got back to winning ways at Derry City Reserves.

Ryan Gildea gave Rovers the lead, but Matty Doherty levelled in the 12th minute. Just a minute later, David Shovlin restored Letterkenny’s lead.

Sean McBride’s chip beat Rory Kelly to level things up before McElwaine’s 6th league goal of the season earned Rovers the win.

Bonagee United 3

Swilly Rovers 0

Goals from Darek Frankowski and Francesco Crisci helped fire Bonagee United to victory over Swilly Rovers at Dry Arch Park on Friday night.

Second-half strikes by Pole Frankowski and Italian Crisci sent Peter Moran’s team on their way to a win.

Frankowski’s 55th minute goal opened the scoring and Crisci’s clinical second made the win safe for the home side, with a 78th minute header by Dean Larkin completing a good night at the office for the men in yellow and green.

Bonagee, still reeling from their Intermediate Cup defeat at Edenderry Town last Saturday, took a little time to come into the game, but they managed to hit the front ten minutes into the second half.

Aidan McLaughlin’s honesty perhaps denied the hosts a penalty just after the break, the striker clearly pulled as he entered the box.

McLaughlin steadied himself, stayed on his feet and missed out on what looked a certain penalty as a result.

But Bonagee were soon in front as Frankowski fired home in the box after Aidan McCauley’s free kick wasn’t dealt with.

Swilly had their moments in a first half that lacked in quality.

Centre-back Dylan Hegarty had a go from almost half-way and forced the back-peddling Gareth Wade to tip over the crossbar, denying the Swilly man an audacious goal.

Crisci made it 2-0, clipping past Bolton from outside the box.

Larkin’s tidy header, after connecting to a cross by Aidan McLaughlin, gave Bonagee further cushion and Swilly end 2016 still searching for a first league win of the season.