Basketball Ireland and the Basketball Ireland National Committee for Primary Schools are running a teachers’ course.
It will take place on Thursday 21st November, in the Glebe National School Donegal Town, from 3.30pm to 5.30pm.
All interested schools in south Donegal, through the Donegal Sports Partnership,are invited to attend.
The recently published “Children’s Sport Participation and Physical Activity Study”, indicates that basketball is played by 71% of girls and 65% of boys attending Irish Primary Schools during their PE lessons. This makes basketball one of the most popular PE class activities in Ireland.
Basketball Ireland and the newly appointed Basketball Ireland National Committee for Primary Schools is keen to offer opportunities to children to participate in extra-curricular Primary Schools Mini-Basketball at local level.
This is an activity session (bring runners) and will include:
• A one hour 15 minute activity based course on the basic skills of Mini-Basketball with teaching games suitable for both the PE lesson and after school sessions.
• A 30 minute meeting which will discuss the setting up of a local pilot extra-curricular programme which might include Tournaments or Leagues.
Basketball Ireland supports affiliated local groups in the early stages in different ways including:
• A grant of up to €400 to cover general initial expenses (a committee for the area must be set up and affiliate to BI before a grant will be given)
• Access to Mini-Basketball skills and teaching games, and courses including Summer Courses with EPV days.
• Insurance cover for the Committee.
The emphasis in Mini-Basketball is on maximum participation and skill development and the rules of Mini-Basketball ensure that all team members take part.
Please register your interest by email to email@example.com
If your school cannot be represented at the meeting but would like to be contacted in the future, regarding Tournaments/Leagues and courses, please forward the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Louise O’Loughlin at the National Basketball Arena with name and address of school; contact email and phone number.