Raphoe get back to winning ways

After last weeks slip up against Bangor, Raphoe got back to winning ways by beating Armagh 7-1.

After last weeks slip up against Bangor, Raphoe got back to winning ways by beating Armagh 7-1.

Raphoe 7

Armagh 1

From the start Raphoe were well on top and pinned Armagh back into their own half and it wasn’t long before the first chance was created but Alan Patterson saw his effort saved. After ten minutes Raphoe had the ball in the back of the net when Gavin Lecky deflected the ball past the keeper via a defenders foot but the umpire disallowed the goal for some reason still unknown to Raphoe.

However Raphoe did not allow this minor setback affect them and they took the lead two minutes later when Alan Patterson had time and space in the circle to flick the ball past the keeper. Six minutes later Raphoe doubled their lead after patient build up play on the right from George Patterson, Alan Patterson and Ian McGonigle, William Wauchope found Richard Patterson at the back post to tap home.

At the other end Armagh were getting very little change from the Raphoe defence and from their best chance of the half Johnny Rankin made an excellant save from a drag flick at a short corner. Minutes later Alan patterson had a good chance to increase Raphoe’s lead but his reverse stick shot flew high over the bar.

Just before half time Raphoe had a second goal disallowed when Alan Patterson took a quick free, ran fifteen yards into the circle and stuck the ball past the keeper the umpire pulled the play back saying the free was taken in the wrong place and from the retake Armagh cleared the danger. The half ended 2-0 to Raphoe.

Raphoe came out after half time knowing that the next goal was going to be important and after only two minutes of the half John Watt scored Raphoe’s third goal when his shot was deflected home by a defender.

Four minutes later Raphoe scored again good work by George Patterson on the right saw him cross the ball to Watt, his first effort was saved but when the rebound fell to him again he made no mistake slamming the ball home. From Armagh’s first short corner of the half Alan Patterson cleared off the line with Rankin beaten. Ian McGonigle was next on the score sheet he picked up a pass from William Wauchope and with calm and composure he pushed the ball past the advancing keeper.

With Raphoe well on top at this stage William Kilpatrick saw an effort come back off the post with the keeper beaten all ends up. With fifteen minutes left William Wauchope scored his first goal of the season when his shot squirmed over the line.

Then Raphoe had a third goal disallowed Richard Patterson scored from a short corner but the umpire ruled it out for an encroachment into the circle by Gavin Lecky. With the score at 6-0 and Raphoe comfortable at the back all day a horrendous pass by William Kilpatrick fell to the Armagh centre forward and although Rankin saved the first shot he could do nothing with the rebound. Matthew Lecky completed the scoring in the final couple of minutes from a short corner, he side stepped the first runner and fired the ball into the net.

Man of the match for Raphoe was John Watt.

Next week Raphoe are at home to Portadown in the semi-final of the Irish Hockey Trophy, push back at the Royal School Grounds is at 2.30pm.

Team: Johnny Rankin, William Kilpatrick, Rodney Bates, Alan Meehan, Matthew Lecky, Ian McGonigle (Capt.), Richard Patterson, George Patterson, William Wauchope, Gavin Lecky, Alan Patterson, John Watt, Lee Coll, Simon Goudie.

Raphoe 3’s 2-1 Mossley 4’s

Raphoe 4’s 1-5 Civil Service 5’s

Congratulations to the winners in Week 16 of the Club 300 Draw, which was held on Saturday 25th Feb 2012

1st Prize Hannah Walker

2nd Prize Ann Harkin

3rd Prize Pat Lafferty