Weekend match round-up from the Donegal League

Kildrum Tigers advance in FAI Junior Cup

Sports reporter


Sports reporter



Weekend match round-up from the Donegal League

Action from Sunday's Division One meeting of Raphoe Town and Donegal Town.

Kildrum Tigers became the second team from the Donegal League to go through to the national stages of the FAI Junior Cup following their 4th round win over Erne Wanderers on Sunday.
It was one of the big games of the day in the county and Kildrum came from 2-0 down at the break to win 4-2. They join Drumoghill in the 5th round.
There was only a limited programme of fixtures on Sunday due to the Oscar Traynor Cup action on Saturday night in Buncrana.
In Division One, the league leaders Donegal Town drew 1-1 away to Raphoe Town while in Division Two, Ballybofey United made it eight wins from eight games.

Temple Domestic Appliances Div. One
Raphoe Town 1
Donegal Town 1
See our match special elsewhere on this website

Other games
Cappry Rovers closed the gap on leaders Donegal Town when they beat Glenree United 4-0.
Calvin Bradley scored a brilliant hat-trick and Paddy McNulty also found the net in a comfortable victory.
Gweedore United recorded a 2-1 victory over neighbours Keadue Rovers.
Michael Barry scored United's opener but Keadue drew level on the hour.
Mark McFadden scored a spectacular winner for the Gweedore men

Ballybofey United 6
Cranford United 1
Damien Glackin struck five times as Ballybofey United retained their spot at the top of the CT Ball Division Two League Table.
Alan Patton got the opener in this match having only recently returned after a period out injured. Joe Gallagher got a late consolation goal for Cranford when Ballybofey led by five but Glackin had the final say as he did what he does best and scored the game’s last goal to help deliver another three valuable League points to Brian Lafferty’s side.
Other games
Lifford Celtic, like Ballybofey, have won all of their league games so far. On Sunday, they travelled to Copany and came away with a fine 3-1 victory.
They opened the scoring through James Connolly and made it 2-0 after half time when Ross Porter scored. Copany pulled one back but Shaun Hamilton's goal soon after killed off their challenge.
Eany Celtic enjoyed another good result, this time beating Whitestrand 4-1.
Caolan Gaffney put them 1-0 up but Liam O'Riordan equalised for the visitors.
Two goals from Stephen Griffin and a fourth from Daniel Gallagher gave Eany the points.
There were ten goals scored as Kerrykeel defeated Curragh Athletic. It finished 6-4 in favour of Kerrykeel, even though Curragh led 3-1 at the break.

FAI Junior Cup
Kildrum Tigers 4
Erne Wanderers 2
Premier Division Kildrum Tigers will travel to Abbeyfeale, Limerick next weekend for a 5th round tie in the FAI Junior Cup after they defeated Erne Wanderers in round 4 at Station Road on Sunday.
It was quite a win for Kildrum who found themselves 2-0 down at half time.
Erne played really well in the first half and were in a good position at the interval after goals from Barry Mulligan and Shane McGrath. However, goals from James Melly, Declan Curtis, William Lynch and Ethan Coll saw the border club come from behind to win.


Glencar Inn Division

Fintown Harps AFC 0
Orchard F.C. 6
There were no goals in the opening twenty minutes with chances at a premium. Orchard then benefitted from a penalty and added three further goals to lead by four at the break. Orchard added two more in the second half with the Man of the Match, Michael Sweeney, completing his hat-trick.
Dunlewey Celtic 0
Drumbar F.C. 2
In wonderful conditions it was the visiting team who took all three points. Caolan Loughney scored after Ciaran Boyce had made a great save only for the rebound to fall kindly for Caolan to score. The second half was nip and tuck. Shaun Fegan increased the lead with a powerful shot into the top corner. The home side pressed hard but were unable to get a goal back.
Glencar Celtic 3
Strand Rovers 0
This match was played at the Flagpole Field in Rathmullan and Glencar took full advantage of their home advantage. Mickey Molloy opened the scoring when he headed Glencar into the lead. Paddy O’ Kane got their second as they dominated the proceedings. Strand Rovers battled hard however, and the Glencar rearguard had to be alert at all times. Rory Gallagher scored from the edge of the box to finish the game as a contest.
Referee: Liam McConigley.

Reserve Division

Keadue Rovers 3
Donegal Town 0
Keadue came out on top in this mid table clash at Central Park on Saturday. On a decent day for football it was Donegal Town who enjoyed the brighter start.
Keadue went ahead when a free kick from Ethan Harkin bounced in the penalty area and Ultan Boyle poked it in at the near post.
Keadue made it 2-0 on 48 minutes when Ultan Boyle ran onto a fine ball over the top from Eoin Duggan and hit a low shot past the advancing keeper. To their credit Donegal Town created a few chances but Keadue scored a third to wrap things up on 89 minutes when Francis Gallagher tapped in from close range.
Referee: Mick Lagan.

Milford United 7
Glenree United 2
Milford welcomed Glenree to Moyle View Park on a cold misty day for a game. Milford started strong and took the lead through Chris Duffy. It was 2-0 soon after with Conor Meakin tapping in a JJ Fleming cross. Chris Duffy got his second to make it 3-0. Conor Meakin found the bottom corner from the edge of the box for his second to make it 4-0 at halftime.
Milford were awarded a penalty on the hour mark and JJ Fleming made no mistake to open his account. It was soon 6-0 with JJ Fleming finding the bottom corner for his second of the game. Glenree got one back with Coyle breaking through the Milford back line to find the back of the net. Ryan Campbell made it 7-1 for Milford before Sean Clyde got a header from a corner for Glenree to make it 7-2.