Great win for St. Catherine's over leaders Rathmullan

Erne Wanderers flying high in Division One

Great win for St. Catherine's over leaders Rathmullan

St. Catherine's brought an end to Rathmullan Celtic's excellent run of results when they recorded a 1-0 win at Emerald Park in the Premier Division yesterday.

In Division One, Erne Wanderers made it four wins out of four with a comfortable victory over Raphoe Town.

In the CT Ball Division, Ballybofey United lead the way after a narrow win over Whitestrand United.

Premier Division

St. Catherine's 1

Rathmullan Celtic 0

Rathmullan were the stronger of the two sides in the first half with Michael Mullen pulling off a string of good saves to keep the home team in the game.

St. Catherine's came out more positive in the second half and started to test the Rathmullan keeper. Daniel Breslin latched onto a breaking ball to lob the keeper ten minutes into the half to put the home side one up .

Rathmullan pressed, trying to find an equaliser with the home team happy to defend and try to hit the visitors on the counter attack. With all the visiting team's possession they never really troubled the St. Catherine's goal and the home team held on defending bravely. Best for Rathmullan was Alan Boal on the wing and there was an impressive performance from David Fisher in the middle of the park. Stephen Muirhead and Donal Mc Guire impressed for St. Catherine's with solid defensive displays .

Drumoghill FC 1

Milford Utd 1

Milford United ended Drumoghill’s perfect start by taking home a point from The Moss.

Milford opened the scoring mid-way through the first half when Darren McLaughlin capitalised on poor defending to put his side into the lead. The lead though was short-lived and Paddy Rafferty restored parity a few minutes later.

Both sides were missing a number of key players and Drumoghill seemed to suffer the most, as they struggled to get any kind of rhythm. Terence Shiels looked the most likely to create a winner for them with his penetrating runs from the flank but the end product was lacking all too often.

Referee: Paddy Martin.

Other games

In Sunday's other matches in the Premier Division, Timmy Burke scored the winner as Kilmacrennan Celtic won 1-0 at Glenea United.

Convoy Arsenal drew 1-1 at home to Lagan Harps. Kenny Doran gave Harps the lead before Ryan Carlin drew Convoy level.

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One

Glenree United 0

Gweedore United 3

It was the visiting team that left Glenree Park with the three points after beating an understrength Glenree team.

The first goal came within 20 minutes when Niall Friel shot low and hard past the keeper. The second goal came in the 35th minute when a penalty was awarded and Shane O'Donnell scored.. The final goal came in the 67th minute when Ciaran McFadden finished the ball cooly after a good run. That finished the match and it dwindled out for the last 20 minutes.

Referee: Martin Mc Anenny

Other games

Cappry Rovers enjoyed a 3-2 win at Keadue Rovers with Paddy McNulty, Calvin Bradley and Ronan McHugh scoring for the Ballybofey club.

Hugh Moy was among the goals for Keadue.

Donegal Town scored a fine 2-1 victory at Deele Harps with Declan Browne scoring their opener.

Deele scored an OG and while Jordan Duffy pulled a goal back for them, Donegal held on for the win.

Erne Wanderers are going well at the top of the table and they had little trouble at home to Raphoe Town, winning 5-1.

Erne's goals came from Seamus Kane, David Dolan (2), Mark Dorrian and Diarmuid McInerney.

At Dry Arch Park, Gweedore Celtic's Colin Ferry scored a late winner to give his team a 1-0 win over Bonagee United.

CT Ball Division

Whitestrand United 0

Ballybofey United 1

On a brisk October afternoon Whitestrand United took on Ballybofey United at McGarvey Park. The game started at a frenetic pace but gradually Ballybofey took control of the game.

Whitestrand were dangerous on the counter and nearly took the lead where Kevin Mc Carry broke through and shot narrowly wide. The game was played largely in the Whitestrand half and at the interval it was 0-0.

Whitestrand started the second half in a positive manner and they nearly went ahead when Ken Dempsey fired narrowly wide.

Ronan McMenamin headed the winner for Ballybofey close to the end. There wasn’t much time for a Whitestrand reply but it nearly came when Kevin Mc Carry shot over.

Other games

Niall Bonner was on the mark for Drumkeen United who were held 2-2 at Kerrykeel.

Drumkeen's other goal came from an OG and they also missed a penalty.

Ryan McGonigle and Michael McDevitt scored for Kerrykeel.

Letterbarrow Celtic were 3-1 winners over Curragh Athletic.

Renato Evangelista scored for Curragh but Letterbarrow picked up the points thanks to goals from Nathan Carr, Alex McNelis and John Corley.

In the big game in the division, Colin Carlin scored the only goal as Lifford Celtic beat Dunkineely Celtic 1-0.