Fanad get the better of Swilly in USL


Fanad get the better of Swilly in USL

Fanad United got their first win of the Ulster Senior League season when John McGarvey's late winner saw them beat Swilly Rovers.

The win moves Fanad level on points with Swilly, although they stay bottom on goal difference.

At the other end of the table, the gap at the top is down to just a single point following Letterkenny Rovers' victory over Bonagee United on Sunday.

The leaders, Cockhill Celtic, were due to play Derry City Reserves, but that match was postponed.

Letterkenny Rovers 3

Bonagee United 1

Letterkenny Rovers got the better of derby rivals Bonagee Utd with a hard fought win in awful weather conditions at the Aura centre.

Rovers will look back on a job well done. They started by far the better and Paul McVeigh and Christy Connagahn both had early chances.

They did however, go ahead on 17 minutes when a Johnathan Minnock corner found Paul Boyle at the back post and his header found the net.

Bonagee will rue the concession of such a soft goal but did come close through a Kevin Barr free before Rovers extended the advantage on 25 minutes.

Ryan Lonergan's long throughball was chested down by Darren McElwaine into the path of McVeigh and he made no mistake, this time firing home low past Ferry.

Bonagee did have a couple of chances to get back into it before half time with Aidan McLaughlin blazing over on 36 minutes and Daryl Browne forcing debut goalkeeper Stephen Conroy into a saved on 43 minutes.

Rovers though got the all important third goal on 66 minutes when Steve Okakpo-Emeka finished from close range.

That should have made it comfortable but just like in the cup games, Rovers retreated and Bonagee were thrown a lifeline on 72 minutes when referee Michael Connolly pointed to the spot for a foul by Darek Frankowski - playing against his former club - on McLaughlin and Anthony Appiah made no mistake from the penalty.

Bonagee did press hard but the home defence held firm under a barrage of free kicks and corners.

Fanad United 1

Swilly Rovers 0

Fanad United secured their first victory of the season with this win at Triagh a Locha.

Despite the heavy conditions, both teams served up an entertaining game. Fanad had a chance to open the scoring as early as the second minute when Keelin McElwaine broke through only to see his shot expertly pushed onto the post by Gareth Wade.

Swilly had a good chance to open the scoring in the 22nd minute. Kennedy Boachie received the ball out on the left and he showed some good skill to race past two Fanad defenders but his well hit shot went wide.

In the 40th minute an excellent move involving several Fanad players found Davitt Walsh in the box but he saw his shot crash agonisingly off the angle of post and cross bar.

Both teams had chances to break the deadlock in an action-packed second half.

On the hour, Fanad introduced John McGarvey off the bench and his arrival certainly gave Fanad more attacking impetus.

They continued to create opportunities while Swilly's best chance to score came in the 77th minute when Brandon Toye met an excellent free from Adam Sahli at the back post but Oisin Langan produced a last ditch tackle to deny him.

Just when the game seemed to be heading for a draw Fanad struck the winner in the 88th minute when John McGarvey turned the ball home following a corner. It ensured a first win of the season for Fanad.


Sunday, February 7th

Bonagee Utd v Fanad Utd. Cockhill Celtic v Swilly Rovers

Derry City Reserves v Letterkenny Rovers

Games kick off at 2pm