Another good result as Finn Harps earn draw at St. Pat's

Goalless draw at Richmond Park






St. Pat's v Finn Harps

Niall McGinley who started at Richmond Park on Monday night. Picture: Stephen Doherty

Finn Harps followed up Friday night’s excellent result against Dundalk with another good night at the office at Richmond Park on Monday night.

St. Patrick’s Athletic  . . . 0

Finn Harps  . . . 0

In another battling display, the Donegal side frustrated their opponents with a well organised and confident display.

And while St. Pat’s created a number of chances, especially in the first half, Harps managed to keep them at bay.

The draw, coming so soon after the energy-sapping display against Dundalk, was another excellent result and sets things up nicely ahead of this Friday night’s first north west derby of the season against Sligo Rovers in Ballybofey.

St. Pat’s went into this game as one of the form teams in the division having won their opening two games, including Friday night’s victory at Sligo Rovers.

They were firm favourites to make take another win against Harps and they started well. Showing two changes from the side that won at the Showgrounds (defender Ciaran Kelly and striker Gary Shaw were both in from the start) they forced Harps keeper Peter Burke into action early on with Mikey Drennan’s free saved.

Harps, who made one change from the team that drew with Dundalk with Niall McGinley starting in midfield ahead of Raff Cretaro, were kept busy in defence and midway through the half, they survived another scare when Kelly wasn’t far wide following a free-kick.

Drennan and Shaw then combined to set up Rhys McCabe but he was unable to find the target.

Harps got themselves in at the break still on level terms and while Drennan was just wide with the first chance of the second half, Ollie Horgan’s men began to create some good moments of their own.

Sean Boyd had a goalbound effort blocked by keeper Webster while McGinley drove over from long range.

Then from a Mark Coyle corner, Boyd got his head to the ball but his effort was just over.

At the other end, St. Pat’s went close to breaking the deadlock on 63 when Brandon Miele’s shot was saved by Burke onto the post.

Soon after St. Pat’s went on the attack again but Drennan was again wasteful in front of goal.

The dying period saw no real clear-cut chances at either end and while both teams made a string of substitutions, both defences held firm, despite four minutes of injury time.

Elsewhere on Monday night, Bohs moved top of the Premier Division following a 1-0 win over their Dublin rivals Shamrock Rovers.

Derry City got back to winning ways with a 3-2 win over Waterford at Brandywell. Dundalk were 2-1 winners against UCD and Cork City got their first win of the season, defeating Sligo Rovers 2-1 at the Showgrounds. Ramelton's Kyle Callan McFadden scored the Sligo goal.

St. Patrick’s Athletic: Brendan Clarke , Dave Webster, Ciaran Kelly (James Doona 82), Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Conor Clifford, Mikey Drennan, Simon Madden, Gary Shaw (Brendan Miele 59), Jamie Lennon, Rhys McCabe (Chris Forrester 69).

Finn Harps: Peter Burke, John Kavanagh, Daniel O’Reilly, Jacob Borg, Keith Cowan, Sam Toddy, Mark Coyle, Gareth Harkin, Nathan Boyle (Raff Cretaro 67), Sean Boyd (Mikey Place 84), Niall McGinley (Caolan McAleer 79).

Referee: Graham Kelly.