Drumoghil beat Rovers; Swilly shocked by Cappry

Knockalla Caravans Cup

Drumoghil beat Rovers; Swilly shocked by Cappry

Less than nine months after their win over Derry City Reserves in last year's final, Letterkenny Rovers were dumped out of the competition at the first round yesterday.

Eamonn McConigley's side were beaten 3-2 by Donegal League Premier Division high-fliers Drumoghill FC.

The Moss club's win came despite them falling behind to two early goals from Letterkenny.

It wasn't the only big shock of the opening round. Swilly Rovers were also dumped out of the cup by Cappry Rovers who, like Drumoghill, came from behind to win.

There was no joy for the Donegal League's two other representatives in the competition. St. Catherine's were beaten 4-2 away to Buncrana Hearts while Kildrum Tigers were well beaten at Glengad United.

Bonagee United advanced in a penalty shoot-out win over Fanad United. Cockhill Celtic are safely through following their win over Clonmany Shamrocks while Derry City Reserves had too much for Aileach on Saturday, winning 3-0.

The last of the eight first round ties will take place this coming weekend when Cootehill play Clones Town.

Drumoghill FC 3

Letterkenny Rovers 2

Going so well in the Ulster Senior League and in the FAI Intermediate Cup, Letterkenny were strong favourites going into this tie.

And the game looked to be going their way when two goals inside the opening ten minutes from Steve Okakpo-Emeka and Terence Shields header got them up and running.

However, Drumoghill have also been enjoying an excellent run of results of late and they got one back when Pajo Rafferty scored on 27 minutes.

Rovers missed chances to extend their advantage before Rafferty levelled matters four minutes into the second half with another well taken strike.

The striker completed his hat-trick, scoring the winning goal with only eight minutes remaining - his shot going in off the post.

It was a fantastic win for Michael Lynch's side but for Rovers, it's a disappointing set-back in a season that up until now, has been so impressive.

Aileach 0

Derry City Reserves 3

These side also met in the Knockalla Cup last season and once again, it was Derry who advance.

Cathal Farren was the match-winner for the Candystripes, scoring a brilliant hat-trick to ease his team into the last eight.

Derry, beaten finalists last season, will fancy their chances again this year and with players of the calibre of Jack Blake, Rory Holden and Ryan Doherty in the side, they have to be a good bet for cup success.

Cockhill Celtic 3

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Ronan Olly Doherty scored two of the Cockhill goals as they won the all-Inishowen meeting with Clonmany Shamrocks.

All the damage was done in the first half with Gerard McLaughlin also scoring for Gavin Cullen's team who led 3-0 at the break.

Michael Devlin did give Clonmany some hope when he scored in the second half, but Cockhill were worthy winners in the end.

Bonagee United 0

Fanad United 0

(Bonagee win 3-2 on pens)

There were no goals in 90 minutes and extra time at Dry Arch Park.

So it took penalty kicks to decide this tie and Bonagee's keeper, Eugene Ferry was the hero for the Letterkenny men, pulling off three saves as Bonagee won 3-2 on spot kicks. It was Bonagee's second win in a week over Fanad - they'd also beaten them in the league the previous weekend.

For Fanad, it was one of those weekends - their youth team were also beaten on penalty kicks in the Colin Breslin Cup on Saturday against Letterkenny Rovers.

Cappry Rovers 3

Swilly Rovers 1

This tie was switched to Ballybofey and it was the visitors who opened the scoring early on when Marty McDaid finished well.

Darren O'Leary drew Cappry level before half time and the Donegal League side then went in front through Kyle O'Meara.

O'Leary, a player who has been in fine goalscoring form this season, got the all-important third to round off an impressive win for Cappry.

Glengad United 5

Kildrum Tigers 0

They're the form team in the county at the moment, and Glengad kept that run going with a comfortable win over their Donegal League opponents.

Glengad qualified for the last eight of the FAI Junior Cup last weekend.

And they had little trouble against Kildrum who battled well until the break at which stage Glengad led 1-0 thanks to Terence Doherty's opener.

Christy Fildara scored twice shortly after the break. Doherty made it 4-0 and Adam Byrne completed the scoring late on.

Buncrana Hearts 4

St. Catherine's 2

The Killybegs club were without seven first team regulars for the trip to Castle Park, but still ran their opponents close yesterday.

They went ahead when Gareth Concarr scored from the penalty spot just before half time.

However, two goals after half time, one from Buncrana's Calvin Gallagher and the other from James McGonagle turned this game on its head.

The game's second penalty was scored by Buncrana's Ryan Curran and Kieran McDaid added a fourth.

St. Catherines pulled one back towards the finish from Barry Rose, but Buncrana had done more than enough to book their place in the last eight.