GAA: McLarnon Cup Final Replay

Heartbreak as St Eunan's College Letterkenny lose out after extra-time

Tom Comack


Tom Comack


St Eunan's lose out after extra-time in replay

Heartbreak for St Eunan's College, Letterkenny

It was MacLarnon Cup replay heartbreak for St Eunan’s College, Letterkenny, who went down in the final seconds to Holy Trinity, Cookstown, on Friday night, in Celtic Park, Derry, after extra-time.

Holy Trinity ……. 2-8

St Eunan’s ……..0-13         
(after extra-time)

In an epic decider Holy Trinity full-back Oran Mulgrew popped over the winner in the last minute of extra-time.
The game had ended 0-12 to 2-6 at end of normal time after St Eunan’s had come from three points down with six minutes remaining to force the game to extra-time.
Shane O’Donnell, who was the outstanding footballer on view, kicked those three late points.
On the night O’Donnell scored 0-9 with 0-7 from play and was rightly named man of the match.
St Eunan’s were without big midfielder Pauric McGettigan who broke his wrist in Monday’s drawn game. And they lost their other marquee forward, Conor O’Donnell, to a red card six minutes from the end of normal time.
O’Donnell and Holy Trinity corner-back Tiernan McNamee got their marching orders for off the ball pulling and dragging.

Holy Trinity dominated the early exchanges and raced into a 1-2 to 0-1 lead.
Tiernan Mackle scored the goal on eight minutes and the big full-forward was denied another three pointer almost immediately afterwards when Eoin O’Boyle, the St Eunan’s keeper, dived bravely at the feet of Mackle.
Tiernan Quinn and Eoin Gallagher hit the Holy Trinity points after Shane O’Donnell opened the scoring for the Letterkenny boys.
Roving Mark McKearney was the man making Holy Trinity tick in those early minutes.
And it was his delivery in behind the St Eunan’s defence that created the opening for Mackle’s goal.
St Eunan’s, led by Shane O’Donnell, reeled of six points to Holy Trinity's one, to go in on level terms at half-time.
Shane O’Donnell hit three of the St Eunan’s points while Shane Doherty and Cormac Finn posted the others to leave it 0-6 to 1-3, at the break.
The sides were level twice in the opening minutes of the second period. Mark Devlin and Conor O’Donnell and Pauric Lagan and Shane O’Donnell traded points before Conor O’Donnell, from a close in free, edged St Eunan’s ahead by a point, 0-9 to 1-5, by the three quarter mark.
But the game swung in favour of Holy Trinity when Tiernan Quinn slotted home from a penalty after Tarlach Quinn was fouled by Shane Doherty, who picked up a black card.
The second goal, followed by a quick Quinn point, opened up a 2-6 to 0-9 lead, for the Tyrone boys with little over seven minutes of normal time left to play.
But man of the match, Shane O’Donnell, who had a super game, kicked three points to tie up the game in the fourth minute of injury time.
Mark Devlin had a late chance from a 40 metre free but his effort tailed wide.

Shane O’Donnell scored the only point of the first period of extra-time as St Eunan’s led 0-13 to 2-6.Tiernan Mackle levelled the game again early in the second period before Mulgrew, at the death, kicked the winner after Shane O’Donnell had been short from a 35 metre free at the other end.

ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE, LETTERKENNY: Eoin O'Boyle; James Kelly, Anthony Gallagher, Ryan Hilferty; Brian Diver, Peter McEniff, PJ McBrearty; Shane McDaid, Tony Toye; Cormac Finn (0-1), Shane Doherty (0-1), Shane O'Donnell (0-9,2f)), Conor O'Donnell (0-2,f, ’45), Shane McDevitt, Oisin Purdy, Cormac Finn. Subs: Kieran Tobin for T Toye 23; Paddy Tobin for S McDevitt 45; Oisin Cassidy for S Doherty (black card) 51; Brian Alcorn for R Hilferty 58; Michael McFadden for S McDaid 73.

HOLY TRINITY COLLEGE, COOKSTOWN: Conor Loane; Patrick Quinn, Tarlach Quinn, Tiarnan McNamee; Oran Mulgrew (0-1) , Conor Donnelly, Mark McKearney, Eoin Gallagher (0-1), Pauric Lagan (0-1); Kyran Robinson, Thomas Mackle, Shane Murphy; Tiernan Quinn (1-3,1f) , Tiernan Mackle (1-1), Mark Devlin (0-1). Subs: Dean Canavan for P Quinn 81; Aaron Moore for Tiernan Mackle h/t; Conor Quinn for S Murphy 47; Tiernan Mackle for P Lagan (black) 53; Thomas Mackle for K Robinson 55; S Murphy for E Devlin 59, Paul Quinn for M McKearney 62, Thomas Mackle for E Gallagher 74.

REFEREE: Dan Mullan (Derry).