Donegal's All-Ireland journey ended by Tyrone in MacCumhaill Park

Subs make difference for Red Hands

Peter Campbell


Peter Campbell

Donegal's All-Ireland journey ended by Tyrone in MacCumhaill Park

Michael Langan on the ball for Donegal Photo Geraldine Diver

The strength of the Tyrone bench was the difference as the Red Hand men defeated Donegal in MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey in the final game of the Super 8s.

Donegal 1-13
Tyrone 2-17

The introduction of Lee Brennan gave Tyrone a real boost in the second half and he hit 0-4, while Harry Loughran and Declan McClure also came off the bench to fire home the goals.
It was a turnaround after Donegal went in at half-time 1-6 to 0-6 ahead, thanks to a goal from Michael Murphy in first half injury time
Tyrone were much quicker to settle, helped by a point after 21 seconds from Tiarnan McCann.
Donegal were on terms within a minute when Odhran Mac Niallais won a free for Michael Murphy to point.
Mark Bradley had Tyrone in front almost immediately. But Tyrone looked to have the better of things throughout the first quarter. This despite losing Michael McKernan to a black card on five minutes for a late tackle on Ryan McHugh. Neil McGee picked up a yellow for a tackle on Cathal McShane and Connor McAliskey pointed from the free.
Donegal pulled a point back after a poor effort from Jamie Brennan was deflected for a '45' , which Michael Murphy converted.
Tyrone went two ahead again on 18 minutes when Peter Harte found Matthew Donnelly and his effort just crept over off a post and almost finished in the net.
Donegal came into their own in the second quarter and were on level terms by the 24th minute with points from Ryan McHugh after a great break, and Ciaran Thompson after they won the kick-out.
Colm Cavanagh nudged Tyrone back in front but a great clearance from 'keeper Shaun Patton saw MacNiallais set up Jamie Brennan to equalise once more.
On 35 minutes Donegal got their noses in front for the first time as Jamie Brennan showed Frank Burns a clean pair of heels to fist over.
From the kick-out, Ryan McHugh did great work to win the ball and find Michael Murphy to finish to the net and send the home crowd into raptures. Remarkably, it was Murphy's first championship goal since the 2012 All-Ireland final.
Tyrone had the final points of the half in the 40th minute when Matthew Donnelly won a soft free and Connor McAliskey pointed.
Half-time: Donegal 1-6, Tyrone 0-6.
Donegal started the second half well with Jamie Brennan setting up Michael Langan for a good point. Peter Harte replied from a free but Odhran Mac Niallais had Donegal four clear again.
Lee Brennan, just on the field, had an immediate impact for Tyrone, hitting two points and looking lively.
Donegal replied with two from MacNiallais and Jamie Brennan but Padraig Hampsey left two between them with 48 minutes gone. Tyrone were almost in for a goal when a Lee Brennan cross was almost touched in by Cathal McShane.
When Paddy McGrath came forward to loft a great point on 55 minutes, it seemed that Donegal were looking good.
But then Tyrone took command with three points from Lee Brennan (free), Padraig Hampsey and Kieran McGeary. And the big turning point came on 59 minutes when Tiarnan McCann cut in along the endline. He seemed to be going for a point as he punched the ball across the goal and Harry Loughan stole in to fist to the net.
Eoghan Ban cut the lead to the minimum but the momentum was with Tyrone. Points from Mattie Donnelly and Niall Morgan (free) left three between then and it should have been more as Lee Brennan cut through but fired over with the goal at his mercy.
Niall O'Donnell had a Donegal point in added time but Ronan McNamee replied.
Donegal had a late chance but a Michael Murphy free was saved and to rub salt in the wounds, Tyrone broke upfield for their substitutes to combine and Declan McClure fire home a second goal.

Scorers - Donegal: Michael Murphy 1-2,f,'45'; Jamie Brennan 0-3; Odhran Mac Niallais 0-2; Paddy McGrath, Ryan McHugh, Niall O'Donnell, Michael Langan, Ciaran Thompson, Eoghan Ban Gtallagher 0-1 each
Tyrone: Lee Brennan 0-4,1f; Harry Loughran, Declan McClure 1-0 each; Padraig Hampsey, Matthew Donnelly, Connor McAlliskey (2f) 0-2 each; Ronan McNamee, Tiarnan McCann, Peter Harte (f), Mark Bradley, Kieran McGeary, Colm Cavanagh 0-1 each.

DONEGAL: Shaun Patton; Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee, Stephen McMenamin; Frank McGlynn, Eamonn Doherty, Eoghan Bán Gallagher; Hugh McFadden, Michael Murphy; Ryan McHugh, Leo McLoone, Ciaran Thompson; Odhrán Mac Niallais, Michael Langan, Jamie Brennan. Subs.,Paul Brennan for C Thompson 49; Niall O'Donnell for MacNiallais 57; Anthony Thompson for McGlynn 60; Martin McElhinney for Langan 63; Martin O'Reilly for McLoone 67; Mark McHugh for P McGrath 71
TYRONE: Niall Morgan; Michael McKernan, Ronan McNamee, Conor Meyler; Tiarnan McCann, Frank Burns, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Padraig Hampsey; Matthew Donnelly, Niall Sludden, Cathal McShane; Mark Bradley, Richard Donnelly, Connor McAliskey. Subs., Lee Brennan for R Donnelly; Kieran McGeary fir Burns both 39; Harry Loughran for McAliskey 48; Conall McCann for McShane 54; Declan McClure for Sludden 67

REFEREE: Joe McQuillan (Cavan)