As Christmas time approaches, you'll want to ensure that you have all the ingredients you need to treat your family and friends to some amazing mouth-watering festive treats.
Here are a few examples:
Serrano-wrapped pear with goat’s cheese, makes 12
6 slices of serrano ham
A small log (125g) of goats cheese (you wont use it all)
½ a packet of rocket leaf
Tear 6 slices of Serrano ham in half. Core a pear and cut into 12 slices. Place a piece of pear at the bottom of the ham slice. Add a 3cm piece of goats cheese and a few rocket leaves. Roll up and secure with a cocktail stick
Pigs in blankets makes 16 or half the sausages and make 32
½ sheet of puff pastry
16 pork sausages
Egg lightly beaten
Drizzle of olive oil
Light sprinkle of sesame seeds, optional
1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and grease a large baking tray. Unroll the puff pastry into an A4 sheet and cut 16 x 10cm-long strips.
2. Wrap each pork sausage in a strip of pastry, winding it round like a corkscrew.
Place on the baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 15 mins. Can be chilled overnight or frozen for up to two weeks.
3. Mix the egg yolk with 1 tsp water and use to glaze the top of each pastry spiral.
Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then bake for 25-30 mins until the pastry is puffed up and golden, and the sausages are cooked.
Sesame Chicken and Prawn skewers makes 20 to 24
Thumb-sized piece ginger grated
1 large garlic clove, grated
1 tsp honey
1½ tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
½ lime juiced
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 skinless chicken breast, cut into10/12 pieces
10/12 raw king prawns
1 broccoli head, cut into 24 florets
24 cocktail skewers
1. Combine the ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and sesame seeds. Divide between two bowls, then add the chicken pieces to one and the
prawns to the other. Toss both mixtures well, then leave to marinate in the fridge for 15 mins.
2. Cook the chicken in a frying pan over a medium-high heat for 3 mins, then push to one side and add the prawns to the other side of the pan. Cook for 2 mins until the prawns are pink and the chicken is cooked through (use two separate pans if anyone you’re cooking for has an allergy or is a pescatarian). Lightly steam the broccoli for 5
3. Thread half of the skewers with chicken and broccoli and the other half with prawns
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Live editorial team any time. To contact Donegal Democrat and Donegal People's Press, email email@example.com To contact Donegal Post, email firstname.lastname@example.org To contact Inish Times, email email@example.com.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.