Celtic the winners in Gweedore derby in Junior Cup

Lagan Harps' goalkeeper Damien Mc Fadden makes a timely tackle on Castlefin Celtic striker JP Malley. Pic.: Gary Foy, League PRO
Gweedore Celtic came out on top in the big local derby in the Ulster Junior Cup, but it was close. The game ended level but Celtic won 4-1 on penalties.

Gweedore Celtic came out on top in the big local derby in the Ulster Junior Cup, but it was close. The game ended level but Celtic won 4-1 on penalties.

Ulster Junior Cup

Gweedore Celtic 2 Gweedore United 2

(Gweedore Celtic won 4-1 on penalties)

This local derby went all the way to penalties before the home team qualified for the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup. After a less than impressive first half which saw them go in at half time a goal behind, the home team upped the ante in the second half and dominated proceedings for long periods. United took the lead in the 20th minute when Paul Doogan’s corner glanced off the head of a Celtic defender. The second half saw Celtic on top and they equalised in the 70th minute when Jay Dee Alawiye’s cross dipped over United keeper Joe Duffy. Their joy was short lived as a defensive error in the 75th minute allowed Ciaran Mc Fadden to restore United’s lead. Not to be outdone Celtic threw caution to the wind and got back on level terms when Paul Rua Mc Bride headed home from a Jamie Boyle corner. Extra time failed to produce a winner .In the penalty shoot- out Micheal Mc Kelvey saved three penalties for the home team whilst Shane Porter, Jamie Boyle and Eamon Mc Gee were successful for the home team. Referee: Kevin Logue

Castlefin Celtic 1 Lagan Harps 2 (a.e.t.)

Lagan advance to the next round of Ulster Junior Cup after a 2-1 win after extra time at Park View. Castlefin took the lead after 6 minutes, Peter Bryson found Corrie Bogan on the left wing and his cross fell to JP Malley who tapped home in front of goal. James Mc Menamin had a great chance to double the home side’s lead but his strike was slightly wide after 20 minutes. Kenny Doran had Lagan’s best chance of the half after 32 minutes, his strike bringing a great save from Castlefin keeper Gary Mc Croary. Lagan equalised on the 75th minute, Kenny Doran beat the offside trap and finished into the bottom corner to bring the game to extra time. Lagan found the winner on 97th minute, a cross from the left wing found Paul Rodgers free at the back post to head into the top corner. Castlefin piled on the pressure as they searched for an equaliser but the Lagan defence stood firm. Referee: Mick Lagan. Best for Castlefin: James Mc Menamin. Best for Lagan: Team Performance

Kildrum Tigers 1 Illies Celtic 0

(No Report Submitted)

Lifford Celtic 5 Rasheny F.C. 1

Lifford raced into a two goal early advantage. A Kevin Mc Brearty shot was deflected into the net and moments later Adam Kelly tapped in from close range. James Connolly added a 3rd on the half hour mark as he finished to the bottom corner following a solo run. Rasheny gave themselves hope before half time when they grabbed a goal through centre forward Declan Oggie. Rasheny, with the help of a strong breeze, began to trouble Lifford early in the 2nd half but were unable to find the net. Lifford went further ahead and secured victory as Connolly grabbed his second with a cool finish on the hour mark. Steve Devine got Lifford’s 5th, calmly finishing to cap a fine performance on 75minutes.

Glenea United 2 Rathmullan Celtic 1

(No Report Submitted)

Bonagee United 1 Greencastle F.C. 2

Lee Mc Monagle came close on four minutes for Bonagee after he broke through and shot over from just outside the box. Greencastle had a great chance to take the lead on eight minutes when a cross from Rohan Doherty from the right fell to Aiden Cunningham who shot wide from ten yards. The visitors took the lead on twenty minutes when Rohan Doherty was sent clear and the striker made no mistake from eighteen yards. Bonagee levelled the game on the hour when a Paddy Mc Gowan pass down the right found Lee Mc Monagle who’s shot from the edge of the box came back off the post and Marty Mc Elhinney was first to react and fired home from ten yards. The visitors had two great chances to take the lead but Carr in the home goal made two good save from Rohan Doherty and Matty Henry on sixty five and seventy minutes. They got the winner on seventy five minute when Matty Henry won the ball just outside the box and he scored in the bottom corner of the net. Team efforts by both sides. Referee: Paddy Duffy.

CT Ball Division Two

Glenree United 1 Ballybofey United 1

Ballybofey made the journey to face Glenree in what was a competitive encounter that resulted in both teams sharing the spoils. It was the home side that started the brighter, forcing Ballybofey to defend deep in their half. Twenty Five minutes into the half Glenree were awarded a penalty after a Ballybofey player handled the ball on the line. Karl Mc Elhinney confidently placed the ball into the net from the penalty spot to give the home side the lead. Ballybofey rallied in the second half and were awarded a free kick ten minutes into the half that was fizzed into the home side’s net from 25 yards by Niall Mc Closkey. Glenree produced numerous chances but were unlucky not to have got a winner. Team performance from Ballybofey United. Best for Glenree Martyn Cullen, Naoise Cullen and Joe Bray

Eany Celtic 4 Letterbarrow Celtic 2

This local derby was played in glorious sunshine at Eany Park and saw the home side collect their first 3 points of the season. The visitors settled early and a long strike from by Mc Brearty hit the Eany crossbar. The home side got into their stride and good work down the left by Pauric McHugh found Stephen Griffin in space inside the box. The Eany striker’s 6th minute shot hit the net to put the home side one up. Letterbarrow were awarded a free kick out outside the box on the half hour. The free kick taken by John Roper found the back of the Eany net. The score remained 1-1 until half time. The home side went ahead again ten minutes into the second half when James Flynn found Griffin on the outside the box in space. The striker rounded the Letterbarrow defence for a fine individual goal. Eany got a third when Brendan McCole intercepted a midfield pass and went straight at the visiting defence and then rounded the keeper to slot the ball home. The visitors came back at Eany but a fine performance from the home defence and an assured performance from young Keeper Patrick Gallagher kept the goal intact. It wasn’t until deep in injury time that Letterbarrow got their second goal. It came from a penalty with Cathal McGowan taking the spot kick. Referee John Coyle blew for full time on the restart.


Ulster Junior Shield

Drumkeen United 1 Orchard F.C. 7

Orchard United were the visitors to St Patrick’s Park on Saturday afternoon for this eventful Ulster Junior Shield Game. Played in Glorious Winter sunshine this game had a bit of everything. The Visitors took the lead after 15 minutes through Gavin Mc Brearty and doubled their advantage 10 minutes later when Micheal Doherty, out on the left side of the penalty box, fired a low shot across the keeper which went in at the right hand post. Drumkeen were seeing plenty of the ball in the first half but were struggling to get their passing game together in the last third and could not get enough ball up to Peter McNamee who would be regarded as their main goal threat. McNamee was living off scraps and on the few occasions he did get the ball he was fouled. At the other end the always dangerous Micheal Doherty forced a great save from Ciaran Bonner and Chris Kyle was there with a great block on the follow up shot. Bonner also made a great save from a Joe McCarron free kick and Kyle did well to block another Orchard effort. As the half was drawing to a close the home team were given a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Peter McNamee. Anthony Browne stepped up and calmly slotted it home to leave Drumkeen just a goal behind at the interval. Early in the second half Drumkeen keeper Bonner gave away a penalty which was well dispatched by Doherty. Things then went from bad to worse for them when Kevin Boyle, who had only come on as a substitute at half time, got his marching orders for deliberate hand ball and another Penalty was awarded. Michael Doherty again took the penalty but this time he tried to chip the keeper but Bonner stayed on his feet and easily caught the ball. Doherty made up for this miss shortly after when he scored with a long range effort to effectively put the game beyond the home team. Even though they were a man down and three goals behind Drumkeen kept battling away. They had efforts from Ryan Kettle, Aaron Doherty and Anthony Browne without managing to find another goal. Micheal Doherty added two more goals to bring his total for the game to 5 and then Gavin Mc Brearty rounded off the scoring when he got his second and Orchard’s seventh goal. Despite only been a goal down at half time this turned into a day to forget for Drumkeen who will hope to do better when the two teams meet again in the league in two weeks time .Referee: Michael Mulhern

Glencar Celtic 2 St. Catherines Reserves 0

Glencar hosted St. Catherine’s and came out of the traps early and went ahead through the ever busy Graham Cullen who fired home from edge of the box after great play by Decky Scanlon. Glencar squandered a lot of chances and should of been well ahead before halftime. Glencar finished off the game when super-sub Liam Doherty finished well after a good Glencar attack. In fairness to St. Catherine’s they fought hard to the end. Garvan Grieve, Mark Forde and Paddy O’Kane shone brightest for Glencar. Spirited team performance from St. Catherines.

Old Orchard Saturday Division

Fintown Harps AFC 1 Arranmore United 1

Fintown started the brightest playing some nice football. The visitors started to come into the game and Christopher Mc Brearty saved well on two or three occasions. Fintown had a few efforts of their own but they failed to score before the break. After ten minutes of the second half Christopher Mc Glynn put the home side ahead. The visitors piled on the pressure and were rewarded when a cross from “Rua” on the right hand side got a touch for an equaliser. It was now game on and both sides tried to create chances with the visitors having a header saved on the line which Fintown turned into a counterattack with Mc Glynn going through one on one but his effort was saved.

Strand Rovers 4 Drumbar F.C. 0

Both sides started brightly but Strand won a corner after 4 minutes and a great delivery from James Mc Cole was converted by a great header from Brendan Glackin. The home side piled on the pressure and a good cross from the wing was collected and tucked away by Sean Mc Millan to make it 2-0 after 20 minutes. The game continued in the same vein for the remainder of the half apart from a few chances which fell to Drumbar’s Ray Balligan. In the second half and the home side turned the screw again with chance after chance falling to Darragh Hanlon but the Drumbar keeper Kevin Burke pulled off some great saves. Adam Mc Hugh’s corner was then headed home by Brendan Glackin. Sean Mc Millan scored again to make it 4-0 at the finish.

Glencar Inn Saturday Reserve Division

Milford United Reserves 5 Donegal Town Reserves 1

Milford welcomed Donegal Town to Moyle View Park hoping to maintain their unbeaten home record and they did so in style against a strong Donegal Town team. In perfect playing conditions Milford took the lead after 20 minutes with JJ Fleming heading home a great Jason Mc Conigley cross. They doubled their lead 5 minutes later when, following a goal mouth scramble, Lee Burke poked home. Milford went in at halftime with a deserved 2-0 lead. Donegal town started the second half strongly but it was Milford who would score next, Ciaran Blaney firing in from just inside the box after 55 minutes. Donegal Town pulled one back 10 minutes later through an unfortunate own goal from a corner. With Donegal Town now pressing it was Milford who hit them on the break, the impressive Jason Mc Conigley sprinted from the halfway line to then rifle into the roof of the net in the 80th minute. Just 2 minutes later JJ Fleming got his second of the game, calmly slotting past the keeper to make it 5-1. A great team performance from Milford with Jason Mc Conigley standing out. A good team effort from Donegal Town. Referee: Barry Hunter

Keadue Rovers Reserves 3 Curragh Athletic Reserves 4

This game played in lovely conditions started off evenly as both teams pressed looking for the opening goal. The 1st real chance fell to Keadues Cory Gallagher who’s chip over the keeper went just wide. The 1st goal of the game came when the ball broke to Damien Hanlon on the edge of the Curragh box and he fired the ball to the top corner of the Curragh net. Keadue doubled their lead when good play up the right hand side released Cory Gallagher who finished well. The 2nd half started with Keadue in control until Curragh won a penalty and Simon Cromie finished well. Curragh started to come into the game more and equalised when a free kick wasn’t dealt with and Dermot Shields applied the finishing touch. Curragh then went 3-2 ahead after another ball into the box was not dealt with and Simon Cromie finished well. Keadue equalised after good play from Hugh Moy and Cian Boyle broke through to slip the ball past the keeper. Curragh were not to be denied and found the winner through Simon Cromie completed his hat-trick and the 3 points were destined for the Curragh. Simon Cromie best for Curragh while Hugh Moy, Cian Boyle and Matthew Ward all tried hard for Keadue.

Glenea United Reserves 3 Cappry Rovers Reserves 1

Shane Ferry scored twice for Glenea United Reserves against Cappry Rovers Reserves on Saturday afternoon at Mc Gettigan Park, Glasserchoo. Gerard Maguire got the home side’s third as they claimed all three points from their visitors from the East of the county who could only register one goal for their ninety minutes in An Gaeltachta.

Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 1 Castlefin Celtic Reserves 1

A draw was a fair result from this match. Both team had their chances to collect all three points. Castlefin had better of first half and went ahead on 20 minutes when a long kick-out fell to Matthew O’ Rourke who rounded the keeper and slotted home. Drumoghill to their credit came out firing on all cylinders for the second half and equalised on 55 minutes when Richie Moore collected a Mark Gibson pass and fired home from close range to draw the sides level. From here neither side could capitalise on their chances with both defences in fine form. Best for Drumoghill were John Madigan and Richard Tinney with Matthew O’ Rourke best for Castlefin. Referee: Dessie Mc Laughlin.