Lagan lead in Div One, but it's tight at the top

Lagan lead in Div One, but it's tight at the top

Even though there were only three games in the Temple Domestic Appliances Division One on Sunday, it was a significant day at the top of the table.

Lagan Harps are now clear leaders following their 4-0 win over Bonagee Utd. However, Donegal Town also won yesterday, beating Keadue Rovers 5-0. They are up to second three points behind Lagan and both sides have two games left to play.

Convoy are third in the table, four points off top spot with a game in hand.

Lifford Celtic 2

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 0

Kerrykeel were bright in the first half with a strong wind on their back and had the Lifford defence under pressure for periods. They were limited to half chances as Lifford’s hard working back four led by centre half Martin kept them at bay.

Lifford took the lead in the first few minutes of the 2nd half as striker Hamilton held the ball up with his back to goal. He spotteed the run of his strike partner Colin Carlin and played a fine ball over his shoulder to allow Carlin to race clear of the defence to score.

Lifford got their second on 60 minutes when a shot from Carlin was parried by the keeper and Hamilton was first to react with a finish into the bottom corner.

Kerrykeel pushed hard after this to try and get into the game but never really troubled the Lifford keeper.

Lagan Harps 4

Bonagee United 0

Lagan kept up their title challenge with a home win over local rivals Bonagee.

Bonagee went close on two minutes when Austin Marron beat the offside trap. Jason Quinn did well to knock his effort away with his feet.

Lagan went close on eight minutes when Kenny Doran headed a corner against the bar. Lagan took the lead on20 minutes when Mark Hunter diverted a Gerard Hilley shot past the keeper.

It was 2-0 five minutes later when Kenny Doran's shot was spilled by the keeper who then brought Mark Hunter down as he went for the rebound. Hunter got up to fire home the penalty.

Bonagee responded with efforts from Glen Rainey and Austin Marron just off target. Lagan got their third on 40 minutes when Chris Toner headed back across goal and Kenny Doran headed in.

Glen Rainey then headed against the bar as Bonagee looked to respond.

Lagan made it four on halftime when Mark Hunter fired home a Chris Toner cross.

The second half started as the first with Austin Marron beating the offside trap. Although he rounded the keeper he shot across goal from a narrow angle. Glen Rainey headed against the bar for Bonagee on 60 minutes and Lagan's Kevin Kelly hit the post on seventy minutes.

For Lagan Seamie Peoples, Chris Toner and Mark Hunter were best. For Bonagee Oisin Kelly and Glen Rainey were best.

Referee: Micky Mulhern.

Donegal Town 5

Keadue Rovers 0

Donegal Town dominated this game from start to finish and rarely looked threatened.

Danny Mc Garrigle put Donegal ahead after only 3 minutes when he ran onto a short free kick and hammered the ball into the roof of the net from 20 yards.

Daniel McHugh doubled Donegal's lead within 5 minutes. Following a nice one-two with Joe McIntyre, McHugh tapped the ball in from close in.

David Graham got Donegal's third of the first half when he headed Ciaran O'Reilly's cross into the net from close range.

Donegal continued the second half in a similar fashion. Graham converted a Stephen Curneen cross for Donegal's fourth goal.

Joe McIntyre rounded off the scoring for Donegal when he turned his marker and placed the ball neatly into the bottom corner.

Cranford United 4

Gweedore United 2

Cranford went ahead early when Andrew Kelly turned smartly and fired in from close range.

Both teams had good chances to score before the half time whistle but were unable to find the net.

Gweedore came out on the attack after the break and were rewarded with the equaliser . However, Kelly got his second not long after to restore Cranford's lead, and completed his hat-trick, his third of the season, to give Cranford what looked like a comfortable lead.

However, to Gweedore's credit, they came back fighting and found the net with 15 minutes left to give them a chance, but this was short lived as Caolan McGee broke the offside trap and finished neatly past the keeper.