Jason Quigley will make his professional boxing debut as part of the undercard of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez’s fight against Erislandy Lara in the 17,000-seater MGM Grand, Las Vegas, on July 12.
Oscar de la Hoya’s superstar stable confirmed last week that they have snapped up Quigley.
The Ballybofey native’s opponent has yet to be named but the middleweight will undertake a four-rounder in Nevada as he begins his passage in the professional ranks. “America is where it happens,” he said. “LA, Las Vegas, Southern California – it’s the capital of professional boxing no matter what anybody says.”
Quigley enjoyed a rapid rise through the amateur ranks in 2013 when he won the Irish and European middleweight championships.
The 22-year-old then collected silver at the 17th AIBA World Elite Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan, when he went down narrowly to Zanibek Alimkhanuly. It was Quigley’s first loss following 32 successive wins in amateur bouts.